• Advertisement

224a. Squid Noir

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Clarinets: It's a play date!
    • 4/5 Clarinets: You're so...hard boiled.
    • 3/5 Clarinets: I don't have friends. I have suspects.
    • 2/5 Clarinets: Can't practice anywhere in this town...tasteless clowns!
    • 1/5 Clarinets: What is that noise!?

xl1Flay.png

Premieres: 

Friday, November 10th @ 7:00pm ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, November 11th @ 10:30am ET/PT

Plot:

When Squidward's clarinet disappears, he has to become a hard-boiled detective to track it down.

Clips:

N/A

This episode will entirely be in black and white, except for the ending.

Edited by jjsthekid

Not amazing, but pretty good. Other than the opening going on a bit too long and the seizure-inducing flashing colors at the end (and even then I'll just hope those aren't in the reruns, but either way they didn't affect the actual episode's quality), it did what it wanted to accomplish just fine, and made for a nice change of pace. The black and white setting was used nicely to fit the episode's theme. Squidward's monologues were also very amusing. Him and SpongeBob made for an entertaining detective duo who bounced off of each other nicely. Bubble Bass was also used in a nice role here, didn't expect him to be a nerd now. The Mermaid Man action figure versus his action figure was a well done sequence. Glad to see Squidward got a happy ending, even if he still has ways to go with his clarinet skill. There were other pretty good gags throughout, like Squidward slapping SpongeBob and Dame Krabs. The week started off mediocre, but ended very well with these last two.

Grade: A-

I wouldn't even mind a sequel to this tbh

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 4

This was the episode I was looking forward to the most and it did not disappoint. I really liked the detective theme and Squidward's tough guy narration was really amusing along with SpongeBob trying to be a bad cop against Dame Mr. Krabs. I also liked Bubble Bass's role as a D&D nerd and his action figure fight with SpongeBob. I also spotted a Flatts cameo (I at first thought he was the culprit). Though the ending with all the flashing colors I thought was very distracting and hope it doesn't appear on reruns, but I thought the ending itself was very sweet with Squidward getting a happy ending.

It took "Spongebob Squarepants" ten seasons LONGER than it should have, but Bubble Bass FINALLY has a characteristic that doesn't involve being a sort of minor antagonist to Spongebob, or just generally complaining about things! :hysterical: In a way, I kind of thought that the role Bubble Bass played in this episode, was to kind of turn Bubble Bass into "Spongebob Squarepant's" version of Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons;" although that's not necessarily a BAD thing by any means! :rolleyes: The interesting parts about this episode, was that when the episode became black and white, there were STILL little bits of color! o.o Most notably, the kiss marks on Spongebob, and the perfume that Spongebob sprayed! :D Also, who VOICED the Mermaid Man Action Figure in this episode?! He was pretty good; is this Nickelodeon's attempt to REVIVE Mermaid Man as an ACTIVE character with a different voice actor?! We'll have to wait and see! :cool: Definitely didn't see the twist ending

with the Jellyfish being the ones who took Squidward's clarinet.

And it was REALLY nice to see that at the very least, the Jellyfish liked Squidward's clarinet playing! And I thought the part where Spongebob interrupted Squidward's narration with his own, and admitted that he didn't know HOW to play a Bad Cop, despite asking to be one; those moments were totally priceless! Overall, I'd give this episode a solid 10/10! Enough said! ;)

I couldn't manage to watch Scavengerpants and I'll talk about it when I see it but I managed to see this and it's another great episode for this season. My only complaint about this episode is how the beginning played out like a typical over the top zany episode of this show but once it got to detective premise, I started to find so much good humor in this, even a few dialogue driven comedy like SpongeBob saying suspects are friends who aren't charged yet or the deadbeat dad toy Bubble Bass had and him loving the toy for being a good dad. SpongeBob and Squidward detective dynamic was neat to see, especially in the scene with them being ridiculously good cops to Mr. Krabs (the scene reminded me of Krab Borg but both were different situations, so it's all good). Mermaid Man toy fighting deadbeat dad was pretty unexpected and tons of fun and the punchline of the sequence made me laugh. I sadly knew who stole Squidward's clarinet from the leaked video but it didn't bother me that much and the reveal was kind of unpredictable if you never saw the leaked video. I'm glad Squidward got a happy end and the characters supported him, even though they had to plug their ears. Such a funny episode for this season. I gotta say, despite some of bland episodes, the humor of season 11 has been much funnier than season 10. Keep it up that way, season 11.

Grade: A-

I guess the Jellyfish that swam by the KK at the start were our clue, subtler than the three fake suspects set-up. Other than that, the beginning part was very standard anti-Clarinet shenanigans. But given Squidward ends up as an act at the Jellyfish Bar, it seems this was necessary to make us empathize with Squidward's woe so he can succeed later.

Squidward as a stern detective was a role he was drawn for. He got to smack Spongebob around (and yay Patrick did too by end) and provide one-liners like these:

"Only a family member could stomach putting their lips on this fool". (Grandma's Kisses reference reminds me they could bring his Grandma back easily).

"I don't have friends, I have suspects". (Spongebob's friend you haven't cleared of charges response was better than his repetitive coin disappearance gag).

"Mage of all things moronic, Bubble Bass". (Lame taste in figurines, but perfectly in-character selection for Bubble Bass hobby). 

Krabs getting the dame makeover was a classic bit of his employees giving him a much deserved go-around. I missed that kind of team dynamic from SB/Squid. 

Unlike multiple others, I didn't mind the rapid color change scene. It kind of gave Squidward restoring it back from black and white an extra pop.

Grade: Give Us a Squid Noir Squeal!

• Like 2
  • Happy 1

Guest hilaryfan80

I just watched this episode. I really liked it! I love the whole mystery concept. lol short post

btw 30,000th post in SpongeBob Discussion!

This is the best Season 11 episode imo. For one, the atmosphere is absolutetly amazing here. It really feels lime an old detective show with the black and white, the narration/Squidward's more normal voice, and so on, and it's great. I don't even watch those movies and still really enjoyed it here. The episode was charactertized perfectly, no characters were poorly charactertized, Squidward isn't zany and feels like how he always is, Spongebob and everyone else are characterized perfectly too. The episode is really funny too, with stuff like Spongebob's coins disappearing, Spongebob interrupting Squidward's narration, and most of all, everything in the Bubble Bass/action figure fight scene. The episode alwso has a good plot too, it being jellyfish that stole it is fairly unexpected but also realistic.

10/10

Wow, disappointed. None from Michigan was seen. Bubble bass was just a side character the this episode. They lied. They also had horrible choices for the colors. It wasn't funny. SCUMBOB episode. Don't do this again Nick. 3/10.

• Like 4

Originally written: November 11th, 2017

Ah, we've been all waiting for this one. And I must say, this was definitely a good one.

Squid Noir is your average mystery episode, paying homage to classic detective movies of the 1930s-1950s. It's a pretty simply plot line, but let me tell you, it's very entertaining. The concept of this episode is as simple as one you could get. Squidward's clarinet has been stolen, and it's up to Squidward to find out who stole it. However, it's mood of the episode that really gets you going. Roger Bumpass did a fantastic job doing the Squidward narrations. I never thought it was possibly, hearing Squidward be much more serious than he already is, but this episode managed to avoid all of his infamous "freak-out" traits. I also must say, I absolutely adored the black and white. It definitely gave the episode an entirely different vibe to it, and the explanation as to why it's black and white is very reasonable. Squidward's clarinet gives him happiness, and without it, the whole world just appears as a dull, soulless world. The visuals in this episode are fantastic, they do so much more to define the mood of this episode aside from just animating the characters colorless. The rain, the shading, the lighting, they really did a great job paying homage to classic detective movies.

As for the characters in this episode, they are written very well. Krabs was kind of a little too cranky, but his appearance in the ending was really funny. Bubble Bass was perfectly in character, one of the best characters in this episode. SpongeBob made for a good sidekick bouncing off of Squidward during the interrogations, while still managing to remain serious during a lot of his scenes, making him not an annoying nuisance that would completely kill the unique vibe presented in this episode. Squidward was a perfect protagonist, for those who're against "Crazy Squidward", oh boy, this is definitely a treat for you! Patrick was probably the worst part of the episode. He seemed a little too crazy for my taste, but he did keep the plot moving, and wasn't really that much of a filler character. Plus, he ends up joining SpongeBob and Squidward once they've interviewed him, that was a nice little touch, that also cleaned up his performance.

Now comes the humor, I really like the humor in this episode. While I don't find the set-up with everyone freaking out over Squidward's playing that funny, I do think there managed to be some funny gags within this scene. I also really liked how Bubble Bass was now put in a "Comic Book Guy-esque" role. It was great to see his character grow, with his personality splitting away from his standard obese, food-loving character. Probably the funniest part of the episode was the reveal that the action figure scene was really just Spongebob & Bubble Bass playing with their action figures. Squidward's line with this twist was hilarious, one of the funniest jokes I've seen in a long time. There were lots of other neat little details and gags sparkled throughout the episode, but it keeps a relatively calm mood.

One of the better parts of the episode has to be the ending. Squidward manages to successfully get his clarinet back. From whom? The Jellyfish! That was a neat little plot twist. I kind of wished it was Squilliam who stole it, but the Jellyfish plot twist was kind of unique and was something I hadn't thought about. The ending also makes Squdiward's actions worth it! He plays at a Jellyfish club, and all the Jellyfish adore his music. He's finally found an audience that adores his music after being constantly ridiculed by his town. This journey ultimately ended with him winning, and I must say, that's a very satisfying ending.

Overall, it's a Great Episode. One of my new favorites in the Season. I give it a 9.5/10.