• Advertisement

Ask Me Anything (Spin-Off Edition)

TJ

In this thread, you're free to ask me anything related to my spin-offs, writing process, past works, future works, etc. You may also ask in-universe questions about my characters or shows if you wish to as well.

And remember to tune into this week's massive four part crossover event!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jjsthekid said:

What has been your favorite work to write so far out of them all?

This is a great question, because I feel like there are two or three that I could argue for this one. With Team SpongeBob - it's my baby, the first show I ever made, and over time I enjoyed writing it more and more because of how well I honed my skills while working on it. But with Miss Appear - that show is literally me writing out aspects of my life into a fictional narrative. It's like therapy honestly. So, I'm gonna give the slight edge to MA.

2 hours ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

What are your plans for the spin-off future? Anything non-Teenjverse related?

Aside from Knights of the Multiverse (which released recently), I don't have any new works in the pipeline, but I'm always considering new ideas in my head. Which is funny, because a lot of those ideas are non-Teenjverse related. As of right now though, my spin-off future will just focus on my current shows.

11 hours ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

What is your writing process?

Whenever I start on a new season for my shows, I always do a rough outline first of what I want to go down in the season. How the season/episodes play out may end up differing a bit from the first drafts, but it's always important for me to have a base to go off of. Below is an example of a mock-up/outline I did over a year ago for Miss Appear's 2nd season:

Outline Example.png

And after I begin working on an episode, it could take me anywhere from a day to half a week to finish it (largely depends on how busy I am that week).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

Cool. I'm starting to do something similar for MR: Masked Rider. Wanna see?

Sure

Spoiler

First two episodes: Premiere
Next 14 episodes: studying character dynamics (first half involving Dex and X character, with appropriate MOTW; second half focusing on specific characters)
Episodes 15 and 16: Dex-centered episodes
Episodes 17 -24: Introduction of Lum; just like episodes 3-14, next seven episodes after her introduction focus on character dynamics
Episodes 25 and 26: Introductions of Ran and Rei, respectively
Episodes 27-50: unknown; for now, filler
Episodes 51 and 52: season finale, Dregon is defeated

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Episodes 1-2: Season premiere; introduction of Decade as the second (and final) season's primary villain
Episodes 3-6: 1st World arc
Episodes 7-10: 2nd World arc
Episodes 11-14: 3rd World arc
Episodes 15-18: 4th World Arc
Episodes 19-22: 5th World arc
Episodes 23-26: 6th World arc
Episodes 27-30: 7th World arc
Episodes 31-34: 8th World arc
Episodes 35-38: 9th World arc
Episodes 39-42: 10th World arc
Episodes 43-46: 11th World arc
Episodes 47-50: 12th World arc
Episodes 51-52: Series finale

What do you think?

2 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:
  Hide contents

First two episodes: Premiere
Next 14 episodes: studying character dynamics (first half involving Dex and X character, with appropriate MOTW; second half focusing on specific characters)
Episodes 15 and 16: Dex-centered episodes
Episodes 17 -24: Introduction of Lum; just like episodes 3-14, next seven episodes after her introduction focus on character dynamics
Episodes 25 and 26: Introductions of Ran and Rei, respectively
Episodes 51 and 52: season finale, Dregon is defeated

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Episodes 1-2: Season premiere; introduction of Decade as the second (and final) season's primary villain
Episodes 3-6: 1st World arc
Episodes 7-10: 2nd World arc
Episodes 11-14: 3rd World arc
Episodes 15-18: 4th World Arc
Episodes 19-22: 5th World arc
Episodes 23-26: 6th World arc
Episodes 27-30: 7th World arc
Episodes 31-34: 8th World arc
Episodes 35-38: 9th World arc
Episodes 39-42: 10th World arc
Episodes 43-46: 11th World arc
Episodes 47-50: 12th World arc
Episodes 51-52: Series finale

What do you think?

Looks like you've got it all figured out. The many benefits of doing pre-planning, indeed.

1 minute ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

Yeah, I even know how to plan out filler! XD

Speaking of filler, how you willingly done anything of the sort when ideas are spent?

Oh yeah, of course. I think good filler is when the episode still relates to the fringes of the main plot of the season or deepens a show/character's mythology. That was something I found myself doing a lot for Team SpongeBob's last few seasons. Lately, I've been beginning to apply the same to Miss Appear.

12 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

So, in that case, what would suggest I do with the remaining 23 episodes of MR: Masked Rider season 1, if they're gonna be filler (because let's face it, they most likely are)?

3 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

So, in that case, what would suggest I do with the remaining 23 episodes of MR: Masked Rider season 1, if they're gonna be filler (because let's face it, they most likely are)?

Focus on character mythology or further world building. Don't totally ignore the main threat/plot, but rather keep it on the periphery. That's what I would do.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

What are your thoughts on MOTWs?

I think they can be effective and functional for a work, depending on how they're written. It all goes back to making good filler.