• Advertisement

PS4 Pro

Jane

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/07/playstation-meeting-2016-introducing-ps4-pro-and-the-slimmer-lighter-ps4/

Welp, it looks like incremental console upgrades have begun with the PS4 Pro... which is, honestly one of the dumbest decisions Sony has made in recent years (maybe only rivaled by PSP Go)

For one, based on the way Mark Cerny and Andrew House were wording things at the conference, the console is only minutely more powerful and the main gambit is the HDR (which they also mentioned will be patched in for older PS4s, so what's the point???) and better lighting. And it isn't even native 4k, it runs at 1080p and upscales to a higher resolution. Yeah, I don't care if the games they showed off look very slightly better on the Pro and Spider Man's underpants look really damn good in 4k.

I don't get what market this thing is aiming for. The hardcore techie has a top of the line PC, which is far more powerful than this. The average gamer either doesn't care about this or is pissed off about this whole ideal, and the casuals will likely get very confused.

I know this thing seems to be more for media, but it won't ship with a 4k Blu-ray drive and the old PS4 can already stream in 4K and is getting HDR patched in.

Now the slim PS4 actually looks pretty neat. I'd get that if you really want a PS4 and don't care about upscaled 4k and better grains of sand in Uncharted.

I'm pretty, "Eh.", about this too. I just want them to get on with the PS5 already. If they're mimicking what Microsoft did with the XBox One S (slimming down the console), why can't they mimic what they're doing with pushing forward with the Scorpio?

On 9/8/2016 at 1:24 AM, Jane said:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/07/playstation-meeting-2016-introducing-ps4-pro-and-the-slimmer-lighter-ps4/

Welp, it looks like incremental console upgrades have begun with the PS4 Pro... which is, honestly one of the dumbest decisions Sony has made in recent years (maybe only rivaled by PSP Go)

For one, based on the way Mark Cerny and Andrew House were wording things at the conference, the console is only minutely more powerful and the main gambit is the HDR (which they also mentioned will be patched in for older PS4s, so what's the point???) and better lighting. And it isn't even native 4k, it runs at 1080p and upscales to a higher resolution. Yeah, I don't care if the games they showed off look very slightly better on the Pro and Spider Man's underpants look really damn good in 4k.

I don't get what market this thing is aiming for. The hardcore techie has a top of the line PC, which is far more powerful than this. The average gamer either doesn't care about this or is pissed off about this whole ideal, and the casuals will likely get very confused.

I know this thing seems to be more for media, but it won't ship with a 4k Blu-ray drive and the old PS4 can already stream in 4K and is getting HDR patched in.

Now the slim PS4 actually looks pretty neat. I'd get that if you really want a PS4 and don't care about upscaled 4k and better grains of sand in Uncharted.

3 year old me was dead wrong on this. The lack of a 4k blu-ray drive is stupid but games look and perform WAY better on the pro