• Advertisement

Detective Pikachu (movie)

Jane

Didn’t even know this movie was coming until this trailer. The designs are actually kind of both interesting and weird to look at, especially the mime. A very casual pokemon watcher in my past (I haven’t watched it since uh May or some other girl was around?) but I’m still intrigued to see it at least. This premise is so wtf and different than the usual Ash Ketchum stuff so it’ll be a nice change of pace hopefully.

Honestly this is the most fascinated I’ve been with a trailer in quite awhile.  Not most excited, not most hyped, not even thinking this looks terrible.  Just fascinating.

All of you know how much I love the Pokémon franchise and I will openly admit that I was not convinced this movie was going to be anything but an easy cashgrab because Warner Brothers greenlit this to capitalize off the Pokémon Go phenomenon of 2016.

...this trailer actually defied my expectations.  This movie looks absolutely bizarre and really weird is my one sentence thought on this.  But I really think this looks strange and odd enough that this could be really good.  The CGI is surprisingly okay.  I mean yeah not all of the Pokémon converted to CGI completely well (Psyduck looks downright possessed and I think we are all in agreeance that Mr. Mime is nightmare material haha) but it blends in well with the dark neo-noir setting of the location.  Let’s be real here, Jigypuff as a mob boss is accurate if you want to talk about the anime version alone.  I do agree with a majority of the internet that Danny DeVito’s voice would have been more fitting with Detective Pikachu if you wanted a faithful adaptation of the actual game, but Ryan Reynolds had the comedic timing for the character down well.

I’m actually very intrigued to see more of this universe they are building for this movie.  Even if the future trailers are incredibly bad, this trailer has done enough to make me want to see this opening night.

I just saw a preview before the movie "Mary Poppins Returns". Holy C***!!!! o.o The movie ACTUALLY looks GOOD!!!! How in the H*** did they pull THAT hat trick off?! I was prepared to totally write the movie off as a pointless cash grab, and now they make it look good enough for ME to want to see it! So, I might ACTUALLY have to see it, let's just hope that the trailers aren't as HORRIBLY misleading as the animated movie "Fly Me to the Moon" was! :rolleyes: Enough said, for now! :cool:

the fuck this movie keeps getting better with every trailer

maybe this movie is bad idk

but whoever did marketing for it deserves a raise, that's for sure.

This movie is definitely awesome and I recommend any fan of Pokémon to see it.

I really thought Ryan Reynolds did a great job as Detective Pikachu and the whole real world with Pokémon was done real well, though I could've done without seeing the emphasis on Lickitung and Greninja licking people. As someone who played the game as well, I think they did a great job capturing the plot and even improved on some elements that wasn't in the game (the ending for example). I also enjoyed the few references from the anime they added into the film. I think this is my favorite Pokémon movie and favorite movie I've seen this year.

• Hug 1

I thought the movie was pretty good.  The world building in this movie was phenomenal.  I loved how they incorporated the perfect  Pokémon for each choice they made in this world.  Clearly they did their research with the property.  Every time a Pokémon was on screen, I was in awe.  And Ryan Reynolds was great as Detective Pikachu.

My only complaint is a huge one though and that was that I wasn’t nearly as invested in the human characters as I was in the Pokémon.  The human lead Tim was incredibly melodramatic about everything.  I get his backstory is sad but twenty minutes into the move I so badly wanted to tell him to cheer the fuck up. I really don’t think Justice Smith is that bad an actor, but this is the second blockbuster in a row where I got annoyed by his character (the other being JW: Fallen Kingdom).  And somehow, his love interest Lucy was even more annoying.  Her character was that grating. I was way more invested in the chemistry between Tim and Pikachu, hell even Pikachu and Psyduck more than I was with Tim and Lucy.

Spoiler

But the weirdest character was Bill Nighy’s absolutely called it villain.  I could tell from a mile away that he was going to be the twist villain.  Building up to that twist, he was very dull and wooden.  Like I just wanted him to become the bad guy already.  And when he became the villain...he was somehow funny as hell?  Like the twist was executed terribly.  It makes him the worst character by default, but it also makes him the best too?  I don’t know, but when he went into Mewtwo’s body and started to become this over the top cliche villain, I busted out laughing.  He was so bad, yet so good at the same time?  I had such weird feelings about this character.   How could someone be so boring, but then become unintentionally hilarious?

Also, once he went into Mewtwo’s body, I immediately knew Pikachu was going to be revealed as Harry this whole time.

Despite the human characters definitely being the worst thing about this movie, I really enjoyed Detective Pikachu.  It was a fun time despite being an absolutely flawed movie.  Best video game movie adaptation hands down.  Maybe other studios should take note and hire people who actually know the source material to make legitimately good video game movies (looking at you Paramount and Sonic the Hedgehog...easy target).

8/10

• Thanks 1