• Advertisement

Power Rangers

Clappy

This has the potential to be so bad.  The trailer itself is like a dark gloomy version of The Breakfast Club meets Chronicle, but oh my god I am so excited for this just on pure nostalgia.  Bryan Cranston as Zordon?  Bill Hader as Alpha 5?  Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa...granted a sexier version, but still count me in for a turn off your brain popcorn flick.

*this bump is brought to you by Krispy Kreme*

So this movie was actually much better than I initially anticipated.  The biggest surprise 2017 movie I've seen so far.

The best part was the characters.  Everyone was great.  The chemistry between the main 5 was supremely believable and each and every one of them was good to great (Billy the Blue Ranger being the best).  I got attached to each of them and hell I actually teared up a bit during a spoiler scene.  Zordon was great and according to the internet, Cranston had ties to this franchise prior to this movie going way back to the 90s, which is news to me.  I'm probably in the minority who wasn't annoyed by Alpha 5 and Elizabeth Banks roller coaster of characterization that was Rita because both of them were always like that all the way from the original source material.  So yeah great characters go a LONG way for me.

However, those flaws though.  As much as the writing got the characters right, the script did itself no favors elsewhere.  That dialogue was VERY lame from how they interacted at times all the way to the attempts at humor (spoiler, a bull's dick).  I wish for how well they got the actors and director right, they get new screenwriters if we are getting a legit movie franchise out of this.  Also...and I totally get that this is an origin story...but why the fuck were the Power Rangers only in their suits for less than 5% of the movie?  This is a POWER RANGERS movie!  I wanted so much more of them in their suits than what we got.  Hell we saw more of that CGI monstrosity that was suppose to be Goldar than the actual suited up Power Freaking Rangers.

Overall, not a great movie with it's concerning flaws, but I still recommend this a lot.  It's turn off your brain fun that highly entertained me.  I'll gladly stick up for this and getting more sequels because I liked what I saw.  Just needs a bit of fine tuning, but still a solid 6/10.  Worth checking out.

*Also please no more over the top product placement.  The Krispy Kreme promoting was so over the top annoying that this has to be in the top ten of the most annoying examples of this yet.