• Advertisement

Close Enough

CyanideFishbone

JG Quintel (creator of Regular Show)'s brand new series that is coming to TBS I believe next year. One thing is obvious already and that is the fact that the animation is pretty much the same as Regular Show's but I can get over that because the series looks like it'll carry on Regular Show's absurdity and the best thing about it is the fact that they are going to get away with so many more jokes here than they did in Regular Show, and yeah I love Regular Show so much and it was pretty much THE cartoon that got me to want to pursue animation. So yeah this looks pretty great.

Edited by CyanideFishbone
  • Like 1

Not exactly hyped for this. This feels like Regular Show: Adult Party Cartoon. I understand this is J.G.'s style but both shows look exactly like each other, except Close Enough is edgier.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reverse-Flash said:

Not exactly hyped for this. This feels like Regular Show: Adult Party Cartoon. I understand this is J.G.'s style but both shows look exactly like each other, except Close Enough is edgier.

What I'm really hoping is that there is going to be a lot of emotion put behind this like there was in Regular Show with Mordecai's love issues, Rigby graduating high school, being in space, etc. And with the concept I think there's a lot of potential for that (such as the theme of coming of age, struggling with parenting, and being swept up in the flow of the growing modern world while raising a daughter and being married). While the trailer did kind of make it seem like "xdd dick jokes!!!!!" I really hope there's more than meets the eye. I still liked the trailer as I think the show has a lot of potential to be funny because of the breathing room for jokes and the few in the trailer did get a laugh out of me, I just don't want it to rely on the over the top surrealism that Regular Show did with supernatural stuff to give it an identity of it's own and considering Regular Show's run I think they've cranked out enough supernatural shit happening to last a lifetime.

Also, the trailer... didn't really say anything about the actual show besides the jokes and crazy shit happening, which I like the last part but I don't want it to feel forced or be supernatural because Regular Show's craziness was supernatural. I really await to know more about these characters.

Edited by CyanideFishbone
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Reverse-Flash said:

Check out his CalArts film if you haven't - it's pretty similar to this. I have a feeling this is the type of show he's wanted to make all along, and he just took a slight detour with Regular Show because Cartoon Network decided to scoop him quickly after Flapjack's crew started to dissolve.

Cautiously optimistic about this. Trailer looks good and I typically jive with JG's sense of humor and overall sensibilities, but TBS hasn't exactly produced the highest quality original content over the years. Hopefully they just let him go buck wild with this.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Reverse-Flash said:

This trailer got more laughs out of me than any episode of APC.

• Like 1

Just now, HelloMisterSpringtime said:

This trailer got more laughs out of me than any episode of APC.

I mean I was just referring to that this is just Regular Show, except it's for adults but it's definitely not gross and the trailer has a few lines that made me laugh.

Regular Show Adult Party Cartoon looks like the perfect way to describe this. A little too much focus on the "adult" humor in the trailer, I may watch given the time but I won't have any set expectations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terminoob said:

Check out his CalArts film if you haven't - it's pretty similar to this. I have a feeling this is the type of show he's wanted to make all along, and he just took a slight detour with Regular Show because Cartoon Network decided to scoop him quickly after Flapjack's crew started to dissolve.

Cautiously optimistic about this. Trailer looks good and I typically jive with JG's sense of humor and overall sensibilities, but TBS hasn't exactly produced the highest quality original content over the years. Hopefully they just let him go buck wild with this.

2 AM in the PM is some high quality shit

Honestly the fact that it's on TBS doesn't bother me at all because JG's crew and himself are behind this and judging how Regular Show is one of my favorite cartoons of all time I'm really not worried over it. Of course there's the factor of how TBS runs business which I don't know, but I'm going in with good expectations but I don't want to overhype it too much.

1 hour ago, Reverse-Flash said:

I mean I was just referring to that this is just Regular Show, except it's for adults but it's definitely not gross and the trailer has a few lines that made me laugh.

I think J.G. wanted it to be a spiritual successor to Regular Show.

• Like 1

I guess it would also be newsworthy to add that TBS is getting its own block of adult animated shows (Final Space is the only thing I'm hyped up for). I haven't gotten as far into Regular Show to make a bigger judgement, but I'll at least say that I don't have high expectations for J.G. Quintel's new project. It doesn't look to be Tarantula levels of bad, but from what I've seen from the preview, I didn't find it funny and it barely brings anything new to the adult cartoon format, IMO.

Edited by Steel Sponge

7 minutes ago, Steel Sponge said:

I guess it would also be newsworthy to add that TBS is getting its own block of adult animated shows (Final Space is the only thing I'm hyped up for). I haven't gotten as far into Regular Show to make a bigger judgement, but I'll at least say that I don't have high expectations for J.G. Quintel's new project. It doesn't look to be Tarantula levels of bad, but from what I've seen from the preview, I didn't find it funny and it barely brings anything new to the adult cartoon format, IMO.

I don't think it's nothing new or groundbreaking but I think JG's trademark surrealism will be great for this format of an animated program. As I said the trailer already made the show seem pretty funny to me and I love Regular Show so much that I just can not be super hyped over this. I don't want my expectations to be insane but I just can not help myself from being super hyped.

I'm looking forward to this. I'm in the minority that enjoy the so called mature jokes in adult cartoons (which explains my bias for modern Family Guy), so I got laughs from most of the clips here.

The comparison to Ren and Stimpy :APC seems a little insulting, but Quintel isn't the first person to start out with kids cartoons and then move to adult animation (Seth MacFarlane is one major example). It's debatable if Regular Show was for kids, but majority of it did felt like one (Except the early seasons)

Count me in on looking forward to this too. I don't know why people are comparing this to Adult Party Cartoon. First of all, Regular Show was not a kid's show, it was rated TV-PG and had enough adult shit to justify the rating. Ren and Stimpy had a lot of hidden adult humor and stuff that was arguably inappropriate for kids, but it was still intended for kids. That was a big part of its charm and APC took that away. Second, this is not a sequel to or a spin-off of Regular Show, it stands on its own. And finally, like SG said, that trailer was much funnier than anything I've seen of APC...and a lot I've seen from adult cartoons in general.

Edited by Metal Snake
  • Like 2

Count me in as a Regular Show fan who wasn't impressed with the trailer, though not because of its increased edginess, surprisingly enough. To me, *based only on what's in the trailer,* Close Enough just seems like a rehash of what Regular Show was, and I was hoping JG Quintel would do something different with another show. Still, I'm not against checking it out to see if it will have those more emotional moments or at least be funny. I'll just have to wait and see, I guess. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FAS said:

I'm looking forward to this. I'm in the minority that enjoy the so called mature jokes in adult cartoons (which explains my bias for modern Family Guy), so I got laughs from most of the clips here.

The comparison to Ren and Stimpy :APC seems a little insulting, but Quintel isn't the first person to start out with kids cartoons and then move to adult animation (Seth MacFarlane is one major example). It's debatable if Regular Show was for kids, but majority of it did felt like one (Except the early seasons)

1 hour ago, Metal Snake said:

Count me in on looking forward to this too. I don't know why people are comparing this to Adult Party Cartoon. First of all, Regular Show was not a kid's show, it was rated TV-PG and had enough adult shit to justify the rating. Ren and Stimpy had a lot of hidden adult humor and stuff that was arguably inappropriate for kids, but it was still intended for kids. That was a big part of its charm and APC took that away. Second, this is not a sequel to or a spin-off of Regular Show, it stands on its own. And finally, like SG said, that trailer was much funnier than anything I've seen of APC...and a lot I've seen from adult cartoons in general.

people, I wasn't comparing it to APC. This looks nothing like APC and thank god it isn't.

I was using APC as a joke because this is just Regular Show, except there are more adult humor in it, which isn't a bad thing but not much of it made me laugh so far. I'll hold my judgement after I see the first episode but right now, I don't feel so invested in it.