• Advertisement

Hollywood Sexual Misconduct Scandals

Clappy

Ever since the Harvey Weinstein story dropped about a month or so ago, the floodgates have opened about many celebrities using their star power to get away with inappropriate behavior towards others like:

-Kevin Spacey

-Louis CK

-Charlie Sheen

-Brett Ratner

-Jeremy Piven

-Steven Seagal

-Oliver Stone

And many more that I know I’m forgetting but this list could be like ten times longer if I kept namedropping.  Hell, don’t even get me started on the many rumored names that haven’t been exposed yet like X-Men director Bryan Singer and Nickelodeon’s favorite producer Dan Schneider.

I’m seriously not surprised by the amount of people who are being exposed.  The only one to legitimately surprise me was Louis CK, but even then, I have a female friend who is getting into the standup comedy business saying that there were rumors about how Louis CK likes to masturbate in front of female comedians.  I just can’t believe it’s taken the fall of one of the biggest executives in Hollywood for all of these names to come out to show that not all celebrities are good people.  I saw this one tweet saying “If 2016 was the year of your favorite celebrities dying, then 2017 is the year of our favorite celebrities being dead to us.”  That’s an accurate tweet.

Thoughts?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I know people are going to say "why didn't these people speak up sooner?" But it's not that easy. There's the general trauma of being sexually assaulted, fear of not being believed or accused of lying, not to mention the fact that your career could be in jeopardy. I read something that Matt Damon worked to squash a story a journalist was writing about Harvey Weinstein a while back.

The system has to change. Women and men are being taken advantage of by powerful men in the industry and that's not right. Even if it's just a lewd comment and they don't actually force themselves on someone, it's still not right. I hope all these celebrities getting exposed inspires there to be something done. But it hurts that people who made some of our favorite movies and TV shows are really slimy, awful people.

• Like 6

There's also Chris Savino, creator of The Loud House and Andrew Kreisberg, producer of Arrowverse with the latter having 19 witnesses.

Yep this is the year of your favorite people in Hollywood ruining your love and respect. Tbf I find it strange that there have been so many accusations back to back, so It's hard for me to believe in all of accusations but to those who actually sexually assaulted, I hope they get a big punishment from all of this. And I hope for those who witnessed it or got sexually assaulted get their recovery.

• Like 1

my favorite video title ever

rip loud house/clarence creators’ careers

On a more serious note Kevin Spacey is such a piece of scum. Who the hell uses coming out of the closet to justify or draw away attention from his pedophila holy shit. While anyone’s assault is horrible, pedophila in particular makes me so pissed. I wish the best for the underraged victims of Spacey or anyone else.

• Like 5

Still believe the Dan Schneider crap to just be people judging him based off physical appearance, the exposure would have happened by now with at least one actress. Happy to be proven wrong since I'm not going to say it's impossible for one of Nick's most powerful employees to have abused it in 20 years, but it feels like an internet lie that got out of control?

Louis CK is as creepy and pathetic as his character was on the show. There were a lot of uncomfortable jokes on that which I should've taken as warning signs. I was always confused by its popularity but stuck with it to try and see what I wasn't catching.

Literally why I almost never get invested in an actor/actress. All I care about is the character arc, the person underneath that character is just doing a job. I can maybe end up being drawn to their physical features, but I'm not going to feel a betrayal like I would from an individual I actually have to count on. There are too many entertainers out there to give a shit how many get their karma. The industry will still be able to make my shows and movies. Hopefully this huge string of firings will remind other assholes how goddamn replaceable they are in such a competitive field.

22 minutes ago, Homie❤ said:

2017 the year of men facing consequences 

Forget Hollywood, my father is the best example of this

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hayden said:

Still believe the Dan Schneider crap to just be people judging him based off physical appearance, the exposure would have happened by now with at least one actress. Happy to be proven wrong since I'm not going to say it's impossible for one of Nick's most powerful employees to have abused it in 20 years, but it feels like an internet lie that got out of control?

Louis CK is as creepy and pathetic as his character was on the show. There were a lot of uncomfortable jokes on that which I should've taken as warning signs. I was always confused by its popularity but stuck with it to try and see what I wasn't catching.

Literally why I almost never get invested in an actor/actress. All I care about is the character arc, the person underneath that character is just doing a job. I can maybe end up being drawn to their physical features, but I'm not going to feel a betrayal like I would from an individual I actually have to count on. There are too many entertainers out there to give a shit how many get their karma. The industry will still be able to make my shows and movies. Hopefully this huge string of firings will remind other assholes how goddamn replaceable they are in such a competitive field.

First of all, I'm so sorry for what your father put through your family. You deserve better than this.

I pretty much agree with you said. I personally do get attachment to some of actors/actresses/crew members and I don't think there's anything wrong with that but the important thing is that nobody is what they seem. They could either turn out to be wonderful and innocent people or just monsters. So don't let your feelings towards people to cloud your judgement, saying this to everyone.

However if you are the main star of your own show (unless it's animated?), your show isn't exactly safe. House of Cards being the biggest example (tho I think they're making a spin off but I doubt it'd be successful without Kevin Spacey).

1 hour ago, Kiyozu♡ said:

my favorite video title ever

idubbbz must've really let himself go.

1 hour ago, Hayden said:

I find it funny how you're using the one, recent Buckley video to set an example of where you're trying to get at, considering how four years back he blasted Cory Monteith for being a junkie, calling his death "selfish," and calling out people for defending him as he felt he was a douchebag just because he was a drug addict. I would have to bring this up because Monteith hasn't done anything nefarious compared to the string of celebrities that are all now getting exposed for sexual misconduct. He has a point about how any celebrity will abuse one's power and that no one should be shocked when a celebrity is revealed to abuse one's power, but I still have my limits when it comes to the guy's content.

Also, add my own dad to the equation of best examples of 2017 being the year of men facing consequences.

On topic of the scandal itself, I'm not really surprised since I have learned not to condone to celebrity worship long before people starting crying out that "the ugly truth of Hollywood has been revealed!!!" I like how all the floodgates are opening up about male celebrities abusing their power and that they're getting comeuppance for their actions. Although, it's scary to think that there are other celebrities that may appear pleasant but, right beneath the surface, have been involved with troubles such as sexual misconduct.

12 hours ago, Katniss said:

But it hurts that people who made some of our favorite movies and TV shows are really slimy, awful people.

"O.J. Simpson may have killed people, but that does not make The Naked Gun any less funny."

Yeah, it does suck, you're totally right. However, growing accustomed to separating the content from the creator is mandatory unless you want to have a difficult time enjoying browsing through entertainment. One good thing about entertainment is that it does not change as people and their opinions about it do. It's just something meant to be enjoyed for what it is.

9 minutes ago, Metal Snake said:

"O.J. Simpson may have killed people, but that does not make The Naked Gun any less funny."

Yeah, it does suck, you're totally right. However, growing accustomed to separating the content from the creator is mandatory unless you want to have a difficult time enjoying browsing through entertainment. One good thing about entertainment is that it does not change as people and their opinions about it do. It's just something meant to be enjoyed for what it is.

I'm aware of "separating the art from the artist". I like Manchester by the Sea even though Casey Affleck was accused of sexual assault and I enjoy Midnight in Paris even though Woody Allen is a creep. But sometimes it's hard to do that. And I don't blame people who don't want to do that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Katniss said:

And I don't blame people who don't want to do that.

Unless the celebrity has done more to seem like a good person besides having a charming personality for the media like let's say they're notable for charity work, nothing should be a surprise and idolizing them can be hazardous. It's fine if you want to idolize them for the work they've done and their effort and talent in whatever they did, but there are far too many cases of people being scumbags or just generally unpleasant to deal with for people to just cling on.

I'm not really seeing any of that with these allegations, if anything the overwhelming majority seems ready to believe anything on anyone at this rate which could eventually become its' own problem. Unfortunately part of humanity is being overly emotional even when all logic and reasoning says otherwise, but that's something which simply needs to be overcome in life. If you blindly like someone you don't personally know that much who knows what trouble could even come from being betrayed by someone who you feel has genuinely earned your trust. It's simply something which shouldn't be tossed around so easily.

3 hours ago, Katniss said:

Assuming the victims are lying is also a problematic viewpoint to have. (Before you say anything, I'm not accusing you of doing this) Fact of the matter is a lot of people are scummy, they just have good PR to try and cover it up. Yes people have made false allegations but those instances are VERY rare.

I don't mean it in terms of lying either, many cases could be dropped simply due to a lack of proof rather than anything concrete in either direction, especially when it comes to PR. I just don't want this to become a giant bandwagon where someone's career is legitimately ruined because one person decides to try and exploit this. While that possibility is rare in of itself, the matter with the law is that everything should be taken seriously and anything physically possible should be considered, even if it only happened once before in some obscure case. It's less assuming the victims are lying and more keeping with the logical viewpoint of not pointing fingers until the evidence paints a clear picture. 

Guest hilaryfan80

Yes people have made false allegations but those instances are VERY rare.

You've got to be careful with this statement, though. A good example is that some of the allegations made against Bill Cosby were actually false.

As much as I want to say that we should immediately believe the victim, everyone is innocent until proven guilty. I'm not talking about you or anyone on SBC specifically, but I am really tired of seeing feminists going around saying that the police and courts should immediately take the victim's side. If that's the case, Jennifer Aniston raped me, believe me guys! Give me lots of money! And people would do it. Ohhhhhh people would definitely do it for the money. Hell, there's even a Wikipedia page about false allegations of child sexual abuse. Isn't that just sad?

I mean, just check out this article of what's happening in Congress. Over 30 senators said "if the allegations are true," and the media is pretty much exploding over the "if true" part. Well yeah, why disqualify someone if it's not true? Innocent until proven guilty is a thing, feminists. Let's not ruin lives before checking the receipts. ?

Okay, back on topic though: Hollywood should really take a step back. It's quite obvious over the many, many years that the people there are so corrupt that sexual assault has been prevalent. If anything, our generation will be the first to take a stand and say that it's never ok to assault anyone and, yes I'm saying this, if it is true, punish them with due course. It's sad that we're just now finding out that there is a significant group of people who have been doing this, but is it really that surprising? I say no, it's not.

7 hours ago, Katniss said:

I suck at making arguments don't listen to me

hey, don't be harsh on yourself. :/

We all make bad arguments, it's part of human nature. We can't be right all the time. It's all good Kat. <3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. WhoBruh said:

hey, don't be harsh on yourself. :/

We all make bad arguments, it's part of human nature. We can't be right all the time. It's all good Kat. <3

I just feel like an idiot. Some people here are so smart and I'm not really that smart at all. I don't know why I keep giving my opinion.

• Like 1