• Advertisement

So, Season 9. Overall thoughts?

Jjs Goodman

How would you grade this season overall?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Season Grade

• A (9-10)
    • B (7-8)
    • C (5-6)
    • D (3-4)
    • F (1-2)

So since Season 9 only has literally one episode left (Goodbye Krabby Patty), I figured this is a good time to ask what your thoughts of the season overall are. 

For me personally, I don't think it was the second coming of S1-S3 like some people made it out to be, but it wasn't bad overall. 9A was kind of mixed for me. Some good parts, some really bad parts, and some just meh. 9B was better than 9A to me, but not without its flaws. I feel pacing has been a major issue through the season in general, and some episodes can kind of drag due to it. There's been no outright S6/S7-esque bad episodes, but there have been episodes I'm still not a fan of (Company Picnic, The Fishbowl, Sanctuary, Food Con Castaways, etc). I appreciated the new things they did try even if some of those experiments didn't work out well. It was also cool to have people like Kaz and Kyle back after so long, along with new writers such as Jack and Clare. I can see why some people might not have been a fan of the season though, since it's by no means perfect I'd say. Hopefully Seasons 10 and 11 can work out the problems from this season, and made what work even better.

Edited by jjsthekid

It was good.

Not as much as it should have been tho. Season 9A still had some blandiness of post-movie as a whole and it had 3 episodes that are some of the worst SpongeBob episodes ever and season 9B suffered from pacing issues and lack of strong dialogue humor (I can say same for post-movie too but the fact that it has been more noticable for me in new episodes is scary.) but other than those, I do think there has been a good imporvement. Especially in season 9B and here's why for me. There have been more unused and cool ideas in season 9B than season 9A. Really, the only episodew I can say it's similar to an older episode are Lost in Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob LongPants and perhaps Factory Fresh (judging by the premise, ofc I haven't seen the episode. Plus the new title isn't good.). Rest feel just different from any other episodes in season 1-9A. Characters we criticized so much in post-movie have been more to their old selves for sure. SpongeBob is loveable goofball again, Squidward has been less jerk and more crazy (I know some aren't happy with this but for the most part, I'm ok with this), Mr. Krabs isn't all just money and Patrick has been less jerk. Although Patrick is still not funny for me. The writers still try so hard to make Patrick really funny but It doesn't work for me that much but still in season 9B he has shown good characterizations. I definitely enjoyed him in What's Eating Patrick and Bulettin Board. Plankton, Karen and Sandy are still same, so I can't say much about them that much, except for that I did love Karen and Sandy team up in Salsa Imbecilicus. Episodes have been more entertaining. I definitely enjoyed the fast pacing and facial expressions in season 9B. I still wanna praise some of season 9A for being better than most other episodes in season 6-8. Plankton's Pet, Eek An Urchin, Patrick-Man, Safe Deposit Krabs, License to Milkshake and Extreme Spots (that is kind of an unpopular opinion but I did love that episode tbh) are gems of season 9A for me. As for season 9B, I definitely loved Pull Up A Barrel, What's Eating Patrick, The Sewers of Bikini Bottom, Mall Girl Pearl, Married to Money, Sharks vs Pods, CopyBob DittoPants, Bulletin Board and Pineapple Invasion the most. I'll say season 9 as a whole was so good. It's not gonna win over all SpongeBob fans for sure. It still had flaws and It's definitely not an amazing TV experience like the show used to be but I really enjoyed most of the episodes. Lets hope that season 10 and 11 will improve. I also hope Factory Fresh will be so good.

Grade: B+