• Advertisement

223b. Bunny Hunt

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Bunnies: Now the bunny will be more than happy to stay in his cage!
    • 4/5 Bunnies: He's got rights too, ya know!
    • 3/5 Bunnies: Did ya have to catch him that easily!?
    • 2/5 Bunnies: I DECLARE WAR ON BUNNIES!
    • 1/5 Bunnies: That ferocious vermin is ruining my French chef fantasy!

Wk4g37q.png

Premieres: 

Friday, March 30th @ 6:30pm ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, March 31st @ 10:00am ET/PT

Plot:

A sea bunny ravages Squidward's garden, but SpongeBob thinks it's cute.

Clips:

N/A

This is the closest thing we'll get to an Easter episode in SpongeBob.

Edited by jjsthekid

A lot of gags in this episode reminded me of a lot of classic humor from "Looney Tunes", as well as "Tom & Jerry". I thought it was sweet that Spongebob wanted to take care of the wild sea bunny, but with his track record of TRYING to take care of wild animals; he REALLY should've expected that he REALLY couldn't handle a wild animal! :rolleyes: I'm glad that Patrick at least actually TRIED to help Spongebob out, and most of the damage that happened genuinely WASN'T Spongebob or Patrick's fault! But I definitely did NOT expect Squidward to be the one who would DESTROY his own house! o.o At least THIS time, he has no one to blame for this mess except himself. This episode doesn't really lend itself to continuity possibilities, so highly doubtful we'll ever get to see these Sea Bunnies again. I'd probably give this episode an eight out of ten, just because I think we could've gotten a better resolution out of this episode than Squidward destroying his own house! :hysterical: Enough said! ;)

• Thanks 1

This episode did not work for me at all. The premise was alright enough and I gotta admit the sea bunnies were cute but same as some of other mediocre SpongeBob episodes in recent seasons, I wish they could have toned down the wackiness. Some of gags were okay but I didn't laugh at much when I watched this episode. Some of Squidward getting hurt by bunnies was so unnecessary and that ending left a bad taste in my mouth. Otherwise, I don't really have a strong opinion on this. It was just a mediocre wacky episode overall.

Grade: C

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

I kind of surprisingly liked this one more than I should've, but I will admit that might be a personal taste thing. A lot of it did remind me of a Looney Tunes cartoon but with SpongeBob characters in it. Since I like Looney Tunes, I might be biased on that front and appreciated it more in that regard. The zaniness didn't bug me in this one for some reason, I guess I felt it worked better here. There were some things I found amusing like Squidward declaring war, Squidward as a plant, some of the facial expressions in general, SpongeBob buying another bunny in the video game like cutaway, and the ending. I thought SpongeBob and Patrick were decently in-character as well, neither bugged me and I actually felt bad for both of them. I'm also glad it didn't turn into another "a pet annoys Gary" plot line, though I wish Gary had appeared more in the episode in some capacity. I'll say I enjoyed it for the most part, but I can see others not being a fan.

Grade: B

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 2

Parts I liked:

-Viking/Eggplant Squid. Bunny Squid maybe less. Animal control guy somehow missed the giant bunny house. (Which was cute btw :P )

-The horse of the sea can in Spongebob's fridge. But whatever Spongebob's feeding Gary that has ears and fingers in it needs to be discontinued.

-That it was only the bunny causing problems instead of Spongebob/Patrick. The incinerator remark justified Spongebob taking it. SB shouldn't drench his snail in hot sauce however.

-Patrick's burrowing battle with the bunny. "Where Is I?". 

-The insane amount of bunnies suddenly birthed in 5 seconds. 

B- I think we just have to accept the Spongey Tunes era.

• Like 1

the problem with bunny hunt and with season 11 in general is that the animators are trying so desperately to distract you with a bunch of shittastic visual comedy to distract from lackluster writing/plots/actual humor etc. at least bunny hunt is upfront about it by basically just being 11 straight minutes of visual gags and a way-too-hyper-but-at-least-hes-not-being-an-asshole spongebob being a little worse than usual with the same "new animal fucks a bunch of shit up" plot they've done enough times at this point to warrant it as a sub-category. at least gary made it out unscathed this time. 

good things: patrick, spongebob's comedically stupid ideas for getting rid of the bunny, bunny mating joke

bad things: the bunny itself, not really having a plot besides "shit get's fucked up" which i guess describes a large portion of s11 

5/10 

• Like 5
  • Happy 1
  • Sad 3

I came here because...I'm part of that bunny club on SBM too. 

Best episode of the series. It has a PERFECT ending. I'm a bunny now, you're a bunny now, we're all bunnies now! 

I hope they make Bunny Hunt 2 that would be all about Bunny Squidward.

• Happy 3
  • Sad 1
  • Confused 1

On 15.04.2018 at 8:27 PM, Honest Slug said:

Fact: This is the greatest episode of the show because Squidward is a bunny now.

10 hours ago, Wintermelon43 said:

This is the best episode of the whole series, because of I'm a Bunny Now! I'm a Bunny Now is the best thing to ever be created! This is a godly episode!

Rating: 20/10

9 hours ago, RobertCarrot said:

I came here because...I'm part of that bunny club on SBM too. 

Best episode of the series. It has a PERFECT ending. I'm a bunny now, you're a bunny now, we're all bunnies now! 

I hope they make Bunny Hunt 2 that would be all about Bunny Squidward.

8 hours ago, Wintermelon43 said:

The people who reacted with meh are all bunnies now, just in denial

Gentlemen, this isn't a meme forum.

• Sad 5
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, President Squidward said:

ironic because this site has had its own memes so im confused why sbm members cant have any fun here???

Mine was a joke post.

Plus they all reacted sad to criticisms. They had it coming. *evil laugh*

• Sad 2

I think it is worth writing why this episode is a trainwreck, and the second worst of the Season.

How "bout that story structure. As in, there is no structure to this story. In fact, calling this a story would be an insult to actual stories. The plot randomly switches from a Squidward vs the bunny plot, to Spongebob handling the bunny plot with little reason. The beginning doesn't tie into anything, besides a lame gag with Squidward (I'll get to the torture aspect later). The Spongrbob plot goes exactly nowhere. The bunny destroying Sponge and Squid's house and garden isn't amusing in the slightest. All these events that have little correlation with each other are just thrown out so we can have a dumb ending.

And the zaniness. People moan about Season 11s "zaniness" (which isn't even a good complaint in most episodes lmao, people worship 9b and act like 11 is THIS bad always (inb4 someone says that without providing actual examples, cause "criticism" for this Season has gotten this dumb and repetitive, as if saying 11 is terrible without reasons makes you a cool boy or something) even though the average 11 episode is about as "wacky" as the average 9b episode, but hey 9b is obviously hand picked by Jesus, so who am I to talk actual logic, because 11 is totally the Spongebob equivalent of Stalin), but this is one of the few times that argument is 100% valid. The episode can't go one second without some bombastic noise or crazy visuals thrown at my screen. The bunny just does the most exaggerated things with little motivation, which makes this episode all the more frustrating to watch. IDK how anyone can complain about Cave Dwelling Sponge, Man Ray Returns, or Spin the Bottle are wacky, and than ignore this. Those episodes actually slow down, this just doesn't.

Patrick and Spongebob are intolerable here. They act dumb and loud and obnoxious. They just let this bunny garbage happen, and than randomly just go on some "hunt" or whatever. Comedy gold right here guys. Squidward is abused for no reason. The story would have been so much better if they gave the bunny a proper motivation to terrorize Squidward, rather than everything happening with little set up. Have Squid run over the bunny's home, and drive the bunny away, so the bunny come back for revenge. Make it 4 minutes, and you get a great episode, but nope. We instead get this nonsensical piece of crap.

As for things I liked, I find Squidward being a french chef amusing, the exterminator's incinerator line is pretty good, and Spongebob's face while in the fridge is adorable. I mean, at least this episode has a few positives.

If Season 11 was all just like this (watch someone say it is without any examples, just watch), I could easily understand the hate. Luckily it's not, which makes this episode look worse. I'll be generous and give it a 2.5/10, maybe a little better or little worse depending on my mood. I knew this would be bad, and yet it still stunned me at just how awful it is

• Sad 3

Originally written: April 18th, 2018

So recently an epidemic has been sweeping around SpongeBuddy Mania, turning almost every user it comes into contact with into bunnies. Of course, such an epidemic never would have existed had it not been for the cheap ending portrayed in the recent episode, Bunny Hunt. Of course, I was concerned about this episode's overall quality upon reading it's synopsis for the very first time back in January, given how...oh how should I put it...unstructured the plotline sounded. It sounded like it had no general clear direction, especially given the abstract excuse of SpongeBob's liking for the bunny (He thinks it's cute. Sounds like a synopsis you'd come across on the SpongeBob Fandom Wikia). Regardless, this episode generally produced an ending so controversial, it's ironic disease has swooped the forums, claiming all sorts of victims. Doctors are struggling to fight the epidemic in crowded hospitals and gardens.

ta5x1.jpg

Oh no! It's too late! My writing has already stooped down to Season 10-level of comedy!

Anyway, after my internet had to shut off at the most inconvenient of times on Monday, it's time I review this episode again (And hopefully it'll reach into public eye).

Essentially, there is no clear plot structure. The episode is centered around the excuse of nothing more than visual gags surrounding the sea bunny. Which brings us, of course, to the most damaging plothole to the episode's conflict. It's very obvious the bunny is an homage to bugs, c'mon, his torment on Squidward's garden is akin to that of your most watered down Bugs Bunny gags. However, what Lawrence got wrong severely with developing this new character was cutting out any proper lack of motivation. Bugs could act like the biggest stinker anyone's ever met, but it was always warranted, due to being kicked around previously during the conflict's setup. Essentially, Bugs was usually abused to an extent before unleashing his antics on his opposing foes. That way, all of the nonsense Bugs inflicts on folks like Elmer, and Yosemite Sam is justified, as Bugs is only reacting towards such villains. Bugs himself won't cause any problems, he'll just go on his merry way, doing whatever pleases him, in a nice peaceful manner. But when say his house is threatened, or when he's threatened, of course you know that means war.

The biggest failure in regards to the bunny is that he has no reason to be an annoyance. We don't get any proper setup, or introduction to his character. We literally jump right into the antics the moment he pops up on screen. He's not pushed around in any particular way by Squidward. Heck, the most basic of setups you could've done by having Squidward build over the bunny's habitat is an option that's entirely ignored! As a result, the bunny isn't funny, not in the slightest. He's just an obnoxious pest, causing pure destruction all around. And it's not like he's a clear antagonist, I feel as though this episode tries to make him a character you root for, given Squidward's "comeuppance" at the end for trying to attack the bunny earlier. All of the gags with this Bunny feel heavily Bugs Bunny influenced, but that key missing factor of making the Bunny's actions justified, therefore making him an actual protagonist, rather than just a nuisance completely botches his execution as a character! He's not funny, he's just annoying, spewing out the most generic visual gags you could possibly think of (Especially given that he's a Bugs Bunny homage).

Of course, if the episode actually tried to center around a storyline, rather than just pure chaos for 11 minutes, we might've actually gotten a proper introduction to this character. Of course, the episode doesn't have a clear direction, SpongeBob just brings in the bunny under his wing and all hell breaks loose. Even though I really hated Fun-Sized Friends, I will give it credit that it delivered a properly structured storyline. This episode is as loose as an anarchy-influenced civilization.

So while the storyline is super dull, and quite a good majority of the gags in this episode feel unnecessary in part of being associated with an obnoxious character, I will give the episode credit where it's due. There are quite a bundle of funny gags throughout the episode. Heck, the opening scene where Squidward acts like a French chef is hilarious! And while I find most of the visual gags centering around the bunny to be cheap gags, I do find the concept of traveling through SpongeBob's walls to be pretty funny. There are quite a good amount of small little  gags throughout the episode, from Patrick being in the animal control guy's truck, to Squidward's use of his carrot costume, this episode was surprisingly funnier than I expected it to be. Now what about that infamous ending which has inflicted a plague unlike any other?

Well, yes the gag with Squidward becoming a bunny is an incredibly lazy way to cut off an episode (Notice how I don't refer to it as an ending, because it hardly is one), but at least the "transformation" itself wasn't a result of Squidward driving himself mad (Like in say, Whirly-Brains or whenever he saw an urchin in The Incredible Shrinking Sponge), so I honestly didn't find the ending to be as awful as I thought it would've been. Yes, it's still a bad ending, but Squidward's done a lot more worse freakouts in the Post-Prequel era, so I honestly don't consider this ending too bad.

Overall, I'd say Bunny Hunt is a light Bad Episode. I was originally going to give it an "Okay", but the sloppy story structure is so terrible, I have to give it a bad. I give this episode a 4.9/10