• Advertisement

Toenail scene vs. Flamethrower scene

Steel Sponge

So, here's an interesting discussion I thought on. Which of these is worse, or which of these is the lesser of two evils?

I thought on a discussion between these two scenes since they have some things in common. Right off the bat, they are two of the most infamous scenes from the show. Starting off with a scene from "House Fancy" is the toenail scene, where SpongeBob tries helping Squidward with moving a sofa only to let it go a few times and slam it on his single toenail because "I told you not to move until I said- OWWW!"

The kicker here is that Squidward's toenail gets ripped out with flesh coming from it too. It is the scene that you'd never, NEVER not catch anyone bringing it up when they discuss the episode, when they discuss why they don't like the episode, and when they discuss post-movie SpongeBob's problems (i.e. something along the lines of "the show used to be funny, but it now it just has characters' toenails getting ripped out even tho it only happened once lel.") This particular scene only happened once, but for the longest time, the scene has become infamous to the point where it is a period piece in post-movie SpongeBob's dive in quality.

The flamethrower scene is from the episode "Pet Sitter Pat," which involves Patrick trying to give Gary a bath. Of course, Gary doesn't want one, and so then Patrick gets the idea of giving Gary a bath with the exact opposite method, and points a flamethrower towards him. The scene is considered as a solid example of Patrick's stupidity at its worst, and when people talk about why they hated "Pet Sitter Pat," the scene will pretty much always be brought up. It's another incredibly infamous scene that's quite up there in the toenail scene's legacy.

There's a lot of other infamous SpongeBob scenes, but the two I went with had a fairly easy comparison. Some of you guys were probably expecting me to bring up the two scenes with suicidal Plankton and Squidward, but of course, I don't want to start a war in the comments.

Now, if I have to make a choice between the two that I could tolerate better...I could've said that I don't really care for both, but it's the infamous scene from "Pet Sitter Pat" that I can handle better. Yes, it was a scene that was led up from a lot of other dumb Patrick moments, but...it's a cartoon. Even if Gary gets hit by a flamethrower, he'd survive but appear burnt to a crisp. Squidward survived not one but TWO gasoline explosions in the cut scene from "Just One Bite."

The toenail scene from "House Fancy," it's kinda annoying how it's almost exactly 10 years since the episode came out and it's still being brought up as we speak, but I'm not going to lie when I say that it got me feeling uneasy the first time I saw it, and I think that's what the scene was trying to accomplish by making all its viewers feeling disgusted.

So, I want to know what anyone else here thinks. Whatever stance any of you have towards one scene or both, feel free to discuss.

9 hours ago, Wumbo said:

if i vote the toenail scene can we please lay this dead horse to rest once and for all

To be fair, the scene was never dead to begin with. It has been lodged into our minds since we all first witnessed it and it will be in our minds until the day we die. If we're all gonna have to put it to rest, we need to get rid of the source...

Joking aside, yes. I wouldn't keep discussion of the scene as taboo, but we might as well have to leave it where it should lie. I thought the scene would be a good subject for this debate, but I knew I would be beating a dead horse then. Just saying.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 1

The toenail scene has like no effect on me nowadays since I've seen it so many times.

As for the flamethrower scene I can't understand why people think this is as scary/gross/gory as the toenail scene. It's literally just fire?

9 minutes ago, NegiSpongie said:

Why are people worried about Gary getting hurt by a flamethrower? They live underwater. 

Meh, I just don't think it's funny to suggest the idea of doing that to a pet, even if it's "just a cartoon." I'm not going to call it the worst scene ever but I don't care for it.

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, neither of those scenes really affect me that much. However, if I had to choose one of them, it would be the flamethrower scene, probably because it's not as detailed, I think...? Eh, then again, The Splinter doesn't really affect me that much either.