• Advertisement

What do you think of Seasons 4-9?

Seymour Skinner

They are in my opinion, inferior to 1-3, but they still have some good episodes in the mix (first half of S4 is essentially good as pre-movie) I'm also glad it paved the way for Season 9.2 and a new era of SpongeBob.

Season 4 is okay. When I looked back on it

SELF PROMOTION: 

I'm on a current re-watch where I will eventually watch 5-8 again. So my opinions are pending. But for now

Season 5-6: They're okay

7-8: The real dark age. Especially 8. 8 is the most unmemorable season in the series. I barely remember the eppys.  

What do you think of America from 1776 to 2016

a multifaceted question that can't really be answered without breaking things down into multiple eras as everyone else in this thread has done, so. 

The first half of Season 4 is still some of the best material the show has come up with, to me. Minus a few downward trending signs, like Good Neighbors and Funny Pants, it's great stuff.

The second half is more uneven and not as good. Animation and stuff is still fun, but the writing is starting to not cut it. 

Season 5 hits a peak the show will probably never reach again at the start, and tumbles downward quickly over the course of 20 half hours, occasionally hitting fever pitches of funny stuff (you still can't tell me Banned In Bikini Bottom or Patty Gadget aren't funny) but with worsening animation, plots,  and characters coming alongside it, it's easy to forget about the gems here.

We all know that Season 6 is where everything died. 

The extended part of Season 6, with Toy Store of Doom and Pineapple Fever (Clappy can still fight me about this one if he wants) is a little better.

Season 7 is basically Season 6's deformed little cousin, with a lot of the same vices. The tail end of Season 7 with episodes like New Fish In Town, Enchanted Tiki Dreams, That Sinking Feeling and... Mauna Loa? Krusty Dogs? Tunnel of Glove? Idk, one of those. The back half of the season isn't necessarily good, but it seems fresher than usual. 

Season 8, while not as good as we all proclaimed it to be in 2011-2012, was still a very positive upturn in quality and animation, although it was still stale at points. A lot of nostalgia will probably always elevate this season a bit higher than it deserves, but I do think this is when the gem to dud ratio finally stopped tipping in favor of duds. Plus the characters stopped being trash for the most part, the animation got better, and Aaron Springer decided it'd be cool to write some stuff that wasn't bad for a season, so that was cool. 

Season 9A ended up being too damn ambitious for a season with only two real staff writers and two director teams. Because of this skeleton crew, the show spits out some fantastic eps and some not so fantastic ones. Very uneven season, but I think a full crew really could've made this one of the best seasons ever, honestly. This could've been the season where all the things that made Post-Movie what it is, aligned and actually become great. Instead it kind of fizzles out because there's no one to really carry that out too well. 

No matter how bad it was, You're Fired signifies to me the true end of the Post-Movie era, an unintentional retrospective that is backwards in nature but somehow manages to explain Post-Movie's ups and downs in spades. You're Fired is an ambitious thing, trying to accentuate and continue a legacy by doing something a little different with it, and by and large, it fails at nearly every corner. But in so many ways, it is interesting in how bad it is, and it's very easy to see where it could've gone, and how the team wanted it to turn out, but for some reason or another, it just didn't. It almost, almost works, but can't. But by God, you want it to.

Season 9B with the exception of Fishbowl has been going so smoothly it's almost unfair, although I feel that in coming years it'll probably get the Season 8 treatment. 

As a whole there's no way to give it a rank, a number or really anything else. It's just a bumpy ride. I think if you were to add everything up you'd get a pretty average score, but the post-movie era is so much more than the sum of its parts. So many important things happened during this time, and at the end of the day, although it took 11 years, I think it's finally back on track to going where the show would've gone if there was no movie. And without that 11 years, we wouldn't be here today.

So I'm grateful. It's been a fun time.

• Like 2

Season 4 is pretty good. The season in general isn't quite as good as S1-3 imo, but at the very least, it's watchable and there are a few episodes that stick out to me as being just as good as the average pre-movie episode (in fact, "Have You Seen That Snail?" is probably on my Top 10 episodes of the whole series)

Season 5 is alright. There aren't many episodes that truly stick out to me, but again, it's at least watchable.

Like a lot of people, I don't like Seasons 6 and 7 that much (although there are some alright episodes) and I haven't seen anything from Season 8 onward aside from Sponge Out of Water. Considering I've heard some positive things about Seasons 9 and 10, I should probably give those seasons a chance.

Season 4 is for the most part great!

Season 5 is ok with many not so good episodes but still has some great ones in there

Season 6 is bad with an exception of a few episodes

Season 7 is bad with an exception of a few episodes

Season 8 is pretty mediocre since I don't really remember one episode I loved in the season nor one that I despised

Season 9's first half has a mix of mediocre and bad with an exception of a few pretty good episodes and the second half had many good episodes with some decent or not so good ones mixed in

I should also mention that I hated the very stiff animation of seasons 5-9, season 4 was peak in terms of the show's animation IMO.

Edited by SneakyBoots