• Advertisement

218b. There's a Sponge in My Soup

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Soups: It's all relative...
    • 4/5 Soups: Hey hey Mr. K, how much money did you make today?
    • 3/5 Soups: Guess I bought the disappearing kind of potatoes...
    • 2/5 Soups: Hold on there lad, you might be overdoing the ingredients!
    • 1/5 Soups: Take this soup back!

SHM72dP.png

Premieres: 

Tuesday, November 7th @ 7:00pm ET/PT

Encores:

Friday, November 10th @ 6:15pm ET/PT

Saturday, November 11th @ 10:15am ET/PT

Plot:

Mr. Krabs' new krabby soup is a hit, until some heat-loving hippies move into the soup vat.

Clips:

N/A

Edited by jjsthekid

Well this episode just...kind of happened? I'm not really sure how to grade this one, but I didn't really expect anything more from Kaz, who has definitely continued to disappoint me lately. It didn't do anything really offensively wrong, but at the same time, I didn't care all that much about what happened, either. I thought the whole "conflict" was kind of dumb tbh, and the hippies weren't really entertaining characters. The Krabs fakeout near the end was also kind of pointless, felt like a cheap attempt to trick us into thinking the episode was going to do something beyond "lol hippies won't get out of the soup". The only thing I really found close to amusing was Patrick's cameo, but even that just felt like it lacked something. Honestly, I think "lacking" is the perfect word for this episode. It just lacked...everything, I guess. It lacked any real jokes or an interesting story. Just felt like a very bare bones concept that was stretched out longer than needed, as if it was a leftover S7 episode. Overall, another episode that wasn't outright awful to me, but at the same time, didn't really need to exist. Much like yesterday's episodes, I'll probably forget about this one by the time the season ends.

Grade: C-

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • God Himself 1

Soup. Hippies. Awful when separate. But when they combine they make....a stupid, mediocre, and aimless episode of Spongebob.

It was just 11 minutes of lazy stereotyping. The soup diving is what elevated it to a cringy nightmare though. Was Kaz high or was he just testing Nickelodeon's standards?

The worst problem I have is that nobody was likeable in this. Krabs was trying to poison customers and I wanted the hippies to be set on fire. Maybe that'd be enough heat.

Spongebob's heel turn comes out of left field and seems like another excuse to pad time since Krabs suddenly thinks of a solution right after the nonexistent shut-down crisis.

Which brings us to Squidward's privacy continually being taken from him. 3 episodes in a row now not about Squidward, but he's the end punchline in two of them.

Final Grade: Cold pool of sweaty soup. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • God Himself 1

The episode was pretty dull to me. The hippies weren't interesting characters, the whole diving into the soup thing didn't make any sense, and even Patrick's cameo was kinda outta left field. I was kinda hoping for the episode to take a dark turn with SpongeBob learning that his hippie lifestyle would mean no krabby patties, but even that didn't go anywhere. I also knew that Krabs was faking being a hippie to teach SpongeBob a lesson.

• Sad 1

Boring, bleh, uninteresting; Kaz REALLY needs to take a LONG vacation from "Spongebob Squarepants" in order to rejuvenate his creative juices. If you were going to SHOW hippies in this show, at ALL, the LEAST you could do is make them INTERESTING, and not one dimensional! o.o This was a bare-bone plots that predictably went nowhere, and is destined to generate a chuckle out of no one. Patrick was the only MILDLY interesting thing in this, and his cameo was over TOO fast! I'd give this episode a 6 out of 10 at BEST! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • God Himself 1

So nobody is gonna mention that Mr. Krabs said "capitalist fool"? ok.

This one was just whatever man like a hippie. The concept was pretty weird but I didn't care too much about it. Hippies were just uninteresting. I'll say that even though it was a short amount of time, I liked Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob bond. Some gags like lady hippie kissing a husband made me laugh, Patrick's cameo was done well and I'll admit hippies being in Squidward's bathtub was kind of humorous.

This was pretty inoffensive episode and I did enjoy some aspects of it but yeah, not exactly an interesting episode. It was just there.

Grade: C+

Originally written: November 8th, 2017

Wow...how do I even begin to describe this episode? Seasons 10 and 11 have had a lot of really strange plots, and this is one of the strangest plots I've ever seen! The concept of this episode is entirely original, it is super unique. It's great to have an episode that delivers such a strong and memorable story, but to have a premise that's entirely unique, it's just fantastic! The concept of this episode is so odd, and so weird that it sounds like it would fail on many levels as a pathetic episode. Well guess what? It does completely the opposite! I don't, I don't know how the team managed to make this work, but the plot was executed fantastically. I didn't spy any real pacing problems, the episode jumped right into the plot. I feel as if this episode spent a lot of time focusing on a silly/surreal atmosphere, along with plenty of weird and outlandish jokes. And with the humor portrayed in this episode, that's a step in the right direction.

This is one of the funniest episodes in the Season, no, it probably IS the funniest episode in the Season. The hippies just make this episode, they're hilarious characters. Are they in everyone's way and cause a nuisance? Yes. But, they're hippies! They don't care, all they care about is the freedom to enjoy life in their own peaceful way (Whether that involves soup or not), so I don't really have a problem with their motivation being pretty lame. Besides, they're so much fun to see in action, just their voices alone are sure to make the stupidest lines seem really funny (Like the gravity line). I really applaud whoever did the voices of the Hippies, they did a great job making these characters come to life, and even somehow sound slightly different from a stereotypical cartoon hippie. This episode is filled to the brim with hilarious jokes. Whether I love them ironically, or unironically, I find this to be a really funny episode. The gag with Krabs using long hair to fish the Hippies out, Krabs destroying his claws, Krabs popping his head randomly out of Squdiward's shirt, there are so many jokes that land on point in this episode that I'd probably spend at least a half hour listing them all. There's all kinds of jokes, some subtle humor like Krabs dumping the Soup back in the pot, or some over-the-top jokes that are funny to see like Squidward's house being personified at the end of the episode. The humor in this episode is really golden, and I find it to be the very best SpongeBob has had to offer in the laugh's department all Season.

Aside from the entirely original plot, as well as the hilarious jokes, I really love the dynamic between Krabs and SpongeBob. This episode feels as though it's stripped straight from Chowder, the surreal plot, the way the jokes were presented, and SpongeBob/Krabs' interactions really made this episode feel as though it was written specifically for Chowder. That's not really a bad thing, I'd love to see future episodes take this writing direction (Without copying this entirely, seeing that it's truly a one-of-a-kind episode). Krabs' motivation may be for saving as much money as possible, and while that trope has been dead since around Season 6, I feel as though it's presented in a pretty funny way. His cheapness doesn't really affect anyone else negatively, in fact, they're usually presented as funny gags that shows off how far Krabs is willing to go to save a buck. And they aren't entirely shoved down your throat, I feel as though a lot of these "Krabs is cheap" jokes really come off naturally. The episode focuses more on Krabs' frustration with the hippies, something that's hilarious to watch.

Overall, this episode is a big win. After many greats, finally, I've found an episode in this Season that's an Amazing Episode. I give it a 10/10

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Now, I know this is an unpopular opinion around here but... I really enjoyed this episode. Starting off, the premise is definitely rather strange. While it's rather par for the course in S11 for there to be weird episode ideas, this one is just out there. However, they work with it well (imo) and it's just an enjoyable episode. The ways in which Spongebob, Squidward and Mr. Krabs try to lure out the hippies with are just great, and while the hippies aren't the most... fleshed-out characters, I don't mind that. The scene with Spongebob hanging out in the soup with the hippies after a while (...yeah, as I said before it's a strange episode) was interesting and rather trippy, and I like what they did with the animation. It's not perfect though; there's a weird scene near the end where Mr. Krabs... shut down the Krusty Krab despite how Spongebob had only been in the soup with the hippies for a few minutes? They don't really explain this much and it's shoved aside in the end but oh well. The ending was rather funny (with the hippies moving into Squidward's bath) and there are some assorted jokes throughout the episode otherwise that I find funny (for example, at one point Mr. Krabs appears out of Squidward's shirt while the latter is trying to throw out the soup and Squidward's reaction is just priceless. Overall, I enjoyed this episode well enough and while I wouldn't call it great, it's honestly an enjoyable and rather underrated addition to the season.

FINAL RATING: 7/10 (BETTER episode)