• Advertisement

212b. Sportz?

Jinjo

Rating  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Footballs: Oh Squiddy, you're a genius.
    • 4/5 Footballs: I'm just giving the people what they want.
    • 3/5 Footballs: That's great, now do it...a hundred more times.
    • 2/5 Footballs: All this pain is starting to hurt...
    • 1/5 Footballs: You don't know what this stuff is!?

8 minutes ago, FinnDinner said:

Yeah, a little disappointing, still think Out of the Picture was more surprising, though.

Let's be real here though: Pieguy's Season 10 video was going to be controversial no matter what, since Season 10 is just so divisive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Depressed Luigi said:

Out of the Picture >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Whatever the hell this Squidward characterization was

The same type of characterization we saw of him in Skill Crane or Snowball Effect. This episode may not be as great as those other two, but it's still fun to watch (at least for me, anyway).

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, SpongeNicko said:

I just rated this 4/5 stars. I just don't get it guys... What's so bad about this episode? The Incredible Shrinking Sponge is the one that I believe deserves the flack for being too weird and dumb.

1: SpongeBob and Patrick are horrifically dumbed down for the sole sake of having this plot in two ways. The first is that the only reason they're in Squidward's yard is because they can't even look at all sides of the box to see Sandy's name clearly there, which is etched out front and center for the audience to see which also basically spells out that she'll be involved later on anyways, thus completely making it predictable. The second thing is that they have absolutely no incentive to continue, and can back out at any time. Yet for whatever reason, they don't, mainly because if they do then this horribly structured plot completely falls apart because Squidward has nothing to force them in. All of this for sports which they somehow didn't even know existed beforehand because PLOT

2: Squidward is so horrifically one note here. At first he is justified because SpongeBob and Patrick's stupidity is so infuriating but over time, just like the rest of the episode, he is completely one note. Also saying this here since I dunno how to multiquote posts on different pages: It's not like the Snowball Effect or Skill Crane whatsoever. In Skill Crane he slowly becomes an addict to the crane, pretty much in vein of a gambler as the episode highlights his diving into insanity. In the Snowball Effect he slowly gets caught up in SpongeBob and Patrick's game a la Idiot Box. Here he does neither of those things and instead becomes a flat out static sadist because PLOT 

3: The only joke in the entire episode (besides "we;re sports fans" which doesn't even count because it spells out the fucking joke) is that sports get reduced to people getting hurt, which is horrifically lazy, insulting, and bland. Alongside completely throwing away anything interesting that can be done with an episode about sporting events, something that SpongeBob is capable of utilizing well as shown in previous episodes, it grows tiring to see and makes the rest of the episode predictable, especially when the last three minutes an already predictable Sandy entrance just leads to Squidward predictably getting beaten up because PLOT NEEDS A KARMIC ENDING

4: The best character in this is Sandy, and she only exists to be a plot device for not even half of the episode.

This is the absolute laziest excuse of any form of entertainment that I have ever seen thrown at an audience, and alongside being unpleasant to watch on its' own, it's insulting how so much of this horrific episode could be fixed if there was a single person who proofread any of this. The most infuriating thing is that all of the glaring issues are so simple to fix, and how they didn't show me that nobody cared when making this episode. For example: give an actual reason for them to not see Sandy's name on the box like it being scratched out. Give them a reason to stay in the game, the crowd peer pressured Squidward so why not do that for SpongeBob and Patrick instead of giving them no motivation?

It feels like it's made from a broken down Factory of Sadness rather than a story that was made by a creative team in an attempt for people to enjoy. At least with the infamous episodes I can tell there was some effort put in there. It was certainly misguided but at least no other episode is completely broken within 30 seconds because the characters have the IQ of a fucking water balloon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's not offensively bad, but not good either. SpongeBob and Patrick are too dumb for my liking (the name is clearly on the one side of the box you didn't look) and the last 4 minutes when Sandy showed up were massively predictable. Some jokes such as Squidwards angel/devil gag and visual of him being turned into calamari were solid, but otherwise this episodes doesn't have much going for it.

Grade: D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Trash Boat said:

1: SpongeBob and Patrick are horrifically dumbed down for the sole sake of having this plot in two ways. The first is that the only reason they're in Squidward's yard is because they can't even look at all sides of the box to see Sandy's name clearly there, which is etched out front and center for the audience to see which also basically spells out that she'll be involved later on anyways, thus completely making it predictable. The second thing is that they have absolutely no incentive to continue, and can back out at any time. Yet for whatever reason, they don't, mainly because if they do then this horribly structured plot completely falls apart because Squidward has nothing to force them in. All of this for sports which they somehow didn't even know existed beforehand because PLOT

2: Squidward is so horrifically one note here. At first he is justified because SpongeBob and Patrick's stupidity is so infuriating but over time, just like the rest of the episode, he is completely one note. Also saying this here since I dunno how to multiquote posts on different pages: It's not like the Snowball Effect or Skill Crane whatsoever. In Skill Crane he slowly becomes an addict to the crane, pretty much in vein of a gambler as the episode highlights his diving into insanity. In the Snowball Effect he slowly gets caught up in SpongeBob and Patrick's game a la Idiot Box. Here he does neither of those things and instead becomes a flat out static sadist because PLOT 

3: The only joke in the entire episode (besides "we;re sports fans" which doesn't even count because it spells out the fucking joke) is that sports get reduced to people getting hurt, which is horrifically lazy, insulting, and bland. Alongside completely throwing away anything interesting that can be done with an episode about sporting events, something that SpongeBob is capable of utilizing well as shown in previous episodes, it grows tiring to see and makes the rest of the episode predictable, especially when the last three minutes an already predictable Sandy entrance just leads to Squidward predictably getting beaten up because PLOT NEEDS A KARMIC ENDING

4: The best character in this is Sandy, and she only exists to be a plot device for not even half of the episode.

This is the absolute laziest excuse of any form of entertainment that I have ever seen thrown at an audience, and alongside being unpleasant to watch on its' own, it's insulting how so much of this horrific episode could be fixed if there was a single person who proofread any of this. The most infuriating thing is that all of the glaring issues are so simple to fix, and how they didn't show me that nobody cared when making this episode. For example: give an actual reason for them to not see Sandy's name on the box like it being scratched out. Give them a reason to stay in the game, the crowd peer pressured Squidward so why not do that for SpongeBob and Patrick instead of giving them no motivation?

It feels like it's made from a broken down Factory of Sadness rather than a story that was made by a creative team in an attempt for people to enjoy. At least with the infamous episodes I can tell there was some effort put in there. It was certainly misguided but at least no other episode is completely broken within 30 seconds because the characters have the IQ of a fucking water balloon.

Well, I'm glad that I've finally seen a detailed response from someone explaining why they hate this episode. I don't agree with everything you've said here, in fact not most of it, but I can at least see where you're coming from. Thanks for the response.

• God Himself 2

Since I never posted a real review on this thread, I decided to post my real review of this episode:

Wow, impressed. All from Michigan was seen. The memorable stadium setpiece was more than just a side character the this episode. They didn't lie, they were a honest slug. They also had amazing choices for the colors. It was funny. DIVINE episode. Do this again Nick. 13/13.

• God Himself 1