• Advertisement

Animaniacs is getting the reboot bug as well

Joe Biden

http://www.avclub.com/article/steven-spielberg-teams-warner-bros-animaniacs-rebo-256037

In addition to all of his upcoming Peter Jackson collaborations, Steven Spielberg has found the time to return to his beloved animated series, Animaniacs. According to Indiewire, the mega-director and producer, who developed the show on the heels of Tiny Toons Adventures, is reteaming with Warner Bros. to bring back the Warner brothers and Warner sister.

Just last year, Animaniacs joined Netflix’s streaming options, and the core voice cast—Rob Paulsen, Jess Harnell, and MacNeille—announced a tour. Spielberg’s Amblin Television is behind the reboot, which has yet to land a network, but should generate tons of interest once that search begins in earnest. The popular cartoon featured the voices of such golden-voiced individuals as Tress MacNeille and Maurice LaMarche, and scored multiple Daytime Emmys in its original run. So better start working on your state capitals again.

Eh, since I know that Spielberg is involved, I have a little bit of hope for this.

• Like 3

I'm hoping they bring back Skippy and Slappy, the Goodfeathers, Chicken Boo, Flavio and Marita, Pinky and the Brain, and the Wheel of Morality, for the ROFL factor! :hysterical: (I'm also really hoping the "Animaniacs" themselves get to have parents in the re-boot, fingers crossed!) :D

• Like 1

Never watched the original, though apparently I have a lot to catch up to (99 episodes!). Would probably be a good idea to watch some of it before this reboot to compare the two. Otherwise, I hope fans of the original will be happy with this one.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, SBManiac said:

Never watched the original, though apparently I have a lot to catch up to (99 episodes!). Would probably be a good idea to watch some of it before this reboot to compare the two. Otherwise, I hope fans of the original will be happy with this one.

My sentiments exactly.

8 hours ago, Bryan Errin said:

Taking another L

Nah you're taking an L because you can't accept people with different opinions (smirk) 

I only recall seeing a few episodes of the original as a kid but I liked it. I know how iffy reboots can be but if this translates well into the current era, maybe I'll check it out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mermaid Man said:

Nah you're taking an L because you can't accept people with different opinions (smirk) 

We have no information about the series, so it's safe to assume terminoob is just writing this off because of how other unrelated projects turned out.

When the original creator is back, things usually go well. If terminoob declines the show after actually learning more about it, that's fine and rational.

8 minutes ago, Bryan Errin said:

We have no information about the series, so it's safe to assume terminoob is just writing this off because of how other unrelated projects turned out.

When the original creator is back, things usually go well. If terminoob declines the show after actually learning more about it, that's fine and rational.

he just said he's not interested on this. He never claimed that this is gonna suck or not.

2 hours ago, Bryan Errin said:

Hi. terminoob here.

I thought the show had had too many uninteresting/downright annoying segments and characters, I don't think they'll be able to be as biting as they were in the 90s (unless they get picked up by FXX or HBO or something, but, like, the original worked as both a show for kids and a show for adults so if they get picked up by a network primarily watched by adults I think they'd just be neglecting a good portion of their prospective audience and would maybe just go too far in the innuendos and entendres and whatnots and lose sight of any kind of substance), I think Spielberg is wasting his time and energy when he could be making original content, I don't think original creators have anything to do with how well a reboot works (Futurama was aggressively average, MST3K isn't working for me), I don't understand the need to brand this as a "reboot" because they could just as easily say they're just making new episodes, unless they're planning on restructuring how the show functions in which case it's going to disappoint people expecting the same exact thing as before, I think the show is going to lose a lot of charm because there's zero chance they're going with the same look as before and they'll probably be animated on Flash in a cutesy-looking style like the new Ducktales show/Mickey Mouse shorts, or it'll try to be trendy and go with the popular Rebecca Sugar-esque style of drawing and animating.

If people are allowed to be excited and blindly optimistic about two paragraphs of information, I'm allowed to be skeptical based on current trends of what's going on and my opinion of the quality of the original show based on the same exact two paragraphs of information.

Maybe the show will prove me wrong, maybe the show will prove everyone else wrong. Who knows. I'm very... uh... what's the word... It's on the tip of my tongue... Oh, yeah! Uninterested.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, terminoob said:

Hi. terminoob here.

I thought the show had had too many uninteresting/downright annoying segments and characters, I don't think they'll be able to be as biting as they were in the 90s (unless they get picked up by FXX or HBO or something, but, like, the original worked as both a show for kids and a show for adults so if they get picked up by a network primarily watched by adults I think they'd just be neglecting a good portion of their prospective audience and would maybe just go too far in the innuendos and entendres and whatnots and lose sight of any kind of substance), I think Spielberg is wasting his time and energy when he could be making original content, I don't think original creators have anything to do with how well a reboot works (Futurama was aggressively average, MST3K isn't working for me), I don't understand the need to brand this as a "reboot" because they could just as easily say they're just making new episodes, unless they're planning on restructuring how the show functions in which case it's going to disappoint people expecting the same exact thing as before, I think the show is going to lose a lot of charm because there's zero chance they're going with the same look as before and they'll probably be animated on Flash in a cutesy-looking style like the new Ducktales show/Mickey Mouse shorts, or it'll try to be trendy and go with the popular Rebecca Sugar-esque style of drawing and animating.

If people are allowed to be excited and blindly optimistic about two paragraphs of information, I'm allowed to be skeptical based on current trends of what's going on and my opinion of the quality of the original show based on the same exact two paragraphs of information.

Maybe the show will prove me wrong, maybe the show will prove everyone else wrong. Who knows. I'm very... uh... what's the word... It's on the tip of my tongue... Oh, yeah! Uninterested.

• Like 1