• Advertisement

Animaniacs is getting the reboot bug as well

Ash Ketchum

On 6/5/2017 at 1:12 PM, Third Chiro♥ said:

If Steven Spielberg is involved, I'm game. I'm a fan of pretty much all of his shows.

including Batman: The Animated Series? :funny: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hachiro♡ said:

including Batman: The Animated Series? :funny: 

Steven Spielberg wasn't RESPONSIBLE for that series! :rolleyes: In fact, with the exception of the very FIRST "Superman" movie, (made WAY back in 1978), I don't think Steven Spielberg has ever WORKED on anything involving a DC comic book character! o.o

1 hour ago, 4BlackHawk said:

Steven Spielberg wasn't RESPONSIBLE for that series! :rolleyes: In fact, with the exception of the very FIRST "Superman" movie, (made WAY back in 1978), I don't think Steven Spielberg has ever WORKED on anything involving a DC comic book character! o.o

oh just figured since it was on the warner bros cartoon line up

I don't see this being true to the original show, given how modern standards are for cartoons.  I don't think something as somewhat mean-spirited, crazy and gag-filled as the Animaniacs would retain its true spirit.  I mean, have you seen Wabbit?  It's not really as over the top as Looney Tunes, at least from the clips I've seen.  But hey, I could be wrong and this could be as good or even more than the original!  However, I'm just going to remain cautiously optimistic.

1 hour ago, Bugs Bunny said:

I don't see this being true to the original show, given how modern standards are for cartoons.  I don't think something as somewhat mean-spirited, crazy and gag-filled as the Animaniacs would retain its true spirit.  I mean, have you seen Wabbit?  It's not really as over the top as Looney Tunes, at least from the clips I've seen.  But hey, I could be wrong and this could be as good or even more than the original!  However, I'm just going to remain cautiously optimistic.

I guess that's true. It's surprising that the original got away with most of the stuff that it did at the time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DarkEvil LaserPants said:

I guess that's true. It's surprising that the original got away with most of the stuff that it did at the time.

Agreed. When you THINK about it, studio censors were pretty LAX about a lot of things in the early 1990's! o.o If it wasn't for "South Park", who KNOWS what things cartoons MIGHT be able to get away with! :D (I mean, they still do, but there's the WHOLE TV ratings system thing in place now, once again thanks to "South Park.")

I watched the whole season on Hulu, and I gotta say that as far as reboots go, this is definitely one of the ones that are as good as and respectful to the original, and not just made because they wanted to cash in on the popularity of the original show. A lot of the episodes were really funny, especially since we get to hear the Warners making  jokes and references to modern pop culture, though it is a little shocking to hear Wakko and Brain say the word "hell". The songs and music is great too, especially since they got an orchestra to compose the music just like the original series did.

There are a few drawbacks though. The only recurring segments on the show are "The Warners" and "Pinky and the Brain", which aren't bad. The segments are good quality, but can get a little tiresome after a while. There are two completely new shorts in a couple of episodes, but for me, they are either hit or miss. There is a short that explains the absence of characters like "Buttons and Mindy" and "Slappy the Squirrel", and it's done in a pretty funny way that almost shocked me as well, though I'm kinda hoping that there will be future seasons where all those segments come back.

One little nitpick for me is that the opening changed the line from "Dot is cute" to "Dot has wit", which is kinda weird since there was nothing wrong with the original line since it was part of Dot's character, unless the executives thought it was too sexist or something. Even more weird is that aspect of Dot's character wasn't dropped because there are two episodes that focused on Dot worrying about her cuteness. They also seem to be pushing for Dot to be the most focused and leader of the three, which was a role Yakko had in the original since he's the oldest. That kinda bothers me, I guess cuz Yakko is my favorite of the Warners.

That's all I got, so I say if you enjoyed the original series, I think you'll definitely enjoy the reboot as well.