• Advertisement

228a. Fun-Sized Friends

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Friends: Hey little guys, you're playing with each other! So cute!
    • 4/5 Friends: You're going to stay in the aquarium like a good little sleepy clam!
    • 3/5 Friends: Careful buddy, the grill is hot.
    • 2/5 Friends: Oh will you two cut it out!?
    • 1/5 Friends: Say good night, go to your separate houses, and be quiet!

eWqml0D.png

Premieres: 

Thursday, February 15th @ 6:00pm ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, February 17th @ 10:30am ET/PT

Saturday, February 17th @ 6:30pm ET/PT

Plot:

SpongeBob and Patrick exchange tiny living versions of themselves.

Clips:

N/A

Edited by jjsthekid

What does it say about Spongebob and Patrick's friendship that they manage to mistreat each other this badly when the free will of their "see forever" mini pets is compromised? Feels like the revenge torture (Squidward dodged some pepper and cringy hair yanking) should've caused some reflection of how selfish what they did was, but instead it's solved with some less morally challenging mini-house building. Kidnapping and burying Squidward was also a pretty standard ending. (Why do they want the house inbetween them? Purposefully dividing even when they have a choice).

Um.....the mini Gary was adorbs. On first watch I wanted to give it a 3/5 just because it avoided migraine territory, but I think a 2/5 is more accurate to the level of originality that went into the script. Blandest of 2018 and definitely benefits from premiering during an okay week instead of another November 2017 freak week.

I probably need to watch this episode again to really understand it (if I possibly CAN), but this episode seemed to be all over the place, and not in a GOOD way! o.o This felt like someone was TRYING to imitate a Ben Gruber written episode, and a very badly WRITTEN one at THAT!!!! :rolleyes: This could have been SUCH an interesting concept! And what do they do? They have Spongebob and Patrick mistreat their miniaturized friends HORRIBLY!!!! (Although to be fair, the Mini-Patrick seems to be pretty stupid, even by PATRICK'S standards!) But still, having the miniaturized versions of Spongebob and Patrick hog-tie their normal-sized counterparts seemed to be disproportionate retribution! If you have a problem, you should TALK about it RATIONALLY; not try to take over your normal-sized (or to them) giant-sized counterparts' lives! At least Spongebob was able to figure out what the problem was, and gave them houses that were JUST their size, and even a little GARY for little Spongebob! But why did they have to include the tiny versions of Spongebob and Patrick torturing Squidward for no good reason? If you're going to HURT Squidward in some way, you need to have some PROPER build-up to it FIRST; and Squidward should DESERVE it for something cruel and/or heartless that he did! I'd give this episode a 65/100 at best! Enough said!

• Like 1

Honestly thought this one was the weakest of the premiere week. It felt boring and bland to me. I didn't find anything funny or amusing in it either. It's a shame, because the concept of SpongeBob and Patrick controlling little people could've been interesting (see: All the Little People), but they wasted it. The Squidward ending was pretty dumb and made the minis look like major hypocrites. The torture of SpongeBob was downright creepy, but not the interesting kind of creepy. The only thing I actually liked was the purple background colors in the beginning, and that doesn't go very far grade wise. It's not the worst episode in the world or anything, there are certainly worse than this, but it didn't really hold my attention at all.

Grade: D+ (Almost gave it a C-, but honestly...I can't think of anything I actually liked in the episode outside of some pretty colors, which is sad. It's a shame, because it's not that bad, but if I can't even list a positive outside of an aesthetic...yeah.)

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 2

Unpopular opinion but I kind of find this one to be okay/decent. I loved the idea of this episode and yeah, it could have done better with the concept but I liked seeing how SpongeBob and Patrick mistreating their tiny versions and then the tiny version starting to attack them. Some gags did not work out for me but I had some chuckles like tiny Patrick hitting the spatula and close up of too cutesy tiny Patrick. It was satisfying to see tiny versions getting their revenge and later their own home. I wish they would develop SpongeBob and Patrick's friendship here better tho because it's shown they do mistreat each other sometimes just like how they did to their tiny version. But as much as how the concept wasn't executed well, I still got a fun time watching this episode at parts. Minus the ending, it was pretty bad.

Grade: B-

• Like 1

This episode was pretty good. I was sorta predicting that they were going for "can't always have your best friend around otherwise they'll start to get on your nerves" thing with them always having mini versions of each other, but I was surprised they went with SpongeBob and Patrick unintentionally annoying the mini versions. It was kinda funny to see Squidward's reaction to SpongeBob and Patrick reproducing their mini selves, but out of nowhere to see the mini Sponge and Pat kidnapping him just so they have a neighbor to annoy. Mini Gary was also adorable, who'd have thought the snails came in that size?

This episode is really boring and just meh. This episode isn't terrible at all or anything, but it's not good at all either, it's just boring. Not really much else to say about the episode. It's a 4/10 episode.

Edited by Winterypuff
Removing a trash review.

Originally written: April 18th, 2018

Well, now that March's premieres are through, and I actually have time to catch up on the latest episodes, I gotta say, this is certainly not a good way to start.

Fun-Sized Friends has a very peculiar premise. I'm not exactly sure how to describe my overall mixed feelings on this episode's plot. I don't really find it rather that creative, I guess the way the mini-clones of SpongeBob and Patrick are created is slightly creative, but for the most part, I'd consider this premise to be rather dull. Yes, it is quite an original plot, but it certainly isn't that interesting of one. The clones of SpongeBob and Patrick are essentially uninteresting. Yes, they play a key essential role within the progression of the storyline, but I just don't find their characters to be amusing. They certainly earn a level of sympathy through the "abuse" implemented onto them by SpongeBob and Patrick (Mostly the latter), but other than the fact that the story would be flawed, had SB&P fail to receive any comeuppance for their actions, I don't really have a reason to root for them. They're not that likable of characters, especially the mini Patrick who seems to be nothing more than just spoiled and greedy. Yes, mini Sponge does have a legitimate excuse for us to root for him, but they're just not that likable of characters. Their characteristics hardly even match those of SpongeBob and Patrick's. Goodness, they don't even remotely act like them until the very ending of the episode (Which obviously was only done to get a final laugh out of the audience).

Back to describing the episode's premise, I do think there is a hint of creativity, in the fact that this is a unique way for SpongeBob and Patrick to never have to separate again. The setup to the plot was clever, I will give it that. SpongeBob and Patrick fully express their passionate friendship, which truly gives them a reasonable reason to go through with this plan. I just think the concept of the mini Sponge and mini Pat was executed poorly. The episode generally takes a predictable turn, the two are tormented by their owners (I use tormented lightly, given mini Pat's situation), they have an uprising, revolt against their owners, and their owners in return grant them their own freedom. It's a typical storyline that's been done in the series before in such episodes as Jellyfish Jam and House Worming. The only difference being the setup to this format is completely different from those two episodes. Again, the concept of the mini clones is a fresh, new plotline, one that's new to the series. Is it that good of a plotline though? I'd say it's execution was a failure.

The humor in this episode is super dry. It's not a "crazy" episode (In which at least one character is constantly flipping out for the sake of comedy), but it certainly relies heavily on goofy slapstick humor. But is it clever slapstick humor? No, it's really boring and forgettable slapstick. A good majority of the gags are quite simplistic, most of which dealing with nothing more than the pain inflicted on one of the characters. I honestly didn't find myself laughing at this episode at all, it was a fairly humorless experience, mostly impart of the constant slew of generic slapstick.

As for the characters, I've already expressed my disinterest in mini Sponge and mini Pat. But how are SpongeBob and Patrick themselves? Well, SpongeBob is seemingly harmless. I found the presentation of his character to fit the standard characterization of the Sponge. But how is Patrick? This is a character that has been botched multiple times throughout Season 11 at the extent of a joke. Well, Patrick certainly does slip out of character every now and again throughout this episode. His unusually cruel treatment of mini Sponge does often come out of character. However, Patrick doesn't go out of bound too much throughout the episode, as he's generally pulled back into his usual characteristics. For instance, he's indirectly cruel to the mini Sponge, not intensely cruel, but more out of sheer stupidity. Compare that to Pet Sitter Pat, in which his cruelness came from a source of negligence and ignorance, giving Patrick an attitude that made him appear as not an idiot who doesn't know better, but rather a scumbag who choose to not do the right thing. Then of course, there is Squidward. Is he in character? I'd say so, he's not that funny, but I don't really see any flaws with his character. He does get a little too loud at the ending, but then again he's being "attacked" by two miniature versions of his dreaded neighbors.

In conclusion, I'd say Fun-Sized Friends is a 4/10, it's a Bad Episode. Structurally, there's really nothing wrong with this episode, and there aren't too many problems regarding character flaws, but it's just a dreadful episode to sit through, I certainly did not enjoy watching this episode, it's bare to the bone sense of humor, it's unlikable characters, a generally predictable layout, it's just not my taste.