• Advertisement

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Jinjo

The next Star Wars anthology film, coming out May 25th.

If you aren't aware, this movie has had some behind the scenes drama. The original directors (Phil Lord & Chris Miller) were fired mid-production due to creative differences. Ron Howard had to cruise control whatever was left, along with reshooting the entire film. I just hope it turned out alright after all that.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 1

Late to the party in regards to posting my thoughts on this topic.  I could practically copy and paste what I wrote in the other new Star Wars topic and it would be more or less the same feeling.

Instead, I’ll just comment on this individual film.  My first impression is that the guy they casted as young Han Solo is uncharismatic as hell.  He looks like a young Harrison Ford yes, but he did not make me believe he was Han at all that entire trailer.  Everything else looked decent to me.  Every time Donald Glover showed up, I thought to myself, yes that is Lando.  Everyone else I don’t know much about their new characters and the new droid looks a lot like Alpha from Power Rangers.  But it’s a big problem that new Han has made me cringe this early on.

I'm still pissed about the Phil Lord / Chris Miller thing. I wouldn't say it's as bad as what happened with Edgar Wright, but at the same time the only reason I'd even watch it is basically non-existent.

Like, at this point I think it's kinda funny how Disney says that they want creative and visionary directors to work on their movies, only to immediately backpedal when they do the tiniest bit of experimentation with their cash cows.

I was looking up articles about the firing, and I found an unspecified source supposedly from Disney who provided a grade-A comedy explanation for why they were booted.

"People need to understand that Han Solo is not a comedic personality. He's sarcastic and selfish," 

That's, uh, totally not one of the most time-tested and approved comedic personalities, mango???

Edited by Burgerpants
  • Like 2

So yeah, this movie.  It’s honestly a tough one to really judge.

It wasn’t as bad as I was fearing.  To be honest, there was more good than I was expecting entering in.  This felt much more like a Star Wars movie than I thought we would get based entirely off the trailers.  Most of the cast was pretty good.  The action scenes were pretty solid.  All the Easter eggs were pretty awesome too.

Then you get what I feared entering in.  Alden Ehrenreich is no Harrison Ford.  He has some pretty massive shoes to fill and he doesn’t come anywhere close to trying to make the character his own.  He’s just too smiley and happy go lucky and just doesn’t feel like Han at all.

Also, the cinematography doesn’t work at all for me.  The scenes are just too saturated with dim lighting and earthy textures.  That’s not Star Wars like at all.  Like the rest of the movie’s tone is still a Star Wars movie and then you try this sort of cinematography choices and it’s just not good.

But I think this movie’s biggest problem is how disposable this all felt.  Even the Star Wars movies I am not a fan of served some sort of purpose.  Hell even Rogue One served a purpose and its sole existence was to fill a plothole from A New Hope.  Like this was the first time I’ve sat through a Star Wars movie thinking this has no reason to exist.  And I sure hope this isn’t a telling sign of what’s to come from future Star Wars stories because we all can read the signs that Star Wars oversatruation is going to be coming very soon.

If I could give this movie a grade, consider it a solid C.  Hey it could have been worse.

I disagree, I thought this movie was pretty solid! It had good lighting, good special effects, good story, good characterization, good actors to play good characters, good locations, everything about it was perfectly good! :D I'd give it a solid 10/10! :cool: Enough said! ;)

The final 20 minutes with

Spoiler

everyone betraying each other

reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean and I really dug that.  I liked the opening scene and that train scene too.  Unfortunately I started zoning out for the rest of it.  The cinematography was UGLY too.  Fantastic score though.

Edited by Leedles
  • Sad 1