• Advertisement

Arm of Justice: The Deadly Trials

Supergameman

After some time, I've decided to take up the reigns once more and attempt to start up another thread to test the waters! This piece of literature is called Arm of Justice, where you'll take up the reigns of Phoenix Wright. However, this game is much more complicated, so allow me to get right into the details!

How to Play:

In this game, you take control of Phoenix Wright, making choices when you need to, presenting either a choice, your own statement, a piece of evidence or even a profile in order to advance. Your goal is to find contradictions and most importantly, find the truth (and get paid)! While you do this, you'll have to prove your defendant not guilty at every step of the way, fighting against prosecutors weak and strong in order to win the trial. "Gameplay" will usually take the form of text, where you'll have the chance to choose an option at a crossroads, which will usually be shown to you as "What evidence do I need to present to show that he was there?" or "[Option A] [Option B] [Option C]." where you can simply pick one of the options. In some scenarios, you can even make up your own answer to keep the trial going and feel free to go into detail about your actions, it'll help deepen the role play. As a heads up, if multiple people post an answer before I make it back, I'll either pick the most picked answer or the correct answer and I'll try to update this RP 3 times a day. Keep in mind that you're limited to 1 post per choice, so you can't post again until you're given another choice. Of course, feel free to give your own Out of Character opinion on what's going on, I appreciate any discussion!

Penalties:

Keep in mind that if you answer incorrectly or can't explain your reasoning, you'll take a penalty! You'll be given a few chances to explain yourself if you're crafting a theory, but if you're given a list of 3 options and pick the wrong one, you're sure to take a penalty. Your health bar starts at 100% and drops in increments of 10%, sometimes more, as you take damage and when you hit 0%, it's Game Over! When you hit this point, you'll be given an option to go back to a checkpoint and try again, but this'll hurt your chances at a better ending and being proud of yourself!

Cross-Examinations:

Before a Cross-Examination, you'll likely listen to a "Witness Testimony", where the witness will testify on the stand. After that, you're allowed to press on Statements and present Evidence to contradict something. You should also keep in mind that starting on Case 2 and on wards, you may have to press statements in order to find new information. If you want to ask a specific question on a specific statement, simply post "Statement 2: Where were you at at the time?" as an example. Who knows, maybe you'll find an secret contradiction! If you want to simply press the statement and let Phoenix do the work, just post "Press Statement 2." When you find a contradiction, make a post showing the evidence you're presenting, where you're presenting it and what your explanation is.

With this in mind, let's begin the first trial...

COURT RECORD (VIEW HERE FOR EVIDENCE/PROFILES): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GQaGGxzxAmpvyJedc5HPgBjJ_3ciK8G8Q-1SKukoGwc/edit?usp=sharing

Ned Dillard's Bathroom: November 15th, 2017

???: Heh heh heh. Finally, the opportunity presents itself.

???: After the days of planning that I've conducted, I'm quite sure...

???: No, I'm absolutely sure! This is my chance to strike.

???: Goodbye, boss. It was fun working for you.

Defendant Lobby #1: November 17th, 2017

Phoenix: (After all of this investigating, it's finally time.)

Phoenix: (After searching through the victim's bathroom and finding all of this evidence...)

Phoenix: (I think I've got everything I need-)

Dave: AAAAAAAAGH!!!!!! They've got me cornered, cornered, I tell you!

Dave: The evidence, the proof, the location I was arrested in...

Dave: Just GIVE ME UP ALREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADY! Throw me in prison, throw the key away! THROW ME!

Phoenix: J-jeez! Dave, just stay calm. Did you at least try those calming tactics I told you about?

Dave: I couldn't when I'm...BEING ACCUSED OF MURDER!

Phoenix: Well, don't worry. I've done a lot of investigating over the past few days.

Phoenix: And I believe I know what to do in court. If you're not the killer, someone must be, right?

Dave: Y-yeah...maybe you have a point.

Phoenix: (And speaking of which, this man is called Dave Simmons. He's an real estate agent.)

Phoenix: (That is, until I managed to prove that he worked for the local mob boss in the past...)

Phoenix: (But he's been forced to do it against his will, so I believe that he's a good person at heart.)

Phoenix: (As for the victim, he was a mere Mortgage Broker, who was threatened by the local mob boss before.)

Phoenix: (Plus, the CCTV Footage was able to catch a few seconds of the killer. Sadly, they didn't get his face.)

Phoenix: (And that bodyguard we met at the mob boss' club was nice enough to give me a few leads.)

Phoenix: (I shouldn't let these facts slip my mind, no matter what! Speaking of which...)

Phoenix: (The Detective who was in charge of the investigation alongside me will be testifying today.)

Dave: PHOENIX! Why aren't you talking? Don't get me worried over your sanity at a time like this!

Phoenix: Speaking of which, I think court's about to begin, Dave. Why don't you wait for a bit while I take care of this?

Dave: A-alright. Good luck, Phoenix, you can do it!

Phoenix: (I'm sure I can. This case won't be too hard. After all, Winston Payne's the prosecutor! How hard could it be?)

Courtroom #1: November 17th 2017: 9:00 AM

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

Hall: Court is now in session for the trial of Dave Simmons in the murder of Ned Dillard! Is the Defense ready?

Phoenix: The Defense is ready, Your Honor.

Hall: As expected, Defense. Is the Prosecution ready?

Payne: The Prosecution is ready, Your Honor. Although, I don't think there'll be any further chatting after I show my proof to the Court.

Phoenix: (That's Payne for you, flicking his hair and being pompous as usual. Until I destroy his case.)

Hall: Would the Prosecution care to give their opening statement to the case?

Payne: Most assuredly, your Honor. Let me discuss the case in detail, from the top.

Payne: The police were quick in discovering Dave Simmons at the scene of the crime, right outside of the victim's home.

Payne: He was quickly apprehended as we searched the home for potential clues.

Payne: We were able to find a "golden tooth", a "dented gasoline can" and some of his clothing, although I doubt it's relevant.

Payne: The real important bits? Well, guess what! We found gasoline inside of the bathtub and a saw, used to cut off his hand!

Payne: This is why the prosecution will push for a full first degree murder charge, as to be expected.

Payne: His motive to kill? Simple! Not only did he dislike the victim for taking his business, he also killed him to buy all of the precious houses he owned!

Payne: He is quite a rich man after all, but it's a shame money will be worthless in the prison he'll be thrown into!

Payne: The most damning proof? This "witness", who'll be testifying against the man himself! He actually worked for the victim.

Payne: Never have I seen a more simple case, Phoenix Wright. Why don't you just give up?

Phoenix: (Urgh...I'd like to wipe that cocky look off of his face! Should I speak up?)

Here's your First Option. There's no penalty for picking an option this time, so feel free to pick to your heart's desire! And if you want to add anything specific to your answer, just tack it on!

(Don't Speak Up) (Passively Accept his Statement) (Challenge Payne's Opening Statement)

Edited by Supergameman
  • Like 1

(CHOICE OVERRIDE: This will only happen once! Please send a reply to this message to further the story.)

(Passively Accept his Statement)

Phoenix: The Defense accepts the Prosecution's Opening Statement.

Phoenix: However, you should not forget that until the Detective is called and the Witness is questioned...

Phoenix: That this will not count as decisive evidence whatsoever!

Phoenix: (Luckily, I have a few trump cards of my own, that Payne forgot to check. I'm sure they'll help me out in the future.)

Payne: Duly noted, although I don't think that'll be necessary for him to repeat in a hour's time.

Payne: Now, if the Defense has nothing more to say, I believe it's time for me to call the Detective to the stand.

Payne: For the sake of repeating it to the court, the Prosecution would like to call Detective David Jones to the stand.

Phoenix: (And here comes my chance to question the Detective for further information. No stone will be left unturned.)

Courtroom #1: November 17th 2017: 9:10 AM: David Jones is called to the stand.

Payne: Will the Detective state his name and occupation to the court?

Detective Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHV9UymO5Hk

David: The name's Detective Jones, partner! Homicide Detective reporting from the JPD.

Payne: Ah, yes. Detective Jones. I've been expecting you. Now, I believe you were the first on the scene, correct?

Payne: And you were the brave Detective who apprehended the suspect, Dave Simmons, when he was caught fleeing?

David: That would be correct! I then took him to the Police Department for further questioning, as you may have known.

Phoenix: (David Jones did assist me in the investigation, but if he gives biased testimony, he'll be penalized.)

Phoenix: (I need to find a flaw in his testimony that will change the tide of the trial up!)

Payne: As expected. You may begin your testimony at any time, Detective Jones.

--Detective's Findings--

Statement 1: We rushed to the scene of the crime when we get a call from our anonymous witness.

Statement 2: When we did, we found the victim's body, chopped up, drowned and doused in gasoline!

Statement 3: Right by the body, there was some flammable liquid, a tie clip, a pile of clothing and a bloody saw.

Statement 4: The flammable liquid was purchased from a convenience store, owned by Joe Black.

Statement 5: In order to enact the murder, the murderer broke the window, killed the victim, then escaped!

Hall: Has the Detective finished recanting the events of the crime?

David: Yes...that's all. I think this should tell the gallery exactly what happened at the scene of the crime.

Phoenix: (Hmm...that seems to just about it for David Jones' testimony...)

Phoenix: (But...I can't help but feel that there's something off about it, a fact that contradicts the evidence!)

Payne: Defense? I believe this is the time for your Cross-Examination, that is, if it brings up anything new.

Phoenix: Aha, and I'll get to that in just a moment, Payne. (This is my chance to ask some questions!)

Phoenix: (If I just read that "guide" from my law book, I'm sure I'll know how to cross-examine the Detective in a snap.)

Phoenix: (And if I need clarification on anything, it might be worth asking him a question.)

Phoenix: The Defense is ready to begin their Cross-Examination of Detective David Jones.

Hall: Then so be it. You may begin your Cross-Examination at once, Defense!

--Detective's Findings--

Statement 1: We rushed to the [scene of the crime] when we get a call from our [anonymous witness].

Statement 2: When we did, we found the [victim's body], chopped up, drowned and [doused in gasoline]!

Statement 3: Right by the body, there was some [flammable liquid], a [tie clip], a [pile of clothing] and a [bloody saw].

Statement 4: The flammable liquid was purchased from a [convenience store], owned by [Joe Black].

Statement 5: In order to enact the murder, the murderer [broke the window], killed the victim, then escaped!

(Now's your chance to Cross-Examine the Detective by pressing statements! Ask around and try to find the mistake in his testimony and present some evidence if you can find it! I'm even offering up a one-time bounty of 500 Doubloons to see if someone can spot it to build up some attention. If you're stuck, try consulting yourself through a post as Phoenix might be able to offer up a clue.)

Edited by Supergameman

Well, since you really want someone to help continue this right now, I might as well keep the ball rolling for you at this point.

So, um, I'm gonna ask about the flammable liquid at the scene of the crime as well as the plausible connection towards the perpetrator and Joe Black/the convenience store if it would add something about his actions before committing the crime scene.

• Thanks 1

Right by the body, there was some [flammable liquid], a [tie clip], a [pile of clothing] and a [bloody saw].

HOLD IT!

Phoenix: I'd like to ask you about a few things relating to the murder, if that's fine with you.

David: Of course, that's my job after all. Well, what do you need to ask me?

Phoenix: Well, just so the court can hear it, can you go into detail about the flammable liquid that was discovered at the scene of the crime?

David: Yeah, we were able to find a large portion of it in the victim's bathtub, with the canister being right outside of the tub itself.

Phoenix: Did you check for any prints on the canister itself? And how were you even able to find out who owned it?

David: Well, let think here...we only found glove prints on the canister of gasoline, so the killer must have worn gloves.

David: And as for finding out who owned it, you were with me at the time. We just had to check the serial number on the back.

David: After we did that, it was pretty easy to trace it back to the convenience store it was bought from.

Hall: This information shall be updated in the Court Record, Detective. I don't expect to warn you again about this.

[Flammable Liquid has been updated in the Court Record.]

The flammable liquid was purchased from a [convenience store], owned by [Joe Black].

HOLD IT!

Phoenix: I'm not done with my questioning yet. Speaking of the flammable liquid, I'd like to know a bit more about Joe Black.

Phoenix: So, what can you tell me about him? Did he happen to witness the incident?

David: Nope, as far as I'm aware. He did sell the items to the perpetrator after all, according to the footage.

David: He's also not going to be testifying at the trial today-

Hall: David Jones! That's witness confidentiality, and you have no right to disrespect it!

David: Aah, alright, alright! Well, it's someone who's going to be testifying. I can't talk about them!

Phoenix: Do you know if there's any plausible connection between the killer and Joe Black?

David: Well, not from what I know. We looked through the sales records and all we know is that he bought a few items.

Phoenix: And what about the sales logs? Have you found who bought the goods?

David: That's also a negative. Despite the sloppy killing, we don't have much. Which leads me to believe...

In order to enact the murder, the murderer [broke the window], killed the victim, then escaped!

Phoenix: (Aah! I see it now! There's something wrong with this statement in particular, something I need to present evidence on.)

Phoenix: (The killer obviously broke the window...but there's something wrong with Jones' timeline.)

Phoenix: (I should look through the Court Record and look for the evidence that contradicts this statement.)

Court Record: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GQaGGxzxAmpvyJedc5HPgBjJ_3ciK8G8Q-1SKukoGwc/edit?usp=sharing

It's all on you now! Keep pressing if you need to get more information, but do your best to find the contradiction in the statement that Jones has just given the Court. Check the Court Record, you'll definitely need it for every part of this trial and other than your words, it's your main weapon!