• Advertisement

229a. Doodle Dimension

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Pencils: You're no match for my doodle squad!
    • 4/5 Pencils: Pretty nifty, huh?
    • 3/5 Pencils: Oops, forgot to draw the ground.
    • 2/5 Pencils: Let me out of here!
    • 1/5 Pencils: And under no circumstances should you ever touch this!

35gbyhd.png

Premieres: 

Friday, March 9th @ 6:30pm ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, March 17th @ 11:30am ET/PT

Plot:

SpongeBob and Patrick become trapped in an alternate dimension where anything they draw comes to life

Clips:

N/A

After 16 long years, DoodleBob finally returns. While I am intrigued by this, I don't want to get too excited either so I don't overhype myself. I don't expect it to touch "Frankendoodle' at all, but I just hope it can do its own thing. 

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 3

Story looks a little worrisome with Patrick being boisterous and not remembering DoodleBob when there's no reason not to, especially with the continuity the past few seasons, but good visual gags can still make up for it though such as the eyebrows.

It's possible they don't recognize him until he puts on the eyebrows (since that might be the image they remember most), considering how the clip was playing that up before it ended. Granted that would be kind of dumb for the two, though not unbelievable, I guess. We'll have to wait and see.

Edited by jjsthekid

I liked it. But, I think SpongeBob and Patrick should've remembered DoodleBob before they drew him. Like, it seems they didn't recognize him until the eyebrows.

While it wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be, I still enjoyed it. I really liked the visuals in the episode, and I liked the doodle versions of their friends in the episode and how DoodleBob turned them evil. Even if SpongeBob and Patrick didn't really acknowledge DoodleBob from before, it was nice that they at least remembered his name. It kinda looked like DoodleBob's voice was just snippets of his lines from "Frankendoodle". Still it was a pretty good episode.

I have mixed feelings on this one. It wasn't bad, but I can't really say I loved it either. Middle of the road for me. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't get my expectations too high or I would've been more negative on this. To start, I did not like the first half of the episode. SpongeBob and Patrick were so stupid beyond belief and it wasn't even funny. Not to mention it went on way too long and felt like a padded out setup. The second half of the episode was fine. However, SpongeBob randomly having the pencil inside of him felt pretty contrived and out of nowhere. It was also still unclear if the two even really recognized Doodlebob, which makes this one kind of iffy in being a "sequel", but whatever. If nothing else, I did enjoy the drawing war that went on, it was visually interesting and the best part of the episode. I also like how "squeaky" came into play and helped defeat Doodlebob's forces, that was clever use of a random gag. Again, not a bad episode, and I could see others enjoying it. However, as much as I appreciate the crew for bringing him back, I think Doodlebob was best left as a one-off.

Grade: C+

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 3

Not going to lie. I really enjoyed watching this episode, couple of minutes after the episode started anyway but I couldn't help but find this episode disappointing because it was a sequel to Frakendoodle but it didn't even bring up the events of that episode. I understand this show isn't a show with a good continuity and I don't expect it to be, maybe they thought the new viewers don't know DoodleBob, so they reintroduced him but if you are gonna bring back a character from the past, you can at least acknowledge its history. So I found SpongeBob and Patrick not knowing DoddleBob was so jarring to see. The humor didn't click with me. First minutes were annoying and none of the gags worked for me, except for the nuts gag but the humor afterwards was acceptable. What made me like the episode was obviously the excitement of SpongeBob and Patrick battling against DoodleBob. Those parts were awesome and the animation of this episode was on point. I liked seeing doodle versions of Sandy, Squidward, Mr. Krabs and Gary. The ending was kind of funny as well. 

Overall, a good episode but such a disappointing sequel to Frakendoodle, one of the funniest and most creative episodes in the show. I didn't expect this episode to be in the same quality as that one but I could at least expect some callbacks and the characters remembering DoodleBob. Perhaps the show should stop doing sequels to older episodes, unless they are actually gonna remember the events of the original episodes.

Grade: B

• Like 1

I thought it was very interesting that Spongebob and Patrick wound up entering Doodlebob's dimension, and had to deal with him there in HIS dimension, rather than having to deal with Doodlebob in their own dimension! Doodlebob certainly used the rules of his dimension to his advantage, and used some new tricks to try to win the battle! Did not expect the balloon named Squeaky to be the thing that beat him! I think if they just cut out the filler stuff from the beginning, and made this a shorter segment (like "Reef Blower" or "Don't Wake Patrick"), it would've been a better episode. But I'll still give it an eight out of ten for effort.

• Confused 1

Cons:

-The insistence on being as vague as possible as to whether Doodlebob has been encountered before. For all the episode makes clear, Spongebob only coined that term for him on the spot.

-In the original the pencil is given a mystical backstory, is sent back up, and breaks. Here? Spongebob pulls it out of his head in perfect shape as if it were nothing. Lazy and contradictory. This could have been easily solved if the pencil was just laying out in the open of the dimension void. (Squidward's void panic was better btw). 

-Every scene in the treedome. Including that "gimme my nuts" wet fart of an ending. Do a Sandy episode some other time if you aren't going to let her meet Doodlebob. There were more creative ways to introduce that dimension.

-Following up on Sandy not meeting Doodlebob, why did it have to be just Spongebob and Patrick again? A sequel should have a new hook to it, the idea of the larger cast helping defeat Doodlebob could be promising. There's even a doodle squad here so they could have fought their counterparts.

Pros:

-Doodlebob himself wasn't butchered. Still a smart and sociopathic doodle. His hijinx were in-character and his exploits were nicely animated. The only 3-4 minutes of the episode with any effort. Could've been a strong short.

Doodlebob: A

Execution on everything else: F

• Like 1
  • Happy 1
  • Sad 1

Originally written: April 18th, 2018

So much done right...but so much done wrong. There are so many great things about this episode, the creativity, the doodle dimension itself, the hillbilly, the amazing setup to the conflict, but there are so many bad things about this episode, the significant plot hole, the annoying stupidity of our protagonists, tons of forgettable jokes and missed opportunities, the reliance on DoodleBob's iconic status, rather than featuring a legitimate reason for DoodleBob to be present. I'm very torn on this episode, as there was a lot this episode did right, and a lot this episode did wrong.

So let's talk about the plot. First of all, I find the plot insanely creative. The doodle dimension concept is brilliant, I think it was a fantastic idea on Luke's behalf, and I especially enjoy how on it's own, it's nothing more than a semblance of a blank sheet of paper. Furthermore, I think it was a fantastic environment for DoodleBob's comeback. There was no better alternative to this marvelous atmosphere created specifically for such an occasion. But! There is a huge plot hole within this episode. Frankendoodle was a classic, I can't deny that, it's one of the most famous episodes in the series, right up there with Band Geeks and Pizza Delivery. The essential key to making the episode work was the Magic pencil. The setup to the plot was simplistic and brilliant, simply an artist loosing his pencil at sea. The way the pencil works underwater is what essentially forms the plot, with the creation of living drawings influencing the creation of DoodleBob. Essentially, SpongeBob and Patrick are given time to figure out how the pencil itself is used, drawing a few creatures before the creation of DoodleBob.

This episode completely messes up the core conception of DoodleBob. If DoodleBob is to be reintroduced (Without any nods to his previous existence, due to the series' lack of continuity), the magic pencil's presence is a necessity. This episode of course features a magic pencil, but there's no explanation why SpongeBob has it! Don't get me wrong, the setup to this episode was amazing, when it comes to introducing us to the Doodle Dimension. The portal was a creative and fascinating gateway into the Doodle Dimension (Supplying us with the hilarious hillbilly), but SpongeBob literally pulls the magic pencil out of nowhere. Why!? Why does he have a magic pencil with him!? It's not the magic pencil from Frankendoodle, that one was sent back to the surface. Luke could've just easily had the pencil placed on some sort of shrine as an indicator that this is the line (Heh-heh, no pun intended) between creation and the dimension's sheer existence, and it would've worked perfectly! Heck, he could've had it just lie around randomly in the dimension, and it still would've worked out! It's reason to exist is to bring life, as indicated through the sentience of SpongeBob's "screech lines". But no, SpongeBob welds the pencil, and effectively creates an alarming plot hole!

Now we gotta talk about DoodleBob's presence in the episode. His overall performance, whether he was out of character or not. I feel as though Luke was very mixed on how to handle DoodleBob's role in the episode. It's obvious he wanted to make this kind of a continuation of Frankendoodle, but at the same time didn't want the episodes to be connected at all. As a result, Patrick and SpongeBob have never met DoodleBob before, yet they act like they've known him forever the moment he starts attacking them (After growing to such a large size). If you're going to disconnect this episode from the original, fine, that's perfectly fine. But build some time for the audience to understand who DoodleBob is, if this is supposed to reboot the character. Don't go off banking that everyone knows who DoodleBob is, I mean it's obvious we know who he is, his status as an icon in the series is the reason this episode existed in the first place. What I'm so confused about is why Luke couldn't simply solve the episode's sloppy reintroduction of DoodleBob (His creation is out of pure randomness on Patrick's behalf), by just making this a sequel to Frankendoodle! Have SpongeBob and Patrick instantly recognize the character, maybe have them draw some new characters, and those characters would bring DoodleBob back to life. I don't understand why we were able to get a full continuation to Bubble Buddy, still remembering the events of the original, while this has to be a weird alternate timeline in which SpongeBob and Patrick never encountered DoodleBob before. He's only back for nostalgia, right? Bank on it properly and just go all out with making this a sequel! Keep the Doodle Dimension atmosphere, that's perfectly fine! It won't give the audience a direct notice that "Hey! This is DoodleBob's big return!". Another big problem with the failure of this episode's execution is how SpongeBob instantly holds great talent with using the pencil. Yes, he was more skilled than Patrick was with it in Frankendoodle, but for goodness sake, he starts constructing Conch St. the moment that pencil is pulled out! And it would make sense for him to be really skilled with the pencil, had this episode acknowledged Frankendoodle's existence in the first place.

As for how DoodleBob is written, I don't see any problems with him as a character. He's perfectly in character, Luke didn't botch his personality at all. Granted, he isn't as phenomenal of an antagonist as he was in Frankendoodle, but I have a feeling that's a given, you can't strike gold twice. I have a feeling that Doodlebob was a more effective antagonist in Frankendoodle, because he was a more apparent threat in that scenario. He was the odd one out, he was a living drawing roaming around the real world, that's pretty messed up. And given the power he could have with the magic pencil, there are real stakes in that environment. In Doodle Dimension's case, DoodleBob is a living drawing in an entirely different dimension. It's a whole other feeling when he's roaming around in SpongeBob's world, he blends right in, in this dimension. Which is why I guess he's not as fantastic of a threat as he was in Frankendoodle. He's still DoodleBob, no doubt about it. I just think his overall presence is less threatening than it is fan service.

Speaking of characters, SpongeBob and Patrick are absolutely obnoxious in this episode. Yes, I can say this is the first episode in the Post-Prequel era in which SpongeBob's character is completely botched. His overall stupidity is best demonstrated in the awful excuse for the not-so-dynamic-duo's pushing of buttons on Sandy's machine. That idiotic gag was wrapped up within a matter of seconds (Mind you, much funnier seconds) in a clever fashion in Sandy's Rocket. Patrick is just nothing more than a brain dead ape wandering about screwing things up. He creates DoodleBob for no reason other than he's stupid, his "Nyah-Nyah-Nyah-Nyah-Nyah" was an incredibly lazy and awful gag, and his constant butt gags are nothing more than irritating cop-outs for what could've been clever, well thought out gags. Patrick and SpongeBob are both idiotic protagonists throughout a good chunk of the episode. The rest they're just meh, nothing really special about them, they seem to be alright (More towards the end when DoodleBob kidnaps Patrick).

Speaking of DoodleBob capturing Patrick, I must say for an episode emphasizing heavily on endless creativity with a pencil, there certainly are lackluster gags in the Doodle Dimension. A good chunk of them are simplistic, super forgettable visuals that don't leave an impression on me lasting more than 10 seconds. Still, I did find quite a bundle of funny gags, from the "Lack of ground" line from SpongeBob, and the hillbilly's gags were hilarious. Plus, I found the usage of Sandy's hamster wheel in the invention as a hilarious little detail thrown in. I found the introduction to the Doodle Dimension, where SpongeBob and Patrick first arrive, to be very well structured. The emptiness of the dimension certainly gives a feeling of surreal-ness, and definitely gives us some enjoyable running sequences.

Overall, I had a pleasant time watching Doodle Dimension. I didn't want to rip my eyes out like I was watching Old Man Patrick or Fun-Sized Friends, I actually had a lot of fun watching this episode. It was just there were some really big plot holes that effectively screw with the episode's plot development, and some annoyances like SpongeBob and Patrick's flanderized stupidity.

I'd say this is an Okay Episode.

It's Entertainment value is a 7/10, but counting all that's wrong with it, I'd give it a 6/10.

27 minutes ago, Coffee_lover said:

This is a GOOD episode because it don’t have distracting backgrounds,instead it have no backgrounds at all. 

also it has totally original setpiece of doodle dimension that holds episode together

also yes it has white background

this combination of great elements make this episode not just good but GODLY

Edited by Klu
  • Funny 1
  • God Himself 1

Decided to re-watch this one, and I liked it a lot for what it was, but it felt more like a re-imagining of the Frankendoodle episode, when I though it should've been more of a continuation to the episode. This episode was good, but it had so much more potential when bringing back a character that had not been seen since SEASON 2.