• Advertisement

087a. To Love a Patty

Steel Sponge

This.. episode..

Gah.

One of my least favorite episodes in SpongeBob history, next to infamous eps. like The Splinter, Dear Vikings, etc. The plot was just SpongeBob obsessing over a Krabby Patty, and he doesn't even

realize how disgusting and rotten it grows to be (following into one of my LEAST favorite grossout scenes in SpongeBob) until the last minute. The main 10 minutes of this episode revolves around him

just loving over the patty, so much it gets an ENTIRE musical number, which involves more OBSESSING OVER A PATTY plus random, unneeded CLAM SLAUGHTER. He ignores most of his friends JUST

to spend time with Patty, which is REALLY unlike SpongeBob (However, this personality change HAS been shown in other episodes like Waiting, also a terrible episode) and his time with Patty draws out most

of the entire episode. Absolute crap.

Plus, they ACTUALLY released an entire DVD centered around this ONE episode. What the heck, Nick?

Grade: D (Terrible)

• Sad 1

Pretty bad, although I do get a chuckle out of the musical number which I know just had to be intentionally bad. I'm soooooooo sorryyyyyyyy, I'll never let you out of my sight again. And I'll always keep you out of harm's way-ay-ay-aaaaaaay

This proves that at this point in Spongebob time, Nick didn't care what the SB crew cranked out and just wanted money. It was just disgusting and stupid. 

Edited by jjsthekid

In my opnion, this episode is the second most disgusting SpongeBob episode. Yeah, this episode is just HORRIBLE!!! WORST OF SEASON 5 AND ON MY BOTTOM 10!!! First of all, SpongeBob falling in love with a patty idea is just stupid. What the heck the writers were thinking? It makes me think that the writers are running out of ideas. The idea is already stupid and much worse than SpongeBob getting a splinter idea but the execution of this episode is even WORSE!!! This episode was so disgusting, creepy, boring and unfunny. Second of all, SpongeBob crew said SpongeBob is asexual but how he is asexual, If he is in love with a patty. That just makes no sense. Also SpongeBob was OOC in this episode. This episode had no good parts at all, except SpongeBob's smiley face was shown when Squidward said "How could you possibly date anyone? I mean, look at you." to SpongeBob. I chuckled at that part but that is not enough me to give this episode 0.5/10. The song in this episode was okay but the part when SpongeBob killed all of scallops was just awful. The ending was even worse. SpongeBob ate that rotten patty at the end. It's just sick and gross. Overall, I hate this episode a lot and I would tell people to stay far away from this episode. 0/10

This episode is one of the worst, as everyone else says. Why would SpongeBob have this weird patty fetish in the first place? Even SquidPatty (from Just One Bite) was a better shipping than this! I also hate the annoying song highlighting SpongeBob and Patty's relationship, especially the part when SpongeBob slaughters an entire flock of scallops just so he can save his beloved Patty. Eventually, Patty goes moldy and it gets disgusting from there. To wrap things up, it sucks.

Final score: 0/10

• Like 1

This episode segment (along with its partner) is one of the WORST examples of the times that the writers of "Spongebob Squarepants" have SCRAPED the BOTTOM of the barrel in HORRIBLY, mediocre cartoon episode writing! :angry: Granted, it's nowhere NEAR as bad as "Boating Buddies, Good Neighbors," or "A Pal For Gary," but its a FAR cry from ANY of the gems found in seasons 2, 3, or ANYTHING in season 9! :rolleyes: I'd give it a 2.5 out of 10 at BEST! :(

Say what you want but over the years of seeing it so much, I've grown soft to this one.  I've just found this obnoxiously funny like a lot of episodes like That Sinking Feeling, Spy Buddies, Roller Cowards, Night Light, etc. I dunno, the idea of SpongeBob falling in love with a patty of all things is great and hilarious to me. SpongeBob is like the least romantic character whatsoever in the series and just having him actually infatuated is something worth seeing. Of course that scene where he destroyed all those scallops was morbid though considering how much emphasis he put into taking care of Junior and not letting Patrick step on him or whatever else. 

Edited by Cha

The "We Bare Bears" episode "Burrito" taught this episode had potential. Or it just managed to make good execution of a bad plot.

Highlight: Oh Baby

season 5 to love a patty GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Uh oh...

Edited by Jelly Lelly

Rewatched this episode recently, and honestly, this episode is really funny. I mean the gross close ups are awful (were the maggots really necessary?), but everything else is really funny. Like Spongebob literally fell in love with a fucking krabby patty. And he murders a bunch of essentially birds over it. That's fucking hilarious.