• Advertisement

The New Mutants

Turo

okay, FOX has been intriguing me with all this new X-Men Universe. Deadpool was a comedy, Logan was a western, Legion was thriller and now The New Mutants is gonna be all horror. (And X-Men: Phoenix Saga, despite it being used twice, is most likely a space adventure more than a mutant hating plot) I'm so happy that they have been mixing up the superhero formula with trying out new genres. Excluding Apocalypse (I enjoyed it but it was a typical superhero movie), X-Men universe have been on a great path and I'm so hyped for this too.

I'm all for experimenting with the X-Men franchise because good lord does this franchise need some sort of change to keep things interesting.

That being said, this was a good teaser...for a television show.  Not for a major motion picture.  I know that this film has a much lower budget than usual for superhero properties, but I would be lying if I didn't expect the words American Horror Story: New Mutants to show up at the end.

Also, why did they whitewash Dr. Cecila Reyes?  I know that can be asked about multiple major properties these days in Hollywood, but the character is a mix of African-American and Latina.  That's inexcusable that they can't even get that character a credible ethnic actress.

1 minute ago, The Headless Clappy said:

I'm all for experimenting with the X-Men franchise because good lord does this franchise need some sort of change to keep things interesting.

That being said, this was a good teaser...for a television show.  Not for a major motion picture.  I know that this film has a much lower budget than usual for superhero properties, but I would be lying if I didn't expect the words American Horror Story: New Mutants to show up at the end.

Also, why did they whitewash Dr. Cecila Reyes?  I know that can be asked about multiple major properties these days in Hollywood, but the character is a mix of African-American and Latina.  That's inexcusable that they can't even get that character a credible ethnic actress.

I'm not familiar with the character you mentioned but that is really shitty for them to whitewash her. 

Some people also said that this looks like typical horror movie, which I can agree but I'm also glad they're changing up the formula for this one.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-2-gambit-new-mutants-get-new-release-dates-1073560

So Fox is pushing New Mutants back to February 2019, Gambit to Summer 2019, and pushing Deadpool 2 up to May 2018.  The article says something about how Fox doesn’t want to have New Mutants overlap with Deadpool 2 as the reason for the move.  

I’m having a hard time buying that as the reason.  Especially when the test screening for it was very recently.  You don’t push a movie back ten to eleven months for overlap, especially when it’s coming out in two to three.  I’m sensing the screening didn’t go well if it’s getting a near yearlong delay.

7 hours ago, Clappy said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-2-gambit-new-mutants-get-new-release-dates-1073560

So Fox is pushing New Mutants back to February 2019, Gambit to Summer 2019, and pushing Deadpool 2 up to May 2018.  The article says something about how Fox doesn’t want to have New Mutants overlap with Deadpool 2 as the reason for the move.  

I’m having a hard time buying that as the reason.  Especially when the test screening for it was very recently.  You don’t push a movie back ten to eleven months for overlap, especially when it’s coming out in two to three.  I’m sensing the screening didn’t go well if it’s getting a near yearlong delay.

man, that sucks since I was pretty interested in it. Oh well, If the movie sucked, might as well change certain aspects? Idk.

6 hours ago, Clappy said:

Ah well, that's Hollywood for you. I'm not worried.

17 hours ago, Dr. WhoBruh said:

man, that sucks since I was pretty interested in it. Oh well, If the movie sucked, might as well change certain aspects? Idk.

I thought the point of this one was supposed to be trying to change certain aspects of the franchise by making it a horror movie?

7 hours ago, Clappy said:

I thought the point of this one was supposed to be trying to change certain aspects of the franchise by making it a horror movie?

I meant the story, not the genre. :P

Since I didn't want to make a new topic for this; even though we STILL have a health crisis, APPARENTLY, this movie is going to be released IN theaters, on August 28 this year. I'm not sure how that will work, but the trailer for it DOES look very interesting to say the least. I hope I get to see it (probably at a drive-thru, just to be on the safe side). Enough said!