• Advertisement

Hollywood Sexual Misconduct Scandals

Clappy

20 hours ago, Wumbo said:

And just when I've had the hunch that the floodgates would open up for seemingly pleasant people in the entertainment industry, this happens.

...if the scandals are going all around to expose anyone in the entertainment industry, even some of the most influential, then I should expect it to happen to someone like John Lasseter, and I gotta say, it sucks. It didn't do as much damage to me towards Pixar in general because I appreciate the company's work based on a team of writers and animators rather than just the guy who helped make the company succeed like it still does today, but now I won't think of Lasseter the same way that I used to again. This is the kind of crap that makes me feel that I should work in the entertainment industry for the sole purpose that I'd provide some more evidence that not every man working there is a prick that doesn't know how to treat women working in the same industry kindly.

What’s even more telling is how companies are responding to their employees sexual harassment incidents: 

Charlie Rose—Fired by PBS/CBS
Chris Savino—Fired by Nick
Eddie Berganza—Fired by DC
Roy Price—Resigned from Amazon
Louis CK—FX cut ties
Kevin Spacey—Netflix cut ties
John Lasseter—Disney approves a six month leave of absence

I’m sorry but Disney needs to cut ties with Lasseter.  I understand how much he has meant to Disney’s animation renaissance and the rise of Pixar, but Disney is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, companies out there.  They should be held to as high of standards as they are with their family company roots.  What sort of message is this sending by not holding the same standards as all these other companies?They are sending the wrong message by not cutting ties with Lasseter after this news has been out now for nearly two days and the only announcement being that they approved Lasseter taking a leave of absence.  I know all of these men listed need serious help and are literal scum and if Disney wants to support Lasseter by sending him to some sort of counciling or rehab, so be it.  But they can do that without him being employed.  To me, it’s sending a mixed message to those who are victims of sexual harassment by this man.

• Like 5

Guest hilaryfan80
18 minutes ago, Young Nug said:

so uh, Aziz 

how you guys feel about that one 

Edit: inaccurate info! I was wrong. :funny:

Spoiler

I have been somewhat following it. From what I read, it sounds very typical of rape allegations. The fact that I used the word typical makes me cringe since there should not be a typical of anything for rape........

In his defense, however, there may have been an exaggeration to the story, but Aziz did admit to the whole thing. I'm not sure what to make of it, and as is with most cases like these, we do not know and will never know the full story. It would be unwise to make judgment on that.

Edited by hilaryfan80

2 minutes ago, Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:

I have been somewhat following it. From what I read, it sounds very typical of rape allegations. The fact that I used the word typical makes me cringe since there should not be a typical of anything for rape........

In his defense, however, there may have been an exaggeration to the story, but Aziz did admit to the whole thing. I'm not sure what to make of it, and as is with most cases like these, we do not know and will never know the full story. It would be unwise to make judgment on that. 1f610.png

you might need to read up on it a lil more because even the girl in question isn’t accusing him of rape 

Guest hilaryfan80
Just now, Young Nug said:

you might need to read up on it a lil more because even the girl in question isn’t accusing him of rape 

I did say somewhat. :funny: But yes, I'll read up on it. I've been following it somewhat via Twitter, and we all know how unbiased and reliable Twitter is.

I don't think Aziz raped that girl but it did sound like he was trying to pressure her into sex. Nobody should make someone to do something that they aren't comfortable with or ends up crossing their boundaries. And it does leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth that this is the same guy who is a self-proclaimed feminist ally and even had a plot point of a celebrity who turned out to be a gross creep who harassed women in the second season of Master of None.

I do believe the reporting of the story was irresponsible on Babe's part and has led people to interpret the events in ways that aren't exactly true. However, that doesn't mean what Aziz did was right. 

Edited to add: here's an interesting response to the Babe article that makes some points on some flaws with the original writer's account of Grace's story

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/1/17/16897440/aziz-ansari-allegations-babe-me-too

Edited by Midge Maisel
  • Like 2

So after the debunkings of Nev Schulman and Chris Hardwick, who let's be honest were low level punks at best....

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/08/06/les-moonves-and-cbs-face-allegations-of-sexual-misconduct

WE GET A BIG FISH TO FRY, and with what I've heard about him over years I'd say he's likely to be convicted if his enormous power doesn't get in the way