• Advertisement

064b. Good Neighbors

spongebobiscool

Well actually i'd say the most underrated episode is "The Splinter" which has sorta grown on me, and I now think is an okay episode. 630566.gif

I think The Splinter is underrated, but it's really not funny. I actually find GN funny at some parts.

Is this considered bumping? Well I must speak about this episode so I don't care!

This is an absolutely AWFUL episode. Without a doubt it is my least favorite episode of the entire series, and has been since the very first time I saw it.

First off, there is not a single, even remotely funny part to this episode. There was not a time I even came close to laughing. The few jokes in this episode that I can even point out just fall completely flat.

Secondly, the Squidward abuse. Normally I hate when people complain about it, Squidward is simply the unlucky character, lots of shows have that character. But this time it just went beyond the beyond. He had so much bad stuff happen to him, none of it funny, to the point of udder annoyance. Take a good episode like The Camping Episode, there's lots of Squid abuse, but it's hillarious and actually has a bit of a point. This one though? It just felt like the writer hated him and spent every second trying to make him suffer.

Thirdly, it's just plain wierd. Now for the most part the episode stays tame, until the end. The his house starts going around destroying the city? WTF? SpongeBob usually isn't that wierd of a show, it feels totally out of place.

Lastly, it's just a very unlikeable episode. Obviously there's what happens to Squidward, he just wants a nice relaxing day that is totally tarnished, and ridiculous thing happen that get him in trouble. Yet in another sense I almost feel bad for SpongeBob and Patrick, they do have good intents and it's sad to see everything they try to do nice get bashed upon. What they do obviously annoys him to death, but they WERE trying to be nice, and it's a little sad what they think is good actually hurts him. Maybe this last part doesn't make sense to some people, but I understand it, and it's just another thing that makes this episode depressing.

Simply awful in every way possible. 0/10

OMG I LOVE THIS EPISODE! It's awesome. It is one of the best Spongebob episodes in my opinion. It could not be any better than it already is. It went along perfectly with Skill Crane. It was fresh and felt like it could be a classic from seasons 1-3. I loved the continuation of Spongebob and Patrick bothering Squidward and ruining his day. I loved how he bought the intruder machine.

My favorite part of this episode was when the machine did not recognize Spongebob and Patrick as a threat, and Squidward went "oh you infertile contraption! im gonna shift you back to the no good place you came from" (or something along those lines) and then kicks it and the machine then sees Squidward as a threat and goes THREAT DETECTED. COAT RED. COAT RED and the house starts to shake and he goes RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! but Spongebob and Patrick liked it. I LAUGHED OUT LOUD SO HARD. A decent episode that is sure to be enjoyed by any Spongebob fan without a doubt in my mind.

I too was bothered too much by the Squidward abuse. It did make it somewhat uncomfortable, but not too much where it becomes unwatchable. I mean come on, Squidward abuse. That's a big part of what this show is all about guys.

Such an underappreciated episode. I may be speaking only for myself, but Squidward abuse is not a reason to dislike an episode this passionately. Eh, that's just my opinion.

6.5/10

Y'know, this episode actually is not that bad. I mean, as far as Squidward abuse goes, this is pretty tame. He's not getting mauled by sea bears, blown up by exploding pies, or the like. Was he even PHYSICALLY abused once? If he was, I can't remember it. But still, it wasn't that funny, so I can't give it a higher grade than 5/10.

I'm not going to do an "out of 10" review here, rather a lengthly explanation on my overall thoughts of this episode:

One of only three episodes written by early season 4 writer Mike Bell, and his only solo episode.

Ok, there's a lot to say about this one. It really seems like the original intention here brought on by the staff was to kind of bring back the vibe of simple, silly episodes dealing with happy go lucky pals Spongebob and Patrick, as their harmless hi-jinks unintentionally intrude upon Squidward's current "project", be it music or painting, or whatever. This has been part of the show since Naughty Nautical Neighbors. Unfortunately, Mike Bell doesn't capture that here. At all. First of all, I imagine any true fan of SB knows that you don't root for Spongebob and Patrick, and boo Squidward. Though he was often frustrated with their daily absurdity, he sometimes joined in, and often, would get his moments in the sun, so to speak. Here, he suffers a completely unfair mental pummelling. There is no real perspective here for any character. No two ways to look at it. It's black and white, and it's downright cruel. It's certainly easy to see with Spongebob and Patrick's newfound brainless behavior, that which are caricatures of their former selves, why Squidward no longer can even entertain the idea of joining them in whatever they are doing. Squidward can find no solace in this madness, no way, no how. If he joined the fun of pre-movie Bob and Pat, he'd often find a piece of excited fun he tends to forget he's missing. Just look at "Squidville" or my God, "Band Geeks". Now, hypothetically, if he joined the insanity of post-movie Bob and Pat, he'd probably go insane. There's no fun to be had in the mindless activities of Bob and Pat anymore. It's weird, but it's moreso scary.

This episode was a massive red flag for the series, and very sadly, a precursor to much more abuse to poor ol' Squidward. It happens to alot of shows. They forget who they are. This was the beginning of that. Now I'm just waiting for it to end.

• Like 4

THIS IS THE SINGLE MOST UNDERRATED EPISODE EVER! SQUID ABUSE BARELY GOES FAR, THERE IS HARDLY ANY IN THIS EPISODE! I admit the jokes are not funny mostly, but I cant help laughing at some parts. WHY AM I ONE OF THE ONLY ONES WHO LIKE THIS MASTERPIECE!??!

Members of the people who liked this episode, you've got a new member right here.

While I agree, it's not one of Season 4's best, but this is Squidward Abuse I can happily watch.

In fact, this is more of a Squidward being ticked the *dolphin noice* off episode.

Plus, I think this was one of the first SpongeBob episodes I watched (I definaly remember As Seen on TV being my first episode, but it was one of the episodes I watched when I was young, although all I could remember from that episode from that time, was both scenes where the foot massager massages SpongeBob and Patrick's feet, and the scene where Squidward's house comes to life).

So in my opinion, While maybe it does contain stuff I hate seeing in an episode, It's still something I can enjoy whenever it's on.

7.2/10

• Like 1