• Advertisement

Mary Poppins Returns

Clappy

The sequel over fifty years in the making.  And before anyone brings up Hollywood’s unoriginality, I would like to point out that there were multiple Mary Poppins stories written by P.L. Travers.  So it’s probably an adaptation of another story besides the timeless one that became the iconic movie that it is today.

But yeah, I get the hesitation about a sequel so many years later.  I feel that way too.  I’m still probably going to go see it because of all the talent that was involved making this from Emily Blunt acting to Lin-Manuel Miranda acting and writing original songs to Rob Marshall directing.  That’s too much good talent going to waste on what many comments I’ve seen consider an unnecessary sequel.  But I definitely get why so many people feel that way and I can’t help but feel it too.

On 3/8/2018 at 1:11 PM, NegiSpongie said:

But didn't Travers say that she never wanted anymore Mary Poppins movies made?

I have no idea, but I do know that P.L. Travers isn't alive anymore, so it kind of doesn't matter what she wanted. Besides, I'm sure that even if she WERE, Disney would have probably PAID her a lot of money to change her mind. :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, 4EverGreen said:

Why would you want a GUY to play Mary Poppins?! o.o That LITERALLY makes no sense to me...unless that's your idea of a joke.

It makes perfect sense if you’ve seen Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

• Like 1

Can't say I was ever interested in the original Mary Poppins movie, but I have enough interest in the legacy of the movie (see Saving Mr. Banks, a biopic starring Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks as Travers and Disney), and quite frankly, it's honestly not a terrible movie.

While I would never have said I'd want a Mary Poppins sequel, I'd still watch this. I think Emily Blunt will do a fine job at being Mary Poppins.