• Advertisement

228b. Grandmum's the Word

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Grandmas: You're darn right I own the Krusty Krab grandma, and I can't wait to give you a tour tomorrow morning!
    • 4/5 Grandmas: Oh Sheldon, you're so romantic.
    • 3/5 Grandmas: How am I gonna fool grandma?
    • 2/5 Grandmas: I told you to never call me on this screen!
    • 1/5 Grandmas: Get back to work!

(No promo image available at this time)

Premieres: 

Friday, February 16th @ 6:00pm ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, February 17th @ 10:45am ET/PT

Saturday, February 17th @ 6:45pm ET/PT

Plot:

Plankton tells his grandma that he owns the Krusty Krab, but must keep the lie going when she comes to visit.

Clips:

N/A

Edited by jjsthekid

Definitely the best of the week. A very fun episode with many great gags. While the concept of a character pretending to own something they don't has been used quite a lot of times, this episode managed to make it entertaining in spite of that. Plankton's Grandma turning out to have been planning on stealing the formula the whole time was a great twist, and the fact Plankton truly didn't know made it better. Grandma Plankton crushing on Squidward was really weird, but funny. I really had no negatives to say about it.

Grade: A

• Like 2

"One Pathetic Sob-Story Later".

Once we hit that point it started becoming pretty classic (Spongebob's sign twirling bullshit and Karen getting mad at Ray Ray were familiar territory)

But it was nice to see Plankton being honest about his objective and Krabs actually helping his old friend out with no strings attached.

Krabs having a tattoo of his grandma was a fun Krabs gag (heck this episode avoided lazy money jokes entirely). The Krusty Plankton was much better than how the restaurant usually looks. (smirk) Krabs should've made Plankton a mascot.

Poor Karen being disapproved of by the CPU-ist grandma. Spongebob deserved that purse slap for teasing poor Squidward with a nose tickle. Squidward will never be free of the trauma of having his tongue in wrinkly Plankton mouth but at least he didn't become a full time slave like in the fantasy sequence.

Plankton, if she thought you owned the place, why would she be helping you steal it? :P

WHY WHY did this episode push the censorship bar so much? A-

• Like 1

When you watch this episode in a crappy leak.

lpwvj9szfch01.jpg

What a wonderful episode. Easily the best of the week. I wasn't so sure of this premise but it totally worked out well. I loved that Mr. Krabs accepted Plankton's request and he turned everything Plankton and it was surprising to see Grandma Plankton stealing the formula but Plankton not being aware of it and I laughed when Grandma Plankton refused to share the fornula with Plankton and as a result Plankton feel into ketchup. Plankton becoming Ray Ray, Plankton's, honest and cute eye and Grandma Plankton falling in love with Squidward were some of the funniest gags of this episode, heck funniest of this season. The feeding part was gross but I can let it slide. Mr. Lawrence has been a mostly great writer for new era of SpongeBob, keep up the good work.

Grade: A

So, with this episode segment, this batch of new "Spongebob Squarepants" episode segments, had three STRONG segments (this segment being one of them); one good segment ("Don't Feed the Clowns"), and two mediocre segments ("Old Man Patrick" and "Fun-Sized Friends"). It seems that Plankton now has a brand new romantic alter-ego with Ray-Ray (REALLY hopes that it becomes a permanent thing and not a one-time gag), and it REALLY shows how much Plankton really DOES love Karen! :D Speaking of,  Iwish they had done more with Karen in this episode segment; but it was STILL a pretty great episode segment! Plankton's Sincere side is just SO full of epic WIN!! :cool:  Could've lived without seeing Plankton's Grandmother eating off of Squidward's tongue, but that's a minor complaint. We really don't get to see older females ACTIVELY pursuing a crush in much younger adult males (old Tex Avery cartoons are an exception to the rule), on TV often, so this episode segment really pushed the bar on it!o.o Totally was NOT expecting the twist on Plankton's Grandma trying to steal the Secret Krabby Patty for HERSELF, and not even SHARING the glory with Plankton! Thankfully for everyone else, her old age turned out to be her weakness, as she fell asleep before she could COMMIT to her vision of turning Squidward into a slave! This is definitely going to be seen as a classic episode in later years to come! Final score: 99/100! (I had to take off one point for Grandma Plankton eating off of Squidward's tongue). Enough said! ;)

I really enjoyed this episode. Seeing Plankton being romantic with Karen was great and not something you see too often (Ray-Ray!) I was expecting to see the whole lie come apart bit by bit, but pretty impressive that they made it work. I totally didn't expect the twist with Grandma Plankton to be after the formula as well and be just as evil as Plankton. Her getting a crush on Squidward was kinda funny as well as Plankton's "honest" face. Can't really think of anything in this episode I didn't like.

Originally written: April 18th, 2018

Let's flashback to several years ago. An episode by the name of Grandma's Secret Recipe premiered on the network. It remains one of the worst of several terrible episodes from SpongeBob's abysmal Seventh Season. However, many years later comes an episode trying to clear the bad name of Plankton's Grandmother, in an episode called Grandmum's the Word, and wow. I really don't know what to say about this episode.

Firstly, this was a really bold move on Mr. Lawrence's behalf. Many episodes in recent time are attempting to cash in on the nostalgia of fan favorites like Bubble Buddy (But that episode came out over 5 years ago! Man how time flies...), Bubble Bass, and even DoodleBob. But this is the first episode I've ever seen in which a despised character makes a comeback, and it worked out perfectly. I mean it, this episode didn't have to exist, but Lawrence had a vision of a story, an actual story that featured Plankton's Grandmother as a character. A genuinely golden story, expressed through one of my new favorites of this Season.

Grandmum's the Word has a very simplistic plot. Plankton lies to his Grandmother that he owns the Krusty Krab, to grant her wish that he'd own it by her 90th birthday. Sounds like a standard sitcom plot. But that's about the closet this episode gets to being a predictable storyline. First off, I absolutely love the whole "wish" element in Grandma's birthday. It is perfect motivation for Plankton, a great way to set up the plot. I think it was a rather genius way to give Plankton's plan a proper purpose to exist in the first place through this motivation. Anyway, the episode completely diverts from a predictable route by completely avoiding the "Liar revealed" trope. Heck, that trope isn't even used in this episode! The plan goes perfectly! Instead, the episode captures how the plan turns out, showcasing various interactions Grandma has with not only Plankton, but the Krusty Crew. And of course, this showcases a good majority of the episode's humor, which there is a lot of, I won't deny that.

Sprinkled throughout the episode are a lot of great little gags. The spa scene was a really funny way to kick off the episode, and I absolutely adored the transformation of the Krusty Krab into the Krusty Plankton, I was surprised by how many funny little visual gags were thrown into the decorations sequence. Kind of funny how this short little bit captures more humor than the grand decoration sequence in Truth or Square (A TV Movie meant to indirectly celebrate the show's 10th anniversary, mind you). The grand amount of mini jokes sprinkled throughout the episode is wonderful, but the absolute highlight is when Grandma falls for Squidward. That my friends, is the funniest scene I've seen since I watched the hilarious There's a Sponge in My Soup. When she falls for Squidward, it's absolutely priceless, especially her love stricken hallucination of the cephalopod. I will admit, there are a few flops here and there (Especially the gags with SpongeBob and the sign, I personally found those cheap excuses for slapstick). But for the most part, this is episode is filled to the brim with excellent comedy.

As for the characters, I must discuss Grandma of course. Plankton's Grandma was already established as a "No Nonsense" chick, revealed in the end of Grandma's Secret Recipe. But, given her small role in that episode, I consider this to be fantastic development of her character. For the first quarter of the episode, I'd say she's established as kind of your regular ol' Grandma. However, this completely changes once she's in the Krusty Krab. She becomes a slight control freak, pointing out flaws with Plankton's "employees". Now during these moments, I was afraid this episode would go down the line of having an execution akin to that of a standard sitcom episode. Needless to say, I was afraid the Grandma would try to help Plankton, by volunteering to take charge of the restaurant, resulting in the "Liar revealed" trope. Thankfully, this completely changes when she lays eyes on Squidward. Again, it was a genius move for her to fall in love with Squidward. It definitely strengthens her personality, giving her a more comedic edge. However, the climax is definitely where her character shines the most. The plot twist in the episode came completely out of nowhere, I think it was the perfectly route for this episode to go into. Grandma's intentions all along to steal the formula and rule the world for her 90th birthday was certainly a fantastic way to wrap up the episode. And yes, there was a way for this concept to have been botched, and I mean botched, severely. She could've struggled to keep her secret, and fail to capture the formula, resulting a "Liar Revealed" trope, causing Plankton to attempt to flee the scene with the formula and his grandma, essentially failing, ending the episode on a bitter note. Thank goodness, this easily generic ending is completely avoided, as Grandma gets away with the formula in a truly exciting fashion, making her character all the more enjoyable to watch. And of course, being just an old lady, she doesn't exactly fail, but we're given a fairly sweet ending, where she's defeated in her sleep.

All in all, I think the rest of the characters are perfect in this episode. I really mean that, Plankton, Karen, Krabs, Squidward, they're all great! I don't find any real flaws within their personalities, or how they behave in this episode.

All in all, I consider this an Amazing Episode. Truly one of my all time favorites this Season, barely a single element is botched in this episode, even the sign gags which annoyed me played a creative part in Plankton's explaining of his plan. All aspects in this episode are handled perfectly, I give it a 10/10.

This is defitenly one of the better season 11 episodes. It has great humor (many great jokes), Plankton's grandma is a great character, the plankton krusty krab is cool, and the plot goes very well. Usually plots like this where someone lies to not show the truth goes predictabily, ut Plankton's Grandma never finds out, and instead tries to steal the formula, which was original. I'd give this a 9.5/10

• God Himself 1