• 2/5 Hunts: What's a scavenger hunt?
    • 1/5 Hunts: Not that kind of sandwich!

(No promo image available at this time)

Premieres: 

Thursday, November 9th @ 7:00pm ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, November 11th @ 10:45am ET/PT

Plot:

Squidward sends SpongeBob and Patrick on an increasingly difficult scavenger hunt to get them out of his hair.

Clips:

N/A

Luke Brookshier made a return to guest write this episode.

Edited by jjsthekid

Definitely the best of the week so far (we'll see how Squid Noir fares). Kind of had a Season 4/5-esque vibe to it, probably due to Brookshier's writing. Instead of a typical SpongeBob and Patrick annoy Squidward plot, they did something creative and kind of entertaining with it. Squidward's punishments were actually amusing, and I felt they didn't go overboard with them this time. We even got to see some nice new settings, even if they didn't last long. The ending twist with Mrs. Tentacles adopting SpongeBob and Patrick was an actual clever and fun way to end the episode. There were some other passable gags throughout, like Patrick and the rope. Lastly, while this was a more minor detail, I liked the subtle reference to the first movie with SpongeBob and Patrick's shocked faces upon seeing the Badlands. Overall, a decently fun episode.

Grade: B+

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 5

what @jjsthekid said above, it was pretty fun episode to see SB & Patrick doing something scavenger hunt that Squidward tried to get away with it by winging it turns ourt to be realty except the last item which surprised to see Squidward's mother appares, and that's when SB came up very clever idea to add the twist. Minor details, but the surprised Patrick (and SB) was nice reference to the SB movie.

Overall, it was fun episode

Final Grade: B+

I thought this was a really good episode. I liked the scavenger hunts Squidward gave them and all the places SpongeBob and Patrick went to find them. One of which had Patrick's surprised face from the movie, and when they went to find Squidward's brother, which included Squid's ma-ma appearing ("one of him was enough"). The ending where she adopted them was really funny, and how Squidward's head exploded. Overall really good episode. 

• Like 1

The hunt is finally over. The hunt for a redeeming attempt at the end of this bring the color rainbow. (Hoping Squid Noir is a 5/5 deal tho).

Nothing too sadistic happened to Squidward (How can a man stand it?) and SB/Pat had a few genuinely funny cartoon-y faces in the midst of their baby routine.

The scavenger hunt extending to really far travels outside of Bikini Bottom did slightly remind me of the good old scavenging for crowns in Shell City days. That rock was really cool to give Patrick its spare rope.

Other solid comedy bits: Squidstache, Boxing Begonia and Patrick holding it up as champ, "Six months later", Squidward making a mega house, the way SB/Pat say "Brothers". 

Speaking of that, I predicted the joke to be them finding a long lost brother just because that's usually how the world reacts to Squidward's little white lies. Good swerve and well worth it for that adorable framed family portrait.

• Like 1

I finally watched this and Luke Brooksheir's return was pretty good. Now this is how you do a SpongeBob/Patrick/Squidward episode. It barely went overboard and it was quite amusing. I liked seeing Spongeob and Patrick going to different places to search for things. Squidward's karma wasn't overboard and it was well deserved. Granted it was SpongeBob and Patrick that started all but Squidward's treatment was no better. I really loved how it ended with Squidward becoming SpongeBob and Patrick's brother. It was so unexpected and pretty damn hilarious. This episode wasn't anything amazing but it did its job just fine, being an entertaining 11 minute story.

Grade: B+

• Like 1

Originally written: November 11th, 2017

ScavengerPants was a pretty interesting episode. The plot of it wasn't too original, but somehow the execution of it was surprisingly delightful. The premise of this episode is a pretty standard and basic plot. Probably one of the more basic ones out there. The concept of some character sending a buffoon (Or two) on a wild goose chase to get him/her out of their hair, only to have it backfire has been done tons of times in various cartoons. But I like about this version of that generic storyline is the direction this episode takes. The episode feels much grander than a typical variation of this conflict, focusing on a more adventurous, world-wild atmosphere. Luke (Who I was surprised to see when I saw the opening credits) did a good job giving the plot a little more substance by incorporating much larger and complex sequences in this episode (From the Loch Ness monster scene to the "Long-Lost-Brother" scene). One thing I really like is how this episode managed to stray away from being entirely predictable. A majority of this episode pretty predictable, yet that ending came across as a pretty clever surprise. Unfortunately, Nick did a terrible job by spoiling the ending, making it the thumbnail for the video on their website. Bravo.  :facepalm:

When it comes to it, I think the execution of the plot was fairly decent. I was kind of annoyed by SpongeBob & Patrick though. They are represented like little kids in this episode, which I guess is slightly better than the constant brain dead morons they were in these trio episodes around Seasons 5-8. Still, I do find them to be quite annoying at times, especially when they were jumping on Squidward's couch. That was...well...eh...

The set-up to the conflict of this episode was really the worst part of this episode. Before things started picking up with the duo headed out to collect things, a majority of the set-up relied on SpongeBob & Patrick breaking things in Squidward's house. A trope that's been done plenty of times, and just feels annoying an unnecessary. Sure, Sponge & Pat don't mean it, as their actions are merely accidental, but by golly, it's annoying.  >_>

The way the two annoyed Squidward at the start of the episode came across as kind of annoying, and really just a lame way to set up the conflict. It didn't feel at all that original, it just felt like a rehash of scenes from A Friendly Game. Anyway, I feel as though these scenes dragged on a little long, as I feel as if the episode should've spent more time focusing on SpongeBob & Patrick's adventures, because really, that was the highlight of the episode.

I wish they spent less time on Squidward, and more time on the actually searching, because those scenes take the characters in a completely new environment, something that's really fun to watch go down. Now once Squid does send SpongeBob and Patrick on their way, I feel as though the episode really starts to improve.

The scenery is gorgeous in the desert scene, I really liked the animation. The flower scene was kind of predictable, but was a decent callback to the first movie, and the Loch Ness Monster scene was fantastic, I absolutely adored the creativity of how SpongeBob & Patrick got to the location where they found the monster.

Squidward's scenes after the set-up are fairly decent, too. I really enjoyed seeing the various different ways he danced around, they were really entertaining.

As far as the whole "Long-Lost-Brother" scene goes, I kind of liked it. It was a neat little twist, and really smart on Squidward's behalf. I like how Luke didn't pull some stupid gimmick that Squidward really did have a long lost brother, but rather shows the cold reality once Squidward's mom appears on camera. Sheesh, she was brutal, but hey, Squidward's cynicism had to come somewhere, right?

The ending, as I mentioned before was a pretty clever resolution, one I wouldn't have seen coming if it weren't for Nick's idiotic decision to spoil it.  <_<

Now let's talk about the comedy, this is a fairly funny episode. There are a lot of really pleasant visuals in this episode I really adore (I swear, I don't think I'm going to get over the creativity of that Loch Ness Monster scene), and that allows there to be a lot of funny visuals. SpongeBob super dried up in the desert was kind of funny, and I think the gags with Squidward's heads (Both shattering and exploding) were hilarious. I must say, the writers seem to really like using Live Action, as I noticed they tend to appear much more frequently in episodes. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's good to see them experiment, but I am kind of afraid the charm and surprise of Live Action humor will fade away if they end up being overused. Also, I must say the sweater picture at the end of the episode was hilarious. By far the highlight.

Overall, this is a pretty decent episode. It has enough moments that makes it stand out, and while there are some moments that kind of annoy me, they don't seem to be overdone. The good kind of outweighs the bad in this episode, it's a Good Episode. I liked the small little twists added to this episode, they seemed to be the highlight for me, especially that ending. I give it a 7.1/10.

• Thanks 1

While this isn't great or amazing, this is still a good episode with good gags. What happens to Squidward and how Spongebob and Patrick isn't bad at all in this episode, during the first minute maybe Spongebob and Patrick were slightly annoying, but barely, I don't have a major problem with it, and they were perfectly fine everywhere else. It has many good jokes throughout the episode, and I like the ending where Squidward's mom adopts Spongebob and Patrick. 8/10

• Funny 1