• Advertisement

222a. Krabby Patty Creature Feature

Jjs Goodman

Episode Rating  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Patties: The original patty is perfect just the way it is!
    • 4/5 Patties: Step right up, and get your new and improved patties!
    • 3/5 Patties: Hey, we want something new too!
    • 2/5 Patties: Maybe I'll pass on this patty...
    • 1/5 Patties: EAT US!

bg9sAuw.png

Premieres: 

Saturday, October 21st @ 10:15am ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, October 21st @ 4:15pm ET/PT

Sunday, October 22nd @ 12:15pm ET/PT

Plot:

A new secret krabby patty formula has disastrous results for Bikini Bottom, and only SpongeBob can save the day.

Clips:

http://www.nick.com/spongebob-squarepants/videos/222-clip-the-food-lab/

Edited by The Lich

Another WEIRD episode, and not the good type of weird! o.o I feel like this episode could've EASILY been criticizing the whole 1985 "New Coke/Original Coca-Cola" debacle. Executives decide that the old recipe wasn't GOOD enough for their consumers, so they come up with a brand new recipe. And their executive meddling ended up proving to be a DISASTER; as original consumers didn't LIKE the new product, and potential new consumers didn't even WANT it! :blush: I just feel like this episode would've worked better as an ordinary, cautionary tale, rather than another new Halloween based segment. It's nice to see Bubble Bass getting featured in these "Spongebob Squarepants" episode more; but this episode just had too much of an uncanny valley feeling for my taste. I'd only give it an eight out of ten at BEST! :rolleyes: Enough said! :cool:

Edited by Zeo Ranger 4Ever
I needed to edit a spelling mistake.

A decent horror zombie homeage, but not something I can rate more than 2.5 (stuck between passing on the patty and wanting to try something new).

The patty people are an ugly eyesore, Krabs/Spongebob have an obnoxious face contest, and most of the episode is just the virus spreading. Plus anyone wanting to go eat a double-priced Krabby Patty after that made my eyes roll. Bleck. 

There's where my "wanting something new" part kicks in. Chum Ex Machina saves the day again. Patrick makes his tired old eating jokes. Spongebob tries to defend the sanctity of the original Krabby Patty, etc. The only new thing here is Krabs hiring on Sandy for food research. 

I kind of wish the episode leaned into the Sandy/Krabs territory instead of just using it as a set-up for a "town erupts into chaos" plot.  Grade: C-

I really enjoyed this episode. While the beginning with the Krabs and SpongeBob laughing face part was a bit unnecessary, the rest of it was really entertaining with the cronenberg/zombie patty apocalypse thing going on. I especially liked the bit between Bubble Bass and Patty Krabs, and it was kinda funny with the hipster fish on their smart phones as they talked to Mr. Krabs (still getting used to seeing smart phones in Bikini Bottom). I did like the twist at the end when SpongeBob found the cure. I still think it was a great episode that's perfect for Halloween.

This one was just okay to me. I'm a sucker for temporary apocalypse episodes and I enjoyed sort of some aspects of the episode but that's also kind of getting riresome at this point because this episode felt nothing new. We've seen how Sandy's science stuff making a krabby patty a device for chaos in The Krabby Patty that Ate Bikini Bottom and we've just seen people turning into monsters in Feral Friends, not the mention Once Bitten did it too. It's weird to me that this was done by three writers, yet premise and the execution are the same. The only difference I can say is that Sandy was the one that screwed everything up but I wish Mr. Krabs would call out Sandy on it and fire her, instead it all ended on same old Mr. Krabs telling people to eat at Krabby Patties. The beginning was also so overused. SpongeBob creating Krabby Patties with different styles is really getting old at this point and SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs stupid laugh felt like the show being aware of it using same thing but not being able to come up with anything else, so it using them randomly laughing and making silly faces and that was weird. Enough with the negativity, I did like some parts here like how patty zombie Jenkins was walking, Bubble Bass' cameo made me laugh and Karen saying "comsume me" was a nice chuckle. This wasn't like a bad episode or anything, It was fun at some aspects but it's the same stuff we've seen in this show and some of that annoyed me.

Grade: B-

Wow. 3 writers for the first time since season 9B. It felt like it's been ages since we got one now that SpongeBob is board-driven. It also saw the return of Chris Allison and Ryan Kramer, who storyboarded Food Con Castaways. These days, Chris works at JG Quintel's new show Close Enough (see his social media accounts), while Ryan works on the Ben 10 reboot. Before that, they both met each other for the Toonhole comic and were storyboard partners of the last 2 seasons of Uncle Grandpa. Anyway, I thought it was a very good good episode. Ok, that beginning with SB and Krabs was just there to fill in the plot and it went on for 30 seconds. I'm surprised Squidward didn't stopped them...since they laughed in front in him. Plus the faces just freaked me out and it gave a Face Freeze vibe. Thankfully Kramer and Allison went more on an UG vibe to their drawings with a bunch of good-usage of off-model. Off-model in post-sequel had been overused since season 10 and it had gotten to the point where it's just there to remind you that the show now feels like a Ren and Stimpy clone. Thankfully like Food Con, they made it feel like an Uncle Grandpa episode with horror genre involved. Sandy's involvement might been used for scientistic purposes, but it was nice seeing her. Any episodes that features majority of the main/supporting cast will get a very high rating for me. Did I forgot to tell you the title card made me hungry? There's title cards like that before (Krusty Dogs), but this is the most delicious looking title card ever. And I actually ate burgers that weekend. Oh, and it was nice to see Bubble Bass once more and he actually made a reference to his very first appearance. Yes, he did bring up the pickles and I thought it was one of the most clever callbacks. All in all, this is a great episode that is basically Fear of a Krabby Patty and The Krabby Patty that Ate Bikini Bottom.

Originally written: October 29th, 2017

This was a very surprising episode. I honestly didn't expect to enjoy this episode as much as I did, I think is a pretty good episode. First off, let's talk about the plot. This is a fantastic parody of a classic zombie apocalypse. The whole concept of these new Krabby Patties that turns you into Krabby Patty Monsters was really interesting, and is definitely different from a standard SpongeBob plot. I really like how the staff produced a handful of Halloween-based episodes, rather than just one single special, because the whole Halloween theme allows them to produce stranger, more outlandish plots that you wouldn't find in a typical SpongeBob episode. And this episode perfectly took advantage of being a Halloween episode by incorporating a zombie survival-esque style. We've seen these survival episodes before, but I don't think we've ever seen one presented in such a way this episode's conflict is presented. This apocalypse goes fast, and soon enough, SpongeBob is the only survivor. He's on his own, he has no help, and limited resources, not to mention the change that occurs to Bikini Bottom seems rather permanent (Goodness, the plague could spread all over the sea, and not just affect Bikini Bottom). This time the enemy isn't something physical like the whelks or the giant Krabby Patty, but rather a plague that seems unstopable. The stakes are much higher when you think about in this episode. So this conflict comes across as the series' own twist on an apocalypse like scenario, only this time, with no fake-out (Like Gone which is kind of like an apocalypse aftermath).

So is the conflict executed properly? I'd say, yes and no. It's entertaining enough, the animation in this episode is fantastic, and really livens things up. I must this is probably one of the best episodes, visually, out of the Post-Prequel era. It's half the fun in this episode, it's not like the characters are constantly bouncing around, or flailing their arms in the air. There's a lot of exaggerated faces in this episode, some which could give Face Freeze a run for it's money. The designs of the mutant Krabby Monsters are awesome too, they all seem to have some sort of unique feature making each stand out from the rest, which makes the scenes even more exciting to look at. I really loved the Old Man Jenkins monster, that was pretty cute. And don't think the episode is fast-paced all the way through, oh no, there are definitely breathers in this episode. Particularly with the scenes involving (What I can only assume is a spoof on millenials? They're too old looking to be teens, they look like they're characters in their early 20's, especially the fish with the small beard) and Krabs.

The animation and creative spoof on zombie apocalypses are definitely the highlight of the episode, but what about the bad parts of the episode?

Well, the set-up to the conflict has been done in various episodes before. Krusty Dogs, Chum Bucket Supreme, you name it. The whole "Bored with Krabby Patties, and wanting something new" has been overdone at this point in the series. I'm really glad the conflict shifted away from the standard climax of these types of plotlines, in which SpongeBob is the only one who believes the Krusty Krab should stick with the traditional Krabby Patty, and it shouldn't be tampered with. Goodness, the ending of this episode where SpongeBob sums this up felt like the resolution of a majority of these "tampering with the formula" episodes. Thank goodness the episode focused on a more chaotic, sci-fi like problem, rather than resorting to being a Krusty Dogs ripoff, because that would be disastrous. There definitely should've been at the very least some kind of ending that didn't rehash the typical lesson of these episodes (Like Free Samples, Le Big Switch, Selling Out, and even Bossy Boots to an extent).

Aside from these issues, I didn't necessarily find this episode to be that funny. There might've been a few jokes that made me chuckle here and there, but the animation is where I found most the amusement in this episode. The plot twist that Chum could cure the disease was super predictable though, I must say they should've went for a more unique, alternate solution to causing the problem. Oh well, at least they didn't pull the absorbency of SpongeBob resolution for the fourth time.

Overall, despite it's flaws, Krabby Patty Creature Feature is a delightful episode, one I definitely recommend checking out. The plot is fun to watch (It's like the events of Fear of a Krabby Patty actually taking place), the animation is fantastic, all of the characters are perfectly written in character, and it's just an overall silly twist on the stereotypical zombie apocalypse (How many times have I said that in this review?).

It's a Good Episode.

I give it an 8/10.

This is a good episode, it's on my great ranking but barely. It has great atmosphere and a great story, and it has good humor with the krabby patty monster things, especially with the bubble bass scene. However, it did have 45 seconds of filler in the beginning with the Face Freeze-like scene, and it might have been a bit gross at times. 8.5/10