• Advertisement

061a. Fear of a Krabby Patty

70s

Do the episodes have production codes? That could well debunk the stupid theory about this being a Season 3 holdover (or verify...).

Indeed, the episode does contain a lot of the earlier, wackier humor that dissolved as time went by. It is not my favorite by a tremendous shot, but a good effort from the crew. The animation was spectacular, nevertheless.

Grade: B

I really don't get the hate for Season 4. It's going extinct (Season 3's hate already has), but it's still notable. Fear of a Krabby Patty, from what I believed, used to be very controversial, but I'm sure most of us can now say it's a good episode easily. And I agree. It's one of my favorites from Season 4. 

The episode just gets me laughing like any other great episode. My favorite gag was easily the piano, but there were still plenty, like the whole "SpongeBob wants the place open earlier" thing or "I WANT TO LIVE!!!". Some may say it rips off Graveyard Shift or Welcome to the Chum Bucket or a few others, but as long as the episode itself has enough original and funny material to cover it and not leave me thinking that. It's nice and memorable, and because it was the revival of the show, it lets us know that SpogeBob is here to stay. Bu maybe it's overstayed it's welcome.   <_<

Overall, it's my 25th favorite episode of the series. 10/10

• Like 1

What seems to be lost in the shuffle of all the hate for S4 (some of it deserved, some of it not) is that it actually started off pretty well. This isn't one of the best episodes of the series, but it's still quite good. It has some of the elements that made earlier episodes great, and some slick new animation, plus an amusing part for Plankton. I enjoyed the cut to Squidward's zombie-like face and bags under his bags, as well as Spongebob pulling out a piano from out of nowhere. The plot is decent, though it does recycle material from Graveyard Shift (most notably), as well as other episodes. It also paves the way for some of the problems that would plague the show later on (an overuse of Plankton plots, Mr. Krabs being an irredeemable, unlikable jerk) though there's nothing too bad here. The payoff, with the giant Krabby Patty talking to Spongebob in his dream, doesn't feel as funny as it should be. A decent start for S4, though, which was probably enough to give people hope that good things were in store for the series after the movie and hiatus...

Score: 7/10

• Like 1