• Advertisement

The Magic School Bus Rides Again

Clappy

Wow look at that YouTube like/dislike ratio...

...I surprisingly didn't mind this trailer.  Yeah the animation isn't as impressive as I was expecting, somehow I like the 90s animation more than this modern one.  I am all for a new Magic School Bus for this generation.  I think Kate McKinnon is a great replacement for Lily Tomlin as Mrs. Frizzle's sister from the city.  Lin Manuel Miranda's remake of the theme is really catchy.  My hope is that the new generation this is meant for finds this as educationally entertaining as I did with the original series.

• Like 1

If there's much of a point besides them riding solely on brand recognition like with Death Note, I wouldn't mind watching this for nostalgia purposes. Besides that it doesn't really look too special at all to make me remotely interested, and it's not just because I'm not in the target demographics anymore.

I'll have to wait until there's more development to this but probably a lot of people will still put on the originals anyway over this. When I was watching the original I noticed the realistic yet bouncy animation which made everything easy to understand but still fun, I guess? Just sort of unappealing to look at for long times. I only see a point in this if they come up with new topics otherwise it's just redundant to me.

9 minutes ago, Clappy said:

He's there.  They got rid of the Afro.

Is he the one in the green sweater?  :/

Edited by MMM

I was hoping that if they ever DID bring back "The Magic School Bus," that they would focus more on the time travels into history (there are at least a couple of "Magic School Bus" books out there that have seen Ms. Frizzle and the children traveling into the past; one dealing with Imperial China and the other dealing with famous scientists in history). But this might be good, to. I'll reserve judgment until I actually see it.

7 hours ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

Not really a replacement, Wumbo. Think of her as just a younger Frizz.

Pretty much a replacement given that she acts nothing like Ms Frizzle from the trailer I saw and lacks so much of the charm that made the character great.

48 minutes ago, Wumbo said:

Pretty much a replacement given that she acts nothing like Ms Frizzle from the trailer I saw and lacks so much of the charm that made the character great.

To paraphrase Heath Ledger as The Joker from "The Dark Knight", : "Dr. Who, is CONSTANTLY replaced with actors who act nothing LIKE each other, nobody bats an eye. Ms. Frizzle is replaced ONCE by an actress who acts nothing like the original, and everybody loses their MINDS!!!!" o.o Why don't you actually WATCH the special before you make a judgment, okay?

4 minutes ago, 4EverGreen said:

To paraphrase Heath Ledger as The Joker from "The Dark Knight", : "Dr. Who, is CONSTANTLY replaced with actors who act nothing LIKE each other, nobody bats an eye. Ms. Frizzle is replaced ONCE by an actress who acts nothing like the original, and everybody loses their MINDS!!!!" o.o Why don't you actually WATCH the special before you make a judgment, okay?

Good point. Never judge a book by its cover.