• Advertisement

Shugo Chara/Shoujo Anime/Manga Discussion

CyanideFishbone

Decided to broaden this topic out to not just Shugo Chara.

Well, if you've been around me here for the last year or so, I'm pretty sure you know just how much I love this show. I adore it's comedy, it's characters, concepts, action scenes, drama.... man, I couldn't really wish for more in a show that's not already in Shugo Chara. I love it to death. It's always been a source of happiness to me, but I could go into more detail about that later. 

But yeah, for those who have seen Shugo Chara, I'm curious as to your opinions. Love it? Hate it? Hate the third season as much as the rest of humanity (I thought it was alright.)? But yeah, also, I wanted this to be somewhere we could discuss shoujo anime/manga. I've seen Madoka Magica and Shugo Chara only, and want to branch out more into the genre considering how much I liked both of them (obviously I like Shugo Chara a lot more, while still thinking Madoka Magica is really good). I'm gonna start watching Rozen Maiden soon, if that counts.

Cardcaptor Sakura is the best shoujou show imo, it's classic late 90's goodness with great themes for a kids show.  Very good.  Madoka Magica is something I could write about in detail about why I love it and why I hate it both at the same time.  In short, the show's premise is great and the show plays out well with the given circumstances, but in the end, especially the end, the show falls flat.  Still my least favorite ending to an anime series to date for me.  Just really, really bad.

I like Madoka Magica a lot actually, I don't even mind the ending particularly although I wish it wasn't such a blatant cop-out. The basic idea fits within the realm of her character but it's still kind of ridiculous. 

Lucky Star is also really good, and K-On!! is probably my favorite series for various reasons. The movie is particularly good too. Fruits Basket is also a great series even if the manga is stronger for a lot of reasons.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NegiSpongie said:

I really liked Shugo Chara a lot for those reasons, but the last season "Party"...It really brought the anime down on my list for how bad it was.

As for Madoka Magica, it's easily one of my favorite animes

I liked Party, and I've expressed a lot of thoughts about it on my blog. I don't really want to repeat it, so you can check out some of my blog entries (I think you commented on one of them)

TLDR: Rikka and Hikaru? Was that his name? The bowl haircut emotionless kid. Anyways those two were too overused and it sucks that those two characters kind of took the main stage when I wanted to wrap up some of the character arcs of the main characters. Both of those characters were overused as fuck, and they really should've toned them down.

As for the cutaway segments... really not necessary, and sometimes.... painful to sit through? It might have been just me, but it kind of seemed like the actors for Amu's character transformations did not want to be there, and I remember Amulet Clover looking super uncomfortable. The only segment I avidly liked of those was Shugo Chara Puchi Puchi, those were an excellent idea of shorts between the Guardian Characters. Honestly, I kind of want to revisit some episodes that season. The only episode I went back to was Amu babysitting Ami, and I loved that episode because of Ami and Amu's relationship in it. I thought the finale was pretty good. I also remember really liking the one where Amu and Rikka go on a picnic and the amusement park episode. I need to rewatch most of the season, because I really want to get a lot of my opinions down, but I remember liking it but not as much as the first two seasons.