• Advertisement

Tips for a Better & Healthier Computer

Guest hilaryfan80

Guest hilaryfan80

Here is a small guide for how to keep your laptop sparkling clean and fast! 2018 edition!

1. Change your user account from "administrator" to "standard." You have no idea how many malware or viruses you can avoid by doing this one easy and simple trick. What it does is it makes it to where you cannot install or uninstall anything onto your computer without having the administrator account's login - which means malware and viruses cannot do anything without having this information! Your personal account alone does not have the ability to destroy your computer, and neither will the viruses.

Spoiler

Here's how you do it on Windows 10:

Spoiler
  1. Open the "Settings" app.
  2. Click "Accounts."
  3. Click "Family & other people."
  4. Under "Other people," click "Add someone else to this PC."
  5. Create a new administrator account and name it after anything you want. My suggestion is your favorite SpongeBob character! Make sure the account's password is different from your password. Do not worry about the specifics of this account since you'll never actually be using it.
  6. Once the new administrator account is created, click "Change account type" under your personal account and change it to "Standard User."
  7. You're finished! Keep using the same account that you're using, but when you want to install or uninstall a program, type in your administrator account instead of your personal account.

Here's how you do it on macOS:

Spoiler
  1. Open the "System Preferences" app.
  2. Click "Users & Groups."
  3. Click the padlock on the bottom left corner and unlock the settings.
  4. Above the padlock, click the "+" button.
  5. Under "New Account," select "Administrator." You can name the account after anything you want. My suggestion is your favorite SpongeBob character! Make sure the account's password is different from your password. Do not worry about the specifics of this account since you'll never actually be using it.
  6. Once the new administrator account is created, click on your personal account on the list and uncheck "Allow user to administer this computer."
  7. You're finished! Keep using the same account that you're using, but when you want to install or uninstall a program, type in your administrator account instead of your personal account.

2. Install an antivirus - this should be a no brainer! I recommend Avast Antivirus if you do not have one already (it's totally free). Download links: Windows | Mac

3. Check your computer for malware once a month using a program like Malwarebytes (again totally free).

4. Limit programs that start when you turn on your computer. Who loves waiting 5 minutes for their computer to completely start up? Not me!

Spoiler

How to do this on Windows 10 is conveniently covered in this article.

macOS:

Spoiler
  1. Open the "System Preferences" app.
  2. Click on "Users and Groups."
  3. Make sure your account is selected and then click on the "Login Items" tab.
  4. Remove any program/app you do not need to start when you turn on your computer. For example, do you really need Skype to start when you start your computer? No. You can remove Skype from the list.

5. Use a program to delete the crap laying around your computer! I personally recommend CCleaner for both Windows and macOS (totally free).

6. If you have to use your laptop in public places, I highly recommend using a VPN to protect yourself. A lot of malware and viruses are implemented through public WiFi! The good news is that if you have Avast installed (hint hint check #2 on this list), you already have a VPN! Just open Avast and turn on "Avast SecureLine VPN." If you do not have Avast, I recommend getting a no-log VPN, perhaps the Hola extension or something else.

7. Above all else, make sure everything is updated. If Windows has been nagging you to update, do it. Check to see if your WiFi router has any updates. Take the initiative to update things! Updates are not around to annoy you; they're made for a reason.

Anyways, I hope this was a useful short guide. :plankton:

Guest hilaryfan80
6 minutes ago, Hayden said:

Stop hilaryfan80splaining to us (d)

:funny: I was just trying to be helpful. I won't do it again!

(3 minutes later...)