• Advertisement

Death Note (Netflix Movie)

Clappy

10 hours ago, Doug Dimmadome said:

It's that this is over the top and instead of having a serious effect it gives off a more comedic vibe which seems just like an extremely bad choice. He can still flip the fuck out because any sane person would but goddamn the pitch of the scream is what makes me find it laughably bad more than anything. It still wasn't as bad as the music choice for the ferris wheel though, they just went full "generic action movie" with the explosions and "I regret how this happened" music as I like to call it playing in the background.

As I said, I didn't think it was supposed to be serious and they knew what they were doing (otherwise I think we would've seen a lot more of that type of scene/acting throughout the movie), it was more just a poor choice to actually do comedy there rather than something serious because it wasn't a particularly funny movie.

Honestly didn't like this...but I didn't think it was as bad as most of the people I know found it to be.  I really liked Adam Wingard's direction more than I thought I would and Willem Dafoe worked as Ryuk which I expected because Dafoe is definitely capable of hamming it up when he needs to and his performance and the portrayal of Ryuk was far more faithful to the source material than I worried it would.  And even though I didn't like L, I thought Lakeith Stanfield was fine.

Everything else though...okay not everything was bad, but if I could chalk up just one major problem throughout this movie that others have already touched upon that I also agree was not good was the writing.  The pacing was awful.  What I loved about the anime was that it took its time slowly to tell such a great story.  Not here.  Everything just felt rushed just so they can meet the expected run time.  I honestly think if it was longer, it could have been colder and thrilling like the anime.

Did not like Mia as a character.  I thought she was written terribly and just felt...yeah what termi said about just being a stock crazy character.  I badly wish that I felt more of a connection with Light though.  He was just not as clever as he was in the anime.  Yeah he still had the intention to do good and have a real motive and drive to do so.  But his character just fell off the rails really early and became so...one note.

Very disappointing.  I wish this was so much better than it was and wanted to like this because of how much I adore the anime.  I tried to like it I really did but this was not a good adaptation.

19 minutes ago, Clappy said:

Honestly didn't like this...but I didn't think it was as bad as most of the people I know found it to be.  I really liked Adam Wingard's direction more than I thought I would and Willem Dafoe worked as Ryuk which I expected because Dafoe is definitely capable of hamming it up when he needs to and his performance and the portrayal of Ryuk was far more faithful to the source material than I worried it would.  And even though I didn't like L, I thought Lakeith Stanfield was fine.

Everything else though...okay not everything was bad, but if I could chalk up just one major problem throughout this movie that others have already touched upon that I also agree was not good was the writing.  The pacing was awful.  What I loved about the anime was that it took its time slowly to tell such a great story.  Not here.  Everything just felt rushed just so they can meet the expected run time.  I honestly think if it was longer, it could have been colder and thrilling like the anime.

Did not like Mia as a character.  I thought she was written terribly and just felt...yeah what termi said about just being a stock crazy character.  I badly wish that I felt more of a connection with Light though.  He was just not as clever as he was in the anime.  Yeah he still had the intention to do good and have a real motive and drive to do so.  But his character just fell off the rails really early and became so...one note.

Very disappointing.  I wish this was so much better than it was and wanted to like this because of how much I adore the anime.  I tried to like it I really did but this was not a good adaptation.

I know this is so meticulous but god i just can't help it and it distracts me way more than it should, but am I the only one who hates how they Americanized some of the names? I'm sorry, it bugs me way more than it should. There's really no reason. I just don't get it at all, but whatever. I can get over it.

Honestly I'm kind of teetering on the idea of "watching it and forming my own opinion" instead of going with everything, because I've just heard people who are like "Yeah it was pretty alright", to "oh my god it was the worst thing I've ever seen", and yeah, I've seen no "Yeah dude it was really great", so yeah. I expect for my time to be wasted though, of course. I mean, I liked Ghost In The Shell 2017 (saw it the day it came out) and thought for what it was it was pretty alright and the reception for that movie was extremely mixed, even though I really didn't go into that one with expectations. Guess I might watch it this weekend. I don't know man. 

3 hours ago, CyanideFishbone said:

I know this is so meticulous but god i just can't help it and it distracts me way more than it should, but am I the only one who hates how they Americanized some of the names? I'm sorry, it bugs me way more than it should. There's really no reason. I just don't get it at all, but whatever. I can get over it.

Mia isn't even sort of the same character as Misa so there's no reason to call her Misa (Light's not really Light either but he's the main character so I'm letting it slide) - why they called her Mia and not, like, Jennifer or something who knows - and white people portraying the "Yagami" family would be, uh... bad, probably (and, going along with that, they changed the name of Light's dad because a white person portraying "Soichiro Yagami" would also be bad). They kept L, Ryuk, Watari, and Kira (L wouldn't really have a reason to be changed, but they could've easily gone with, like, Dante, Smith, and... I don't know, Baguette or something). Name changes are probably the least problematic thing about the movie.

Also: always form your own opinion on something. You may end up hating it, but at least you came to the conclusion by yourself and you weren't just going along with the majority (and try to go in with an open mind instead of thinking "well this is gonna be a waste of my time but here we go anyway" - it's healthier and less detrimental to your overall viewing experience).

19 hours ago, terminoob said:

Mia isn't even sort of the same character as Misa so there's no reason to call her Misa (Light's not really Light either but he's the main character so I'm letting it slide) - why they called her Mia and not, like, Jennifer or something who knows - and white people portraying the "Yagami" family would be, uh... bad, probably (and, going along with that, they changed the name of Light's dad because a white person portraying "Soichiro Yagami" would also be bad). They kept L, Ryuk, Watari, and Kira (L wouldn't really have a reason to be changed, but they could've easily gone with, like, Dante, Smith, and... I don't know, Baguette or something). Name changes are probably the least problematic thing about the movie.

Also: always form your own opinion on something. You may end up hating it, but at least you came to the conclusion by yourself and you weren't just going along with the majority (and try to go in with an open mind instead of thinking "well this is gonna be a waste of my time but here we go anyway" - it's healthier and less detrimental to your overall viewing experience).

I know that, it's just a lot of the criticisms I've seen are honestly really hard to ignore. I can't say I hate it of course because I haven't seen it, but the movie doesn't look good to me. I'l form my own opinion though, when I see it, which could be this weekend or several years down the line. 

On 8/25/2017 at 6:06 PM, Sunshine Banjo Face said:

Yeah if you needed further confirmation...this is just laughable and it's not even one of the plot related issues this has

I laughed at that for about 5 minutes straight.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm not gonna watch this. Death Note has a special place in my heart and I want to keep my happy memories of it. I watched it in a rough patch in my life (late 2015) and yeah, it was a form of solace for me. So yeah, I want to keep my memories of it. 

Also the show's soundtrack is fucking amazing too. Just saying, it's really fucking great 

Edited by CyanideFishbone

Watched it a while back. I honestly expected more but of course in my opinion the original series will always be the best. The portrayal of the characters was at best from fair to bad. They shouldn't have changed the names of the characters imo, even if it was meant for a western audience.

4 hours ago, crushingmayhem said:

Watched it a while back. I honestly expected more but of course in my opinion the original series will always be the best. The portrayal of the characters was at best from fair to bad. They shouldn't have changed the names of the characters imo, even if it was meant for a western audience.

never seen the movie but they should have casted japanese actors/actresses for their roles.