• Advertisement

The Grinch

Clappy

So it’s been news for years that Illumination was working on more Seuss adaptations after The Lorax made them hundreds of millions of dollars.  One of the stories was an animated adaptation of The Grinch.  I was rather indifferent about the 2000 live action Jim Carrey movie, but I was open to seeing if this version would be more faithful to the Dr. Seuss story.  Especially after casting one of my favorite actors, Benedict Cumberbatch, as the title character.

And based off this teaser, my early thoughts  are concerning.  This felt like a very Despicable Me-esque take on the character from The Grinch acting very much like Gru to the “Happy” alarm clock joke.  Him being super nice to Max felt very out of character.  The sight gags at the grocery store felt more fitting at least.

It’s just a teaser, but hopefully the other trailers give me less vibes that this is just another pandering Illumination film and more of a faithful Seuss adaptation.

The only good thing in that was the Grinch getting smacked by the inflatable and the small gag about him having different skins based on how miserable he is,  at least they tried with the store gag though, if my mood wasn't ruined by the forced playing of Happy and his obnoxiously bright and colorful lair I might've still been interested enough to enjoy that. Everything else looks like typical Illumination proving themselves to be some of the lowest quality via their pandering to massive audiences though, not expecting anything besides a big bowl of meh. Skipping this one unless I keep hearing that it somehow turns out worse than the live action Cat in the Hat then my curiosity would just get the best of me.

Another new trailer has been posted:

At the very least the animation looks decent as per usual with Illumination.  But that’s always my main compliment when it comes to their studio.

My main takeaway is that the comedy was VERY unfunny.  Like not a single joke in this trailer worked for me and there was a crap ton of new jokes.  Even the pickle gag got reused from the last one and it wasn’t as funny as it was the first time I saw it.

Benedict Cumberbatch still has the charisma but so far I’m becoming increasingly skeptical that this will even be better than the 2000 Grinch.

Also why couldn’t we have left the screaming goat meme in 2013 where it belongs?

Honestly, they'd be better off and FAR more financially successful if they just take Chuck Jones' 1966 animated classic, and simply put it into the computer, spruce it up to give it HD image quality and 64 bit sound, and just release THAT instead! :rolleyes: If they're going to go to the trouble of remaking something, why not remake something that hasn't been REMADE into a movie before, like "Casablanca"? Sure, it would probably be inferior to the original version, but at LEAST it would be more original than THIS idea! o.o Ron Howard couldn't improve upon Chuck Jones' masterpiece, and that was WHEN Chuck Jones was still alive! No points for guessing how SHALLOW this re-make will probably end up being! Enough said, true believers!