• Advertisement

Your Thoughts on Weight, Health, Fat Acceptance, etc

Cha

I never meant that you should abstain from water, just read my comment. What I meant to say is that you should abstain from eating a lot of food and you should try drinking some water along the way. Drinking water is a good way of losing weight, especially if the water is cold enough for it to actually burn calories.

As someone who has grown up not being taught health habits at all, I'm trying my best to fix it and I think it's really important honestly to fix it. I don't agree with telling people who are not healthy that it is okay to stay that way but it should be done in an encouraging matter and frankly only from people who actually care and are close to them--it's really no one else's business.

Thinking about this topic more has led me to a somewhat different conclusion about the idea of fat-shaming. I was mainly led to this because, as Kat mentioned, it's important to look at the opposite end of the spectrum, and there have been several times in my life in which I have struggled from being too skinny, mainly due to anorexia. A lot of the reactions I got around this time were very similar to those that an obese person might get-- namely everyone around me trying to control what I ate, when I ate, and essentially bullying me into doing what they told me. At this time, I wasn't receiving any sort of therapy for these problems, and because of this my family didn't know exactly how to deal with the issue. Still, I know that the hostile and controlling way they went about it wasn't nearly as helpful as they hoped it would be. In fact, though I do eat on a regular basis now, there are still multiple points throughout the week where I'll either try to hold out without eating for as long as I can, or try to make myself throw up afterwards. This situation also made it very difficult for me to eat in front of other people, to the point of which I have to have a strong trust in you as a person before I feel like I can show you what/how I eat. 

The reason behind fat-shaming I hear the most is that people are simply trying to help, and that there are various pieces of anecdotal evidence out there you can cherry-pick to prove it's a positive thing, but I can do the same thing. Even worse, fat-shaming could potentially lead to life-threatening eating disorders like anorexia, and yet these developments are sometimes celebrated because at least the person is losing weight, right? 

15 hours ago, Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:

Your source is outdated by 17 years. Probably should look at the publishing date before posting. My health textbook, published in 2012, actually recommends 6-12% for men, 9-16% for women. That's where I got my number from. Whether or not this is outdated information today, I do not know - I'm not a professional nutritionist that keeps up with this information. 10% seems to be a medium in that range, according to my source.

Then again, this is a science so recommendations change all the time. Up until this year, coconut oil was seen as a very healthy thing for multiple purposes. Now we know different.

You should probably take different body types, genders, levels of athleticism, and body composition into account before posting be-all, end-all statements that only serve to induce stress onto those who don't have less than 10% body fat.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, crushingmayhem said:

You can like whoever you like. Weight shouldn't matter to anyone who is seeking a relationship or being accepted by others. The ones that think fat people are not to be dealt with are sad individuals who don't appreciate a person by their personality and beliefs. Losing weight is not always the right way to find acceptance, even though weighting less can potentially make you healthier. People's tastes vary, there are some that don't mind your weight when seeking a friend but others do.

You can lose weight by following a daily routine of abstaining from eating and drinking water, you don't have to overwork yourself through sometimes painful exercise. Even if your BMI is slightly above average you can still be healthy, its wrong to say that you have greater health risks by just being slightly above the average ranking. I always think its the genes that make you more and/or less immune to diseases, it varies from person to person.

I agree that you shouldn't overwork yourself but exercise is important. You can't lose weight simply by drinking water and cutting back on the amount of food you eat (and I agree with Wumbo that when it comes to food it's most important to eat well, meaning a healthy diet)

As for dating fat people, it's just a matter of taste. *shrug* I'm sorry if this makes me come across as shallow but I'm not sure if I could date a guy who was overweight. I'd be worried about his health and if he wasn't willing to embrace a healthier lifestyle then that could be a problem in the long run. I don't think that necessarily makes you a "sad" individual. Looks aren't everything but they still do matter in some respects.

• Like 4

That's your point of view, it still doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't judge their character on their appearance. You might worry about his health which is fine, but choosing a skinny yet mean guy instead of a nice overweight guy just seems sad in my eyes. Supporting the guy who is overweight in losing weight is the right way to go, but judging them because of it shouldn't be the way to go. Of course, people have different opinions on the subject and that's fine, but people should have the adequate weight loss routine that's suitable to their needs, that's why in my case I mentioned the water drinking and abstention from eating too much as my method of losing weight because its what has worked for me. Other methods work for others because its what works for them, and that's totally understandable.

32 minutes ago, Katniss said:

I agree that you shouldn't overwork yourself but exercise is important. You can't lose weight simply by drinking water and cutting back on the amount of food you eat (and I agree with Wumbo that when it comes to food it's most important to eat well, meaning a healthy diet)

As for dating fat people, it's just a matter of taste. *shrug* I'm sorry if this makes me come across as shallow but I'm not sure if I could date a guy who was overweight. I'd be worried about his health and if he wasn't willing to embrace a healthier lifestyle then that could be a problem in the long run. I don't think that necessarily makes you a "sad" individual. Looks aren't everything but they still do matter in some respects.

Coming from someone who went on an extreme diet for 5 days and probably gained back the weight anyway a few days later, yes exercise is the most important factor.  A good 3 mile power walk work-out (I suggest Leslie Sansone who's on YouTube, she helped me lose 15 pounds) before or after having a healthy and portioned meal. If you want to be healthy you have to exercise regularly or even 3-4 days out of the week.  Though it can be difficult, I get lazy myself and don't exercise for a week. And please eat when you're hungry. :P It messed up my immune system for weeks when I ignored my stomach. I'm trying to not starve myself as much.

And of course dating is a subjective thing and people are allowed to be choosy as much as they want. Wanting to date someone of your own race, health, cis-gendered, whatever else is your preference and people are gonna have to spend a part of their lives with this person so it better be someone they are attracted to both physically and mentally.

• Like 1

Haha sorry for misreading your post crushing. I just think we need to be careful about the way we go about giving advice to people regarding dietary habits. Eating disorders are a real thing, and too much of "you need to eat less" or, hell, "you need to lose weight" can easily trigger one. Just be mindful, is all.

23 hours ago, crushingmayhem said:

You can like whoever you like. Weight shouldn't matter to anyone who is seeking a relationship or being accepted by others. The ones that think fat people are not to be dealt with are sad individuals who don't appreciate a person by their personality and beliefs. Losing weight is not always the right way to find acceptance, even though weighting less can potentially make you healthier. People's tastes vary, there are some that don't mind your weight when seeking a friend but others do.

You can lose weight by following a daily routine of abstaining from eating and drinking water, you don't have to overwork yourself through sometimes painful exercise. Even if your BMI is slightly above average you can still be healthy, its wrong to say that you have greater health risks by just being slightly above the average ranking. I always think its the genes that make you more and/or less immune to diseases, it varies from person to person.

At the risk of sounding like a dick, I disagree (to an extent).

I don't agree with the school of thought that anybody who isn't romantically interested in somebody because of a facet of their exterior (whether it be their weight, height, skin color, eye color, hair color, body build, physical fitness – whatever the case may be) is automatically "too judgmental" (and just as a sidebar, I'm not saying that you or anyone in this topic said that, just a generalization of what I've seen others say).

If somebody isn't into fat people, I don't see the problem? As in in a romantic way. Everybody has their tastes in dating, and if someone isn't looking to date an overweight person, then I don't see an issue with that, in the same way I don't see an issue with someone who isn't really into blondes or maybe someone who is more attracted to Latinas than an African-American.

Again, in my view, this ONLY applies to romantic interests. Nobody should ever be discriminated against because they are overweight (or for any other reason). I understand the sentiment behind "Weight shouldn't matter in a relationship," but the truth (whether anybody wants to admit it or not) is that is does.

And to be honest, it works the reverse way as well. Some people are into people who are curvy and on the chubby side. Would they also be considered assholes in the same way the "I'm not really into chubby people" persons are?

• Like 3