• Advertisement

Crash Bandicoot™ N-Sane Trilogy

JacobLeBeauREAL

Picked up the Switch release while on vacation and beat Crash 1 in about 3 days. Game surprised the hell out of me by being way harder than I thought it would be, and I've heard that the original version is even harder. Playing through Cortex Strikes Back and having a blast with it, these really were amazing games. The levels and bosses ooze with creativity and charm, as well as the cartoony graphics.

• Like 1

I just beat Crash Bandicoot: Warped, meaning I beat the first 3 Crash Bandicoot games. I would love to share my thoughts-

Crash Bandicoot- A great game, but it's definitely my least favorite of the three, which is excusable because the series was finding it's identity. The main thing to note about this game is it's difficulty. This is probably one of the hardest games I have ever played. The first couple levels aren't too hard but when Native Fortress comes around, boy are you in for some rage. Levels like Lights Out, Slippery Climb, Road to Nowhere, Sunset Vista, THE HIGH ROAD...... jesus. I do love games that can make me rage like a whiny punk ass 15 year old playing Call of Duty, but I think it gets a little cheap in some areas. It's all precision for the most part; you have to absolutely master your skills in this game because the windows to make jumps in the later levels have to be absolutely perfect and for so many of them the windows of time to perform them are at least like half a second. Enough about the difficulty, this game introduced many Crash staples such as his cartoonish design, the natural environments that gave these games their charm, and of course, the difficulty of these games. An unpopular opinion is that I actually really enjoy the bosses in not just all Crash games, but this one in particular. I think Crash 1 has the best bosses in the series. Of course Papu Papu is pathetically easy, but I had a lot of fun with some of the other bosses. Pinstripe Potoroo is my definite favorite. This game gets a 4/5 from me.

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back- I'll be blunt, this is my absolute favorite of all the Crash games. There's just not much wrong with this game at all. The difficulty is toned down perfectly in the way that it's still difficult, but it's not so hard that it becomes a hurdle in wanting to play the game, and it still requires you to master your precision platforming and reflex skills like Crash 1 which I loved. The levels return to the natural environments of Crash 1, but with a lot more variety in the environments. There are also some brand new things Crash and Coco can ride, such as a baby polar bear and the jetboard, which I all really did enjoy. Bosses aren't as good as Crash 1's, but still fun. I also absolutely love Neo Cortex in this game, his personality and portrayal are spot-on. Neo Cortex is his absolute best when he's this big-headed (literally), manipulative, almost Sideshow Bob-esque in his speech patterns villain, and every time he shows up in the hologram I just get a huge smile on my fan. Same with Coco (which I know was an N. Sane addition), who's honestly just completely adorable. I do have some problems with this game though, which are the two jet pack levels. Even with the inverted controls I really found the jet pack controls super awkward, and of course, there's the pitifully easy and anti-climactic final boss, but those two things are really the only things I don't like about these games. This game is a near-perfect game from the unfortunately, kind of extinct genre of 3D platformers. 5/5

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped- I don't enjoy this one as much as Crash 2, but man, it's still a great game. I have two main problems with this game but they're so excusable, and that's the fact that the shift from mostly natural environments to pretty much exclusively more outlandish environments was really awkward (I don't mind the developers going for more outlandish environments but a mix of more natural environments would have been nice. I know they were all back in time but they really didn't feel too natural at all. Of course Crash shouldn't be completely realistic, it's a game about a fucking mutant bandicoot wearing jean shorts and tennis shoes trying to stop a guy with a huge head from taking over the world with his army of genetically mutated animals), and also I felt like the variety was kind of too much. I didn't mind the Coco water levels too much as well as the two tiger ones, but I really was not crazy about the motorcycle levels or the plane ones. However, I didn't hate them that much, and they're all there for a reason, and that is to provide variety from normal jumping and spinning Crash. Bosses were alright this time around, at least the final boss here while far from amazing was above Crash 2's absolutely pathetic final fight. I guess that's really it, this game deserves another 5/5 from me.

• Like 1