• Advertisement

216a. Cave Dwelling Sponge

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Cavemen: If you want to stay healthy, you have to embrace nature!
    • 4/5 Cavemen: Hot chocolate solves everything.
    • 3/5 Cavemen: I'm gonna visit SpongeBob in the big house, you man the grill!
    • 2/5 Cavemen: I was framed!
    • 1/5 Cavemen: No squeaky...

rYKvgIj.png

Premieres: 

Saturday, September 23rd @ 10:00am ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, September 23rd @ 4:00pm ET/PT

Sunday, September 24th @ 11:30am ET/PT

Plot:

When a prehistoric sponge is unfrozen, he causes chaos all over town and only SpongeBob can communicate with him.

Clips:

http://www.nick.com/spongebob-squarepants/videos/216-clip/

Edited by jjsthekid

Pretty fun episode. Wasn't expecting them to go for the whole "SpongeBob gets framed" narrative, but it was handled well. There were a lot of good gags in this. SpongeBob's "Good morning Squidward!" and Squidward's "It was" exchange was amusing. Perch Perkins was pretty amusing, especially with the whole "go to City Hall" meta joke. I also laughed at the twist of the fact the city hall was going to be eventually destroyed anyways. As for the cave sponge itself, he was cool. Disappointed they didn't use either Caveman SpongeBob or Spongegar, but it wasn't a big deal. His obsession with the squeaky shoes was cute. My only real negative is that Patrick's tongue antics in the beginning were kind of eh, but they didn't go on for too long.

Grade: B+

• Like 2

My expectations for this episode was rather mixed. Not that I thought it was gonna bland and poor, but the plot wasn't anything to make a big deal about. Thankfully, it ended up being just barely good. This episode's Caveman SpongeBob was good, character and design-wise. He didn't really hurt this episode that much. I didn't really liked how SpongeBob got arrested for something he didn't do. The last few minutes were unexpected and the best parts of the episode. Perch Perkins show the show to be honest, and there was a fourth wall joke in the last scene. All in all, decent episode. Not the best way to start off season 11, production code wise, but it's watchable.

Didn't mind Patrick being dragged for an early morning nature hike and the tongue pain that followed for him. One of the less terrible Patrick segments. Cave Sponge's design was a downgrade from previous prehistoric sponge versions. Not sure where Spongebob got the high technology clothes outfitter, but it was convenient to make his counterpart sponge look similar. Loved Gary's reaction to Cave Sponge mumbling out the same thing Spongebob said and breaking through the wall on his way out. Spongebob getting carted to prison was a fun turn, not because the plot's super original, but because it's not a common position for Spongebob to be in. Squidward was an absolute moron to think Spongebob was back after Mr. Krabs and the police had JUST left. The fish's under-reaction of just locking his door was perfect. Perch Perkins live reporting and then steering events, coupled with the comment about life in Bikini Bottom going back to normal if only for this episode, were solidly executed 4th wall breaks.

Grade: B-

A pretty decent episode, all things considering. Not sure WHY they didn't use the primordial Spongebob from "SB-129" or Spongegar from "Spongebob B.C." for the Cave Sponge; although it MIGHT have to do with the idea that neither of those characters would act the way the Cave Sponge did. And Squidward was surprisingly not very genre savvy in this episode segment; he saw the Cave Sponge and thought that only a few MINUTES of jail time made Spongebob look like THAT! :rolleyes: Although it was pretty brilliant to have Perch Perkins break the fourth wall the way he did; to date, this makes THIS episode the most plot relevance to which Perch Perkins has ever contributed to an episode! :D Also, since the Cave Sponge wasn't seen getting arrested or re-frozen, this means he could COME back in a future episode! :cool: I guess I'd give this episode an 8.5 out of 10.

I thought this episode was really good. I for some reason thought SpongeBob looked cute at the beginning while taking a nature walk barefooted. I didn't expect the episode to go the way it did with Spongy-Spongy taking an interest in SpongeBob's shoes and his actions getting SpongeBob framed. I did like Squidward's interactions with him and Spongy-Spongy destroying a person's car and the person just locking it afterwards. I also really enjoyed Perch's fourth wall breaks at the end of the episode, they were funny. 

• Like 1

This episode was okay at best. It wasn't anything special to me and I barely remember what happened here but here are some thoughts.

- BC Sponge was annoying at times but I tolerated him a bit.

- I liked seeing Mr. Krabs sort of caring for SpongeBob.

- Squidward was kind of dumb here, he should have realized that BC Sponge wasn't SpongeBob.

- the new reporter was one of the only memorable things about this episode. Gotta love his 4th wall breaking.

- SpongeBob and Patrick hiking was nice to see, tho Patrick got a bit irritating with the whole tongue joke.

That's about it. I wasn't expecting anything fancy in this but it could have been funnier. Still I didn't mind this one.

Grade: B-

Originally written: Sept. 23rd, 2017

*Sigh* What can I really say about this episode? I wasn't looking forward to it that much in the first place, and when I saw the episode, it somehow managed to be even more disappointing than I thought it could be. This episode...I really don't know how to describe. It's plot is pretty generic to begin with, nothing new is really added to the episode that makes it special, or stand out. It's one of those "What if...?" scenarios that tend to rely on character reaction from the events taking place, or at least humor for it to fall back on. And this episode is sucked dry from all of those aspects. First off, the whole "reaction" element is no good, seeing that the episode relies on SpongeBob's oblivion to Spongey-Spongey's existence. So, that means the episode needs plenty of comedy to make the plot enjoyable (Because it is a pretty predictable/generic plot to begin with). Unfortunately, this episode goes down a similar route to that of Stanley S. SquarePants (An episode, mind you, that I find to be pretty decent). Spongey causes havoc, everyone thinks it's SpongeBob, blah, blah, blah...

ONcTlQn.png

See this image? I find it funnier than the entirety of this episode. Is there any point in including this? No. I just so happened to come across this image, and I actually got a legitimate feeling of laughter, rather than the fake laughter I forced out whenever I spotted a chuckle worthy joke within the episode. Goodness, I'm sure the absurd nature of this joke I implemented into this review is funnier than just about anything you can find in this episode. Spongey-Spongey isn't funny. He's not funny in the slightest, not at all funny. He just comes across as a bland stereotype of a caveman.

Honestly, I think this episode would've done much better if the scenario was switched around. Have SpongeBob travel back in time via a time machine made by Sandy. Or better yet, have him accidentally sent there with Plankton, during an attempt to steal the formula, thus forcing the two to survive in the rough, prehistoric environment. Have Spongey-Spongey appear and help them survive, you can even keep Spongey's love for SpongeBob's squeaky shoes. Meanwhile, have Karen and Sandy team up (Considering that was the highlight of Salsa Imbecillicus) to fix the time machine to save SpongeBob and Plankton. That'd be an exciting episode! That would have interesting chemistry between our main characters, and would even make Spongey more vital to the plot, and not such an unlikable plot device. You could have pretty much the same episode if it was a SpongeBob Robot, or even a dimwitted clone of SpongeBob, I can't see any changes.

The whole "Caveman" theme is hardly explored in the episode. Instead, we're given an "evil doppelganger" episode, which I feel has been done to death in cartoons at this point. Aside from the "He doesn't know better" trait, any distinct trait you'd find in a Caveman character is hardly explored in this episode. The only remotely entertaining part of the episode is when Spongey was cooking Krabby Patties in a prehistoric way. That was entertaining. I would much rather see how Spongey would fit into SpongeBob's lifestyle, with his own Caveman traits incorporated. That would make for some pretty entertaining (And funny scenes). But no, instead we get an unnecessary doppelganger plot that shouldn't belong in this episode!

Now, I will admit, the episode doesn't completely lack humor (Unlike a certain episode paired up with this one...), but there is a significant amount of jokes and gags that aren't funny. There were some jokes I found to be really funny. Squidward's "It was." line was hilarious, I guess since we haven't heard Squidward say that in a while, and the fish locking his car joke was hilarious. That brief 3 seconds was the utter highlight of the episode. If there more subtle moments like these, rather than "IN YOUR FACE, CRAZY ACTION-PACKED VISUALS!" then this episode could've had a chance at being a pretty good episode.

The characters in this episode aren't anything to praise, nor critique. They're all pretty much in character, I don't see any flaws regarding their personalities in this episode.

Let me tell you about my personal least favorite moment in the episode. The climax. While the first few minutes of the episode were pretty boring, and were ultimately a failure in trying to make me laugh, the middle of the episode had some decent moments here and there, the ending is awful! I can't stand the ending of this episode. First of all, the climax (I'm referring to the scene where Spongey and SpongeBob interact at the Prison and City Hall) starts off on a semi-decent note. Not a funny one, but one I can tolerate. Unfortunately, it takes a turn for the worst when they interact at the top of City Hall (If I'm wrong about the location, I'm not surprised, considering how unmemorable and boring the ending is). I'll give it credit for tying in Spongey's obsession with SpongeBob's shoes, despite the dance being anything but enjoyable, it does wrap up a plot point in the episode rather nicely. Unfortunately, the rest of the climax utterly fails at concluding the episode. Spongey destroys city hall, as he's mad at not being able to fit in SpongeBob's shoes. What exactly happens? The police let him off the hook because he saved them millions by tearing down a building that was already going to be torn down.

Image result for squidward club spongebob

What kind of an excuse is that!? A terrible joke that not only fails at being a silly excuse, but also a joke that wraps up an episode horrendously! I get it, it's SpongeBob. This type of silliness is expected within the series, I don't mind that. What I do mind, however, is that this is how the episode ends. No joke, this is how the episode ends. It's a horrible ending, that doesn't even determine the fate of Spongey! If Mr. Lawrence wanted to the episode to go in the direction of a doppelganger episode, I feel as though he should've made time for an ending that manages to set up Spongey's future. For all we know, he's roaming around Bikini Bottom for the rest of the series' run. Perch Perkins did break the fourth wall that the city has returned to a normal state (At least for this episode) at the end of the episode, but that doesn't give us enough of a grand picture as to what happens to Spongey. (Note: I have nothing against Mr. Lawrence. The only reason I said him by name is because I can't say "the writers of this episode", since there's only one writer, and I'm getting tired of having to say "the writer of this episode"). SpongeBob, Sandy, & The Worm had a similar ending, but the difference between this ending, and that ending, is that things actually concluded in that ending! Not only do we get a clear picture of Bikini Bottom's fate, as well as seeing a proper conclusion between SpongeBob & Sandy's conflict between each other, but it also manages to wrap things up in an exciting, and hilarious way. This episode, nothing gets done! Spongey hasn't developed as a character, in fact, he's the same reckless self as he was at the start of the episode. This Caveman being introduced to the new world is the most basic way to sum up this episode, yet, the episode doesn't make an effort to either place Spongey in an environment that'd fit him (Like the forrest), or have Spongey adapt and become civilized, or at the very least somehow fit in with society! We don't get any of that! Now that SpongeBob and the citizens of Bikini Bottom know that Spongey exists, we don't get to see what they do about him! It's one of laziest endings I've seen in the series (Not as lazy as Sportz?, oh no, not even close).

Overall, I give this episode a 3.5/10. It's an Awful Episode.

• Like 1

This is a flawed, but still pretty good episode. On the good side, it has some great jokes (there's not many good jokes but generally when they land at all, they land very well, such as the fourth wall break at the end), the atmosphere is good here, and the cave sponge is pretty cool. It's flaw, however, is that it's too zany. It feels like another season 11 episode with its constant zanyness. Overall, i'd give this a 7/10