• Advertisement

Lucid Dreaming

Cha

T4DMLmC.gif

So lately I've been "kinda" obsessed with this and even told a few family members/ppl here. :P Although I've figured out I've been in a dream on rare occasions, lately I've been trying to master lucid dreaming. Why? Because as an artist and a frequent daydreamer I just think that being able to control them would be the next step to a more awesome level of imagination. Plus it gives me story/drawing ideas and it makes you feel like you're watching a full screen movie.

A few nights ago I tried the finger test, I kept counting my fingers while I was awake and eventually that night I had a dream counting them when things started to feel unordinary. By doing this I realize that something was wrong with my fingers and I must be dreaming. But the problem was as I tried to control what I dreamed about next, my subconscious would use the people around me to get angry. Even though I realized I can be good at simmering down arguments, I didn't take an enough assertive approach and wound up forgetting I was dreaming. 

Ok so last night I finally had a dream I could control. I forgot how I found out it was a dream, but I started to build my environment in it literally. I wanted to be in a city, so my mind made up a city for myself. But I didn't like the design, so I kept changing it even though my subconscious was slowly trying to distract me. I even had a dream my dad tried to wake me up because it was late in the afternoon, but I said 'screw it,' I'm going back to bed and keep dreaming anyways. Finally I got a city that represented what I wanted, I got the character I wanted to be in that situation and I even got to design a few more things in my head. It was so weird, like drawing but whatever I wanted in my mind popped up before me. I knew I was creating a world, but at the same time I was glad I wasn't FULLY aware it was all fake. 

I am hoping that my next dream will be fully lucid and I can control/imagine it all without my subconscious trying to take over again. Once I master control over it, I think I can lucid on regular.

• Like 3

I've been able to achieve lucid dreaming twice (maybe three times) before, when I was 14 (after looking up a great tip on how to accomplish it). I haven't had any more lucid dreams since that year, but perhaps because I lost interest in actively trying to :P .

Lucid dreaming is a really fascinating topic, I've heard many things about it but never really tried it myself. I heard astral projection can be achieved in a lucid dream, perhaps you should try out if it works. As for me, I rarely dream but when I do dream its usually about strange things that I read online and stuff. Would be nice to experience a lucid dream but I don't want to venture into the unknown like that.

20 minutes ago, crushingmayhem said:

Lucid dreaming is a really fascinating topic, I've heard many things about it but never really tried it myself. I heard astral projection can be achieved in a lucid dream, perhaps you should try out if it works. As for me, I rarely dream but when I do dream its usually about strange things that I read online and stuff. Would be nice to experience a lucid dream but I don't want to venture into the unknown like that.

Meh, it's really not all that scary. The worst part for me was that the "control" usually didn't last that long.

I've never had a lucid dream, but I have had lucid nightmares in the past. Those are honestly the worst, because you're aware that you're in a nightmare and want to wake up ASAP. (Also you can't control anything that happens.) I think I'll attempt lucid dreaming one day though.

1 hour ago, teenj12 said:

Meh, it's really not all that scary. The worst part for me was that the "control" usually didn't last that long.

I've heard there's the side effect of sleep paralysis, which I experience like 7 years ago and it was a very frightening experience at the time. But I'm sure not everyone gets it.

3 minutes ago, Cha said:

I've heard there's the side effect of sleep paralysis, which I experience like 7 years ago and it was a very frightening experience at the time. But I'm sure not everyone gets it.

I didn't know that, actually. I've gotten sleep paralysis before too (which is very frightening), but not from lucid dreaming.

2 hours ago, Cha said:

OH MY GOD I OFTEN HAVE SLEEP PARALYSIS WITHOUT EVEN TRYING TO LUCID DREAM O_O

this topic is pretty interesting to be talked about. I'd love to control my dreams tbh cuz often I just forgot how great they were or I don't have dreams at all or I remember the most disturbing and sick ones (not nightmares, morally wrong dreams). I actually heard of this first in American Dad episode when Steve used a red ball to realize he's in a dream, so with that way, he can control his dreams. It was pretty funny. Maybe it's possible you can choose an object to realize you are in a dream. Although now knowing the side effects of this being sleep paralysis, not entirely sure if I want to have lucid dreams cuz I already have sleep paralysis and it's worse than nightmares if you ask me.

11 hours ago, Sandy said:

I've never had a lucid dream, but I have had lucid nightmares in the past. Those are honestly the worst, because you're aware that you're in a nightmare and want to wake up ASAP. (Also you can't control anything that happens.) I think I'll attempt lucid dreaming one day though.

That's happened to me before and they're awful.

Lucid dreaming seems pretty cool though.