• Advertisement

Justice League

Clappy

10 hours ago, Clappy said:

Okay so who else has seen this?  Since I’m on mobile, I’m going to post spoiler free comments since there are no tags for it.

This is a step up from Batman v Superman without a doubt and a slight step up from Suicide Squad.  It’s definitely no Wonder Woman that’s for damn sure, so if you were thinking the DCEU is on the rise, slow it down because this movie kinda takes two steps back again.

Things I liked?  I liked seeing the characters interact.  It’s no Marvel in terms of entertaining hero v hero interaction, but it’s solid.  Batman and Wonder Woman still have the best chemistry of the bunch because Affleck and Gadot are good actors who still portray these characters pretty well.  Hell I think the rest of the Justice League does good work, which is saying something because I thought Ezra Miller would be a terrible Flash due to me thinking Ezra Miller is an obnoxious actor in general.  Jason Mamoa is good but I don’t think I’ll ever find Aquaman to be as badass as they want him to be...he’s still Aquaman, but that’s a prejudice that I just have to learn to accept haha.  The guy who played Cyborg is very good even though I keep forgetting the actors name.  He should be in more movies.

...for as much as I like these characters, the rest of the movie is just a fucking mess.  You can tell that BvS backlash just messed everything up production wise in order to make these movies more light hearted and fun.  Which it is but it’s at the expense of the story, the build up to this stage, and just everything feel absolutely rushed in order to make as much money as possible on the Justice League forming.  I knew this was going to happen the moment I saw Warner Brothers saying they were going to change the tone of these movies last year.  And yeah, this just feels thrown together because of it.  These guys should have come together at a slower pace and to fight a better villain because Steppenwolf was embarrassingly bad and will be incredibly forgettable.  The CGI work on him was an eye sore and he just did not feel like a villain worthy of facing the Justice League.  Let’s compare this to, what else, The Avengers.  That felt like a cause worthy of assembling The Avengers and watching them all together on the big screen for the first time felt like a freaking event.  With how iconic the Justice League is and these heroes are, it just did not feel like, eh why not work together to beat Steppenwolf?

I’m glad my expectations were lowered for this because I’m positive I would have hated this a lot more if they were super high.  Because as is, this is a 4/10 movie at  worst.  I think the seeds are there for this extended universe to move on the upswing at some point.  Warner Brothers was smart to make this a one, not two, part movie and delay the sequel for another four or five years.  That way, they can work on building the foundation for the rest of the DCEU so they can try this again once that sequel gets green-lighted and these characters get built up some more.  Because this phase just felt ridiculously rushed and hence why it’s big team up movie feels like such a mess.

Not gonna lie. I actually enjoyed the hell out of this movie, save for first 30 minutes, which was fucking bad and too Snyder-ish. But I gotta agree that it was a bloody mess. I did love team interactions and the humor was funny for the most part but there was not enough development for Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg I wanted to see. Yea yea, they did become heroes at the end but idk I wish I'd care more about them. And Steppenwolf too, the villain was so damn bland and lame, I couldn't care less about any of his scenes. DCEU should have taken its time to actually flesh out these characters, then make a bloody team up movie because they threw almost everything to us. At the very least, there's no need to set up these characters (save for end credits, which I'll get into in spoiler section), so they can finally shine in their own movies. I'm legit hyped for Aquaman's movie, not so much for Flash for doing Flashpoint but it could be a great way to reboot the whole universe and maybe Cyborg if it gets a good director. Now for some spoilers.

Spoiler

THEY FINALLY FUCKING CORRECTED SUPERMAN. Well, his post-resurrection scenes and then him changing so quickly was damn rushed but finally Superman isn't some fucking emo anymore, he was smiling and enjoying to kick some ass in the entire movie. He was legit symbol of hope and please make a Man of Steel sequel and highlight his character.

Soooooo they are setting up villains team up and I'm worried about how it'll go because they seriously need to set up some of the villains they are gonna introduce and I don't want Lex Luthor to be like his Batman v Superman self, so I hope this time they take their time to develop these characters for Justice League sequel. Plus a superhero movie about superhero team against a villain team up? FUCKING DEATHSTROKE? Hell yeah, I'm in.

I'm so happy for Green Lantern cameo, it wasn't Hal but as a GL fan, it's good to see they are gonna be focused in some future movies.

Superman and Flash getting ready for race was so adorbs and funny. We need more Flash and Superman interaction for the sequel man. 

I'm giving this a B, I'm aware of its flaws and It's my least favorite superhero movie of 2017 but I'm glad JL finally appeared on screen.

• Like 1

Yeah, I actually really liked this movie only coming in with the expectation that it was going to show that DC's movies are getting better. Yes, some stuff was campy, some stuff was predictable, Steppenwolf was a momma's boy, but honestly, I just couldn't get frustrated at it when I looked at it as ironically amusing and honestly loved everything else. The action was amazing, every scene of comic relief was on-point, and The Flash was Spider-Man. Which is a good thing because I love Spider-Man. Great movie, at least in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Metal Snake said:

Yeah, I actually really liked this movie only coming in with the expectation that it was going to show that DC's movies are getting better. Yes, some stuff was campy, some stuff was predictable, Steppenwolf was a momma's boy, but honestly, I just couldn't get frustrated at it when I looked at it as ironically amusing and honestly loved everything else. The action was amazing, every scene of comic relief was on-point, and The Flash was Spider-Man. Which is a good thing because I love Spider-Man. Great movie, at least in my opinion.

personally I wish Barry Allen wasn't so Spider-Man or pre-New 52 Wally West in this movie but Ezra Miller's Barry was pretty funny I let it slide.

On 11/19/2017 at 4:41 AM, Dr. WhoBruh said:

personally I wish Barry Allen wasn't so Spider-Man or pre-New 52 Wally West in this movie but Ezra Miller's Barry was pretty funny I let it slide.

On 11/19/2017 at 3:31 AM, Metal Snake said:

Since both of you mentioned it.  Like I said, Ezra Miller did a fine job with what he was given, but WhoBob is right.  He felt way too much like Tom Holland’s Spider-Man for my taste.  He doesn’t need to be him for us to instantly like him because Barry Allen is an interesting enough character to gain his own identity so we don’t need to compare him.

Can’t emphasize enough though that I think the DCEU is on the right track to rebound and keep improving.  When we get to the Flashpoint movie, we will see Ezra’s character become more than just the one note comic relief.

Oh and WhoBob, about that spoiler.  Couldn’t disagree more about them fixing Superman literally and metaphorically, hence why I didn’t include him in the Justice League as a team point.  Metaphorically, he is still by far the weakest link amongst the Justice League.  Besides that post credit scene that was fantastic with The Flash, the entire movie leaned on Superman being that beacon of hope that after three movies now, (that to me) he still hasn’t earned.  This universe has consistently entitled Superman as this important symbol of hope and it’s one thing to keep insisting that he is one but it’s another thing entirely to prove to the audience that he is as a character and he very much isn’t.  Literally...did we watch the same movie because Henry Cavill’s CGI’s face is hilariously fake :Laugh: .  I know that he had a mustache while filming that he wasn’t shaving because of his role in Mission Impossible 6, but it was supremely noticeable that his face looked different.

56 minutes ago, Clappy said:

Since both of you mentioned it.  Like I said, Ezra Miller did a fine job with what he was given, but WhoBob is right.  He felt way too much like Tom Holland’s Spider-Man for my taste.  He doesn’t need to be him for us to instantly like him because Barry Allen is an interesting enough character to gain his own identity so we don’t need to compare him.

Can’t emphasize enough though that I think the DCEU is on the right track to rebound and keep improving.  When we get to the Flashpoint movie, we will see Ezra’s character become more than just the one note comic relief.

Oh and WhoBob, about that spoiler.  Couldn’t disagree more about them fixing Superman literally and metaphorically, hence why I didn’t include him in the Justice League as a team point.  Metaphorically, he is still by far the weakest link amongst the Justice League.  Besides that post credit scene that was fantastic with The Flash, the entire movie leaned on Superman being that beacon of hope that after three movies now, (that to me) he still hasn’t earned.  This universe has consistently entitled Superman as this important symbol of hope and it’s one thing to keep insisting that he is one but it’s another thing entirely to prove to the audience that he is as a character and he very much isn’t.  Literally...did we watch the same movie because Henry Cavill’s CGI’s face is hilariously fake :Laugh: .  I know that he had a mustache while filming that he wasn’t shaving because of his role in Mission Impossible 6, but it was supremely noticeable that his face looked different.

You are right that he wasn't developed to convince us he's the beacon of hope and it was told right from the characters but one thing I'm glad is that they actually made him happy (save for him attacking JL lol). One thing I didn't like about Man of Steel and Batman v Superman is that he was often so moody and god-like figure, instead of being an actual human he was supposed to be, so they seem be in the right direction with Superman finally saving people, being less destructive and loving life. If they make Man of Steel sequel with a director that understands him, I'm all for it.

Also yeah, CGI Henry Cavill face was obvious at times lol.