• Advertisement

The Simpsons

70s

2 hours ago, Prince of the Netherworld said:

Honestly they should just end The Simpsons instead.  I’ve made my point loud and clear for years now about how I (as well as many) feel, even on The Problem With Apu controversy.  But this move in particular, just awful.  If you’re going to get rid of one character because of “cultural insensitivity”, then get rid of Groundskeeper Willie and Bumblebee Man too.  Stupid move.

And Fat Tony..... and Cletus.... I could go on. 

It's a common argument but yeah, this is a show centered around caricatures as Springfield is supposed to be Anytown, USA. Also I believe that so much has been added to Apu over the years to distinguish him from a simple stereotype to a fleshed out character, and also compared to most people in Springfield Apu's got his shit together. The point does stand of a white man voicing an Indian man though, but I definitely think this was not the right choice. End the show or keep Apu. The show has lost a huge chunk of it and it's been a zombie for years and years and fucking years. I can't imagine the show is doing too hot in ratings either. It's been said again and again but put this show out of it's goddamn misery. Even though it won't happen, a man can dream, I guess.

Apu controversy has been nothing but crap and the show handled it even worse. The show's supporting characters have stereotypes. Willie, Bumblebee, Flanders, Krusty and Fat Tony and they made episodes about austalians, gays and more stereoypes along the way. Then get rid of them as well If you care about stereotyping badness. Idk why this is suddenly relevant now considering they never bothered talking about it almost 30 years ago. FOX should just stop bothering with the show (and Family Guy). It already has many many many merchandises to sell and it no longer has to rely on TV show to get money. Cast and crew getting older and I bet that's tiring them as well. I hate seeing ths kind of pain in this great show.

lmao so instead of actually going to make the slightest effort to address the apu problem they just *poof* him from the show

y'know, they'd probably manage to make a decent ratings episode and some attention for once if they actually scripted something like this, too

Edited by Burgerpants