• Advertisement

SpongeBob will NOT be canceling

Guest hilaryfan80

Guest hilaryfan80

There's been a rumor going around that SpongeBob will be canceling on March 1st. This is not true!

The official SpongeBob SquarePants Facebook page posted this:

But of course, I don't think that anyone on SBC actually believed it in the first place. This is more or less a PSA for anyone who did.

Hooray! :plankton2:

Guest hilaryfan80
On 2/26/2018 at 12:11 AM, Katniss said:

"SpongeBob will not be canceling"

I thought you were an English major? :funny: 

You're right! It's widely regarded that "canceled" is an acceptable spelling, and you can find it in almost every dictionary:

5a9399fd9bd29ScreenS.png

The more you know!

On 2/26/2018 at 12:25 AM, Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:

You're right! It's widely regarded that "canceled" is an acceptable spelling, and you can find it in almost every dictionary:

5a9399fd9bd29ScreenS.png

The more you know!

No I know about the different spellings, I just thought it made more sense to say "will not be canceled" instead of "will not be canceling" :P 

Guest hilaryfan80
Just now, Katniss said:

No I know about the different spellings, I just thought it made more sense to say "will not be canceled" instead of "will not be canceling" :P 

Well, I cannot use "canceled" because it's not past tense (it hasn't happened and will not happen). If I had use "canceled," I would have to use the past participle phrase "had not canceled." My use of "will not be canceling" is fine since I'm using the present participle form, but it is passive. If I want an active voice, I should use "SpongeBob is not canceling," but what I wrote is fine.

I hope this helps!

Guest hilaryfan80
Just now, Hayden said:

This literally circulates every year, this didn't need a thread hilaryfan80

I'm aware :P

1 hour ago, Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:

I don't think that anyone on SBC actually believed it in the first place. This is more or less a PSA for anyone who did.

Ah, feels like just yesterday when #SaveSpongebob was trending over a supposed January 28th cancellation a few years back. Sweet memories of having to explain to cousins on how that would not happen...

SpongeBob cancellation rumors are nothing more than a race to announce it first the way I'm seeing it now. Why are some folk still believing in these things? The first time I saw cancellation rumors circulating around the net, it involved news about a kid, who wanted to see SpongeBob, drowning in the ocean - that in which was merely 12 years back.

Edited by Steel Sponge

13 hours ago, Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:

Well, I cannot use "canceled" because it's not past tense (it hasn't happened and will not happen). If I had use "canceled," I would have to use the past participle phrase "had not canceled." My use of "will not be canceling" is fine since I'm using the present participle form, but it is passive. If I want an active voice, I should use "SpongeBob is not canceling," but what I wrote is fine.

I hope this helps!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1