• Advertisement

Despicable Me 3

jdfr03

45 minutes ago, NegiSpongie said:

This trailer I think shows a bit more of what the plot it. And I really think this was funnier than the last one. Kinda interesting about Gru having a twin brother, and best of all, still less minions.

Now that.  That was a good trailer.  I was going to see the third movie either way, but I was waiting for a more clear direction from the trailers and this one gave us just that.

I wonder how Balthazar Bratt is going to get interconnected with Gru/Dru's story.  Can't wait to find out.

23 hours ago, Clappy said:

Now that.  That was a good trailer.  I was going to see the third movie either way, but I was waiting for a more clear direction from the trailers and this one gave us just that.

I wonder how Balthazar Bratt is going to get interconnected with Gru/Dru's story.  Can't wait to find out.

Totally opposite opinion of you. Really really loved the first trailer and was ready to see it based on just that, was really let down by this second one and kinda don't want to see it. I'm not into the idea of Dru at all.

To me this looks legit bad. It looks worse than the first 2. I mean it does look better than Minions so...

I mean the reviews are on par with the first and second one so maybe i shouldn't be worried.

Got to say this was probably the last one of these I'll end up seeing.  Not saying this was a terrible movie by any means, but these movies just lost what made the first one, hell even the second one so good to me.  And if you haven't seen what I already said on other threads, this movie just had no heart or made me feel any real connection.  It was just constantly trying to go for laughs and yeah I laughed my fair share. But this just felt rushed, phoned in, and left me thinking that they just don't know what to do with these movies anymore plot wise.

I read from a blogger on one of my favorite film sites that the Despicable Me movies are starting to heavily resemble the Shrek series in terms of quality control...and yeah, I got nothing else to top that because that is incredibly accurate to what I'm feeling about these movies now.  I never felt like there was an outright terrible Shrek movie just like I feel like there is no outright terrible Despicable Me or Minion movie.  But the third and fourth of the Shrek movie franchise definitely felt like it only existed to make money off of merchandising while the movies left me feeling like it was a phoned in product.  Despicable Me 3 was definitely that, even though I didn't hate it.

• Like 1

Before I went into the movie, I thought Dru was meant to be the big bad who was just manipulating his brother. Instead he turned out to be a spaz in over his head that Gru needed to save, and then by the end of the film, his friendly rival. Which, while not groundbreaking, gives Gru some sort of family connection.

The subplots with the kids went nowhere we needed. Other than I guess being happy with the goat was a good message.

They at least tried to develop the relationship between the kids and Stacy to give some emotional resonance.

Our villain was semi-entertaining. I don't remember the other villains before him, so I don't know if I'm right to call him the best of the track record.

Minions didn't impede too much, with their American Idol debut and prison antics. Bit forced for them to all storm out at the beginning, but them being assholes is in character.

Overall it was a swirl of a few too many half-baked ideas to get to the bare minimum of running time. But I somehow didn't loathe it. No 4th, leave Gru's story here since you're going to make more than 3 Minions movies anyway.