• Advertisement

Draft for a SpongeBob Comic - "The Plastic Bag"

Well, my school is having a contest in order to encourage people to use reusable canvas bags in favor of disposable plastic ones, whether serious or silly. And then I remembered The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, a result of 38 millions pieces of plastic waste being drawn by currents to form a landmass the size of Australia, which is completely devastating. Yet, what better way to make that silly than use SpongeBob to represent it! So, I imagined that the Garbage Patch came as a storm, with the plastic trapping SpongeBob and Squidward, and causing complete chaos before Sandy comes in to save them, explain the situation, and educating the public about alternatives to plastic.

I've created the script and all the drawings and wanted to give you a preview of the final result. I tired to best keep the cartoonish style of the main show with the expressions and models.

Yet, I'm only just a beginner in digital ink, and I'd love it if one of you could help me with updating these outlines. I'd be thankful.

“The Plastic Bag”

SpongeBob: (Walks out of his pineapple, puts Krusty Krab Hat on) Bye Gary, I’m going to work. Because I’m Ready—(gets cut off by plastic bag trapping his forehead) Aaaaahhhhh!!!!!

(from distance) Squidward! Help! I’m trapped! (struggles to get out of the bag)

Squidward: (annoyed, pops out window) SpongeBob! It’s my day off, and I’d like to play my clarinet in peace! Calm down! (begins to play clarinet, bag flies into windpipe and chokes him) What the? (Sees thunderstorm in the distance) Gasp! SpongeBob, do something!

SpongeBob: Good idea, I’d better call Sandy. (runs inside to pick up phone) SANDY! There’s a giant whirlpool of plastic right outside our house and its wreaking hav—

Sandy: Way ahead of you! (pulls SpongeBob’s arm from the phone, into her helicopter)

Next Scene:

Sandy: Golly, this storm is made up of every shopping bag, water bottle and toothbrush that them land critters threw out. (slide, showing map of the actual garbage patch) It’s dang larger than Texas!

It’s choking nearly every living thing in this sea. (SpongeBob leans out to see a clam dying)

SpongeBob: (devastated, crying) Sandy, please tell me you can invent something to same us! A giant laser, or a jellyfish net, or—

Sandy: Can’t do that. It’s gonna take a LONG time to clean up this big varmit. For now, we’ll just need help to keep it from growin’.

(show pictures of alternative solutions for reducing waste, such as canvas bags and reusable water bottles)

RAElUwt.jpg

d7CDxCy.jpg

8Lc8GVn.jpg

X841BPC.jpg

tCT4lRY.jpg

cRvOuaP.jpg

QE4YZEa.jpg

FNS50Ud.jpg

474oHeO.jpg?1

ZtUflde.jpg?1