• Advertisement

227b. Old Man Patrick

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Beards: Are you ready to get down!?
    • 4/5 Beards: You're still vital, full of life, and flesh!
    • 3/5 Beards: These days I only look forward to my final exit...
    • 2/5 Beards: Are you trying to kill me, son!?
    • 1/5 Beards: Stop yelling my name!

(No promo image available at this time)

Premieres: 

Wednesday, February 14th @ 6:00pm ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, February 17th @ 10:15am ET/PT

Saturday, February 17th @ 6:15pm ET/PT

Plot:

Patrick thinks he is an old man, so SpongeBob tries to remind him how much fun being a child can be.

Clips:

N/A

Edited by jjsthekid

This episode was just so...meh. Not the most interesting concept in the world, and I feel like Patrick suddenly thinking he was an old man; it just seems too STUPID, even by PATRICK'S standards! :rolleyes: I'm glad that Spongebob tried to help Patrick feel like his YOUNG self again, and even the restaurant with the animatronics (I believe it was called Bunny Buns) was kind of a shout-out to "Five Nights at Freddie's!" The gag with the fish named Marco was pretty weird though; and why did nobody come to save that old fish, Mortimer, from the swimming pool. Honestly, seeing Larry as a lifeguard was the best part of the episode for me, and more should have been done with him. I'd give this episode a 65/100 at BEST!!!! Enough said!

An alright episode, but perhaps it was too alright, as strange as that sounds. I think it played things a bit too safe for my liking. Most of the humor was pretty obvious elderly people jabs, and it wasn't exactly the most interesting premise in the world. That being said, the rest of it was handled pretty fine. Patrick was like-able, even if him randomly becoming old did feel a bit far-fetched, but I rolled with it. The singing of SpongeBob's own theme song was a nice surprise, never thought they'd go that meta in the show. The return of Bunny Buns from "Mid-Life Crustacean" was a nice touch as well. I thought the Marco subplot was amusing with a nice payoff in the end, which was probably the funniest part of the episode. Can't say it did anything really wrong, but it didn't do a whole lot to "wow" me either. Maybe if it added some more gags, or did something more interesting with the story, I would grade it higher.

Grade: C+

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 5

Kid flying away with water wings was kind of funny dark humor. The old people latching onto the bus with the cane and Larry sticking a geezer into a lost and found box were pretty messed up elderly gags. :P Marco has never heard of the Marco/Polo game somehow. Patrick suffering from amnesia made sense after eating his brain with ketchup? Ick. "I don't know. A wizard?". The theme song was welcome here, considering they never dabble into 4th wall breaks. It also made sense on the level of an old man being nostalgically triggered when hearing it. (smirk) "He was too young". "No I wasn't". The music at Bunny Buns sounded like the Benny Hill theme. Crinkly Wrinkly also uses the phrase "23 skidoo" in a KO airing on Feb 26th called Lad & Logic. Guess it's a popular slang stereotype. Not just one, but two gags of someone pranking Patrick into thinking their heart stopped was kind of tasteless? Grade: C

We're not at our final exit of the week with old people however. Seems like Plankton's Grandma will be a tough old bat.

I was not a fan of this for sure. I loved some of jokes like a kid fish flying to the sky, SpongeBob singing the theme song and the ending but the rest felt boring with typical old people jokes. Patrick was much better here than his appearence in Drive Happy but this prooved again that Patrick can't carry his own episode. Thankfully SpongeBob was in this episode with enough screentime but that doesn't make up for medicority. Nothing else to say much, a tame episode but not something I'm gonna remember.

Grade: C+

• Like 2

This episode was just kinda...okay. Nothing really about it stood out to me other than SpongeBob singing his own theme song. The rest of it I can't remember much of it other than the tiring Marco joke and cheap elderly gags.

This episode was okay. A lot of jokes weren't all that funny, the plot is just alright, and some things are just wasting my time. Like the part where Patricks brain falls out and he eats it, or the part where two old people eat pizza and lose their teeth. It's just nasty to look at and kinda predictable. The part with the white farm and the 'gotcha!' jokes were not particulary funny as they were strange. Some jokes were good, and if you wanna see a slow episode with not too much flashy humor, this could be a nice experience. It give it a 6 out of 10.

Edited by BeachBob95

Originally written: March 7th, 2018

Oh goodness, this episode is so boring.

How can you mess up an episode centering around the elderly, there are tons, countless amounts of opportunities for jokes at elders' expense? So I was afraid that this episode was going to be terrible, as the title card sounded terrible, and...it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I'll get this off my chest, it's definitely not a good episode, but it definitely restrains itself from being as atrocious as it could've been.

The plot is very original, which I guess is the highlight of the episode. But even then, the plot isn't even that entertaining, it mostly centers around different scenarios the elderly are placed into, in order to regain a childhood spirit. Heck, the way I described it sounds better than the way this episode was executed! The premise of the episode in which Patrick just ages...out of nowhere...

Okay, there is a clever way Patrick ages in this episode (He's been in the pool so long, he becomes extremely wrinkly), but...this episode...is so confusing with how this age thing works. Patrick is full of energy, and is only physically wrinkly up until he starts doing elderly things. The whole reason he joined the elderly group is because of icecream, he eats the icecream, gets a brain freeze. Does this ruin his memory, and makes him think he's an actual old man? No! He seems perfectly fine afterwards! When his brain catches on fire and he eats it ("Funny" visual humor), without a brain to supply him with memory, does he automatically assume he's an elderly man? No! He gets wrapped up in old people activities because plot says so, and doesn't recognize SpongeBob.

Okay, so it's a gradual progression into Patrick's brainwashing, I can respect tha-He recognizes SpongeBob a handful of seconds after not recognizing SpongeBob. So...how does that work? How is Patrick brainwashed, yet easily phased back into knowing who he is? And even then, if he was so full of life in one scene, why did he become all sluggish all of a sudden. I do have a pretty clear idea of what this episode is trying to get at, Patrick becomes so engaged in these activities, he essentially loses track of who he is. But the episode does a pretty sloppy effort at trying to make it clear to the casual audience member. Okay, so we know how Patrick ages, through being soaked in water for his physical aging, and through his gradual shift into the elder state-of-mind through participating in "fun" activities at the Shady Shoals. But how does SpongeBob turn into an elder out of nowhere!? He runs into a ball pit, and saves Patrick from drowning, okay...

But when he comes out, he turns into an old man! Is it a disease!? SpongeBob doesn't even do elderly things like Patrick does, he just out of nowhere becomes physically frail to benefit the plot! And instantly in the following scene, he has the power to revert back to normal. There was at least a creative way for Patrick to de-age, but SpongeBob, we don't even see any steam pour out of his pores when Patrick puts a blanket over him. It just doesn't make sense, how does SpongeBob age and de-age at will? It's only present to progress the plot, yet it's so forced in!

As for the comedy, this episode has humor as stale as the elderly fish that appear in this episode! Most of your jokes are run-of-the-mill, forgettable visual gags that're only appealing for maybe a second or two, but the absolute WORST part of the episode is the "Marco" running gag. It's so painfully corny, a literal joke that would only make those 3 and under laugh their brains out. I actually really enjoy the Marco character. I think his voice actor did an amazing job voicing him, putting lots of expression and emotion into his performance making him an entertaining and enjoyable character. But the joke he's attached to is just awful. There are a few really funny jokes in this episode, particularly the gruesome closeups of some of the elderly fish, and Patrick's "fun" activities as an old person that're demonstrated to SpongeBob were pretty amusing. Overall, this episode has some hit-or-miss.

As for the rest of the characters, well, they're not really that bad. Patrick and SpongeBob are alright, I guess. Patrick is fairly annoying at the beginning of this episode, but he really mellows out once he drags on as an elder. Really, they're tolerable when their actions aren't being damaged by this episode's plot holes.

Overall, it's a Bad Episode. I give it a 4/10

This episode is one of the weaker episodes of the seasons IMO. This episode is so bland and forgettable, and the only thing I really like about is is Spongebob mentioining the theme song, and I guess as usual for season 11, it has great animation. Also, the characterization isn't bad I guess. However, there's so little bad about it either. It's just boring. Not much to say on this episode other than it's boring and forgettable and bland, but doesn't heavily mess up in any way other than being boring, and has a nice theme song reference. I'll give it a 5/10.

The most calm and relaxing Season 11 episode, it's almost Season 6 quality with its underwater feel and Season 8 quality with its calmness and relaxing features.

Ok, ok, in all seriousness, this episode is just alright. There's really not much to comment on here; the concept is just drab, not much here is funny (barring a joke about water wings and a fakeout regarding this episode's running gag [will get to that in a moment]), the episode drags and overall it's just a bore to sit through. The majority of the episode seems to focus on either old people jokes (with nothing interesting thrown in to make it funny) or this odd running gag involving a one-off character named Marco who doesn't serve much of a purpose outside of setting up a gag that's basically being random for the sake of being random. There really is not much to comment on here; it's a really boring episode and, while I don't hate it as much as others do, I don't think it especially stands out either outside of memes.

FINAL RATING: 6/10 / C+ (OK episode)

This episode is perfect in almost every way imaginable and I am glad that hippythehippo expresses the same opinion about it. It is indeed not horrendous and not wacky. Though, some season 11 episodes can be decent as well.

13/13

Edited by Lumoshi
  • Happy 2
  • Confused 1