• Advertisement

Detective Pikachu (movie)

Jane

1 minute ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

Cool! Legendary Pictures has an amazing reputation so far, so this should bring hope to videogame-to-movie adaptations.

Warcraft wasn't very good though. Lol. Tbh, the only good game adaptation so far is Ratchet & Clank.

Edited by Teamwork

Detective Pikachu? You mean that one game that never released outside of Japan for some reason which makes me really mad?

I mean, maybe it will in the future, and I get it's not that big of a deal. But Detective Pikachu is so cute! (Even with the voice he has...) and I like the general concept of Great Detective Pikachu.

3 hours ago, Teamwork said:

Warcraft wasn't very good though. Lol. Tbh, the only good game adaptation so far is Ratchet & Clank.

I haven't seen it, but I thought that movie wasn't received very well. I honestly say though videogame-to-movie adaptations are normally a bad idea in general. Just because of what we've seen so far... But if this movie is centering around the cute lil' Detective Pikachu then I'll watch it. (But I guess I would watch anything related to Pokemon tbh)

57 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I haven't seen it, but I thought that movie wasn't received very well. I honestly say though videogame-to-movie adaptations are normally a bad idea in general. Just because of what we've seen so far... But if this movie is centering around the cute lil' Detective Pikachu then I'll watch it. (But I guess I would watch anything related to Pokemon tbh)

You're half-right. Critics and general audiences did not like it very much, to put it lightly. And admittedly, there are a lot of storytelling faults and you have to be a fan of the games to appreciate the depth that the characters unfortunately lacked, and a lot of the easter eggs. Personally, as an adaptation, I thought it was very faithful, but as a movie it was very messy. 

A film about Detective Pikachu is just weird enough to have my butt planted in the theater.

Better to experiment a simple concept before trying to adapt the more well known aspects of the franchise to the big screen.

16 hours ago, Teamwork said:

Did you see Warcraft?  I know you saw Ratchet & Clank so that's not it.  Once again, you can't generalize statements like this without seeing the movie for yourself.  I know people, and not just the general consensus and the almighty RottenTomatoes score, who thought Ratchet & Clank was terrible, yet I'm not going to say that since I never saw the movie for myself.  Also, the Resident Evil movies were pretty solid adaptations.  Not always the best movies, but they're amusing.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm down for a Pokemon movie adaptation.  Never seen Detective Pikachu but I think that's a safe start before going full on with an actual larger scale Pokemon movie.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2016 at 8:19 AM, Clappy said:

Did you see Warcraft?  I know you saw Ratchet & Clank so that's not it.  Once again, you can't generalize statements like this without seeing the movie for yourself.  I know people, and not just the general consensus and the almighty RottenTomatoes score, who thought Ratchet & Clank was terrible, yet I'm not going to say that since I never saw the movie for myself.  Also, the Resident Evil movies were pretty solid adaptations.  Not always the best movies, but they're amusing.

Oh, I can definitely see why people didn't like the Ratchet movie. I completely get it. The main problem with it was that it focused more on being faithful to the games than being a good movie. As a result, the writing is very sloppy and half-assed, and the direction and editing are all over the place. Without the deeper context to the characters or the lore that someone like me would have, the movie is just a generic hackneyed cash grab.

• Like 1

This trailer looks really good actually! I was expecting trainwreck with terrible graphics and corny jokes, but this trailer surprised me in a good way! I hope final product will be even better and I'm definitely going to see it in theater. 

I actually am willing to see this since I like Pokémon and the Detective Pikachu game. Course there is a distinct difference between the voices of Detective Pikachu in the game and movie. He sounded more hardboiled in the game, here he sounds more like Deadpool as a Pikachu. Though honestly it doesn't bother me that much.

I'm even more hyped for this movie now, the game was stunning (and almost made me cry) and by the looks of the movie's trailer, I think even more will be delivered in this interpenetration based off the original game. Also, Pikachu is adorable. ?