• Advertisement

Lion King is getting a live action re-make

BenPaz

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, but we got a trailer:

I'm not going to lie. I'm already sold on this. As much as I speak for everyone who is annoyed with Disney's plethora of live-action remakes of their own animated films, I've gotta say color me impressed, at least based on what I've seen so far. Right now, I'm just hoping that Disney has truly shown a lot more love and care towards the original film in making this one so I wouldn't end up changing my mind.

Edited by Steel Sponge

Thanks, I hate it. I don't care how nice CGI looks, this remake looks absolutely pointless. What live-action about it, besides backgrounds? Why it's considered live-action while Dinosaurs is almost the same thing, but considered a part of Disney's animated canon?

This movie has no reason to exist besides bringing Disney more money. ?

• Sad 1

The scenery looks GORGEOUS!!!! :cool: Sure, it's probably a SHAMELESS money grab, but with a movie as good as "The Lion King" is, does ANYONE REALLY care?! :rolleyes: Probably not. As long as the acting and the story is good, that's all that really matters to me! :hysterical: Definitely add THIS movie to the list of movies I want to watch in 2019! :D

• Sad 3

Okay I really need to get something out of my system when it comes to this movie.  Because, spoiler alert, this has an incredibly good shot at making my worst list for this year.  But I’ve been thinking about how awful this was for nearly two weeks that I need to say something.  Much longer than I did for Aladdin a few months ago.  Maybe it’s because 1994 Lion King is one of my all time favorite movies.  I’m leaving a lot of complaints out because I can complain about the CGI photorealistic animals another day or how soulless one of their most soulful animated movies turned out to be in live action and so much more come year end time.  I need to save plenty of material for then.

Most of you should know by now that my previous defenses for the live action trend Disney has been on is that at least they are trying new things.  Well with these last few adaptations in particular, that has proven to be a big fat lie.  I popped in 1994 Lion King after first seeing the 2019 shitfest and this was practically a shot for shot, line for line remake.  Changing maybe a few small things here and there that were so insignificant in the grand scheme of things.  This is a whole new level of laziness that I should apologize to everyone who keeps calling out Disney for being this tediously obvious that this trend is clearly is for financial gains.  Before any of you point out that 1994 Lion King is so perfect that they were playing it safe by not changing anything, you’re flat out wrong.  2017 Beauty and the Beast played it safe too but at least they tried to add some additional elements to the story about Belle’s mom.  2019 Lion King is so bad that it has me complimenting 2017 Beauty and the Beast, which is also bad.

The only net positive I can give this movie is that Timon and Pumba at least give the movie some life and charisma that this movie sorely needed.  The same way Will Smith’s Genie did to Aladdin.  But the major difference between the former and latter is Will Smith brings life to a movie sorely needing additional charismatic actors.  The voice cast in The Lion King has so much talented involved with it that it’s embarrassing how much Donald Glover, Beyoncé, Chiwetel Ejifor, Alfre Woodard, and James Earl Jones clearly don’t give a shit that they are involved with this.

Whats worse?  Aladdin or Lion King?  I’m still perplexed because one is a school PTA stage performance levels of awful remake; and the other is the biggest atrociously bad soulless cash grab that Disney has ever committed.  Either way, it’s pick your poison.  These are both terrible movies.  And the Disney live action adaptation trend is awful.  I’m sorry I ever defended it if this is what it has come down to.