• Advertisement

Stranger Things

Nosferatu!

This thrilling Netflix-original drama stars award-winning actress Winona Ryder as Joyce Byers, who lives in a small Indiana town in 1983 -- inspired by a time when tales of science fiction captivated audiences. When Joyce's 12-year-old son, Will, goes missing, she launches a terrifying investigation into his disappearance with local authorities. As they search for answers, they unravel a series of extraordinary mysteries involving secret government experiments, unnerving supernatural forces, and a very unusual little girl.

I'm about done with the first season, and let me just say that I really love this show. Check it out if you can! :) 

I just finished this. Totally amazing. Really great writing and characters, amazing acting, super creepy vibe. Thought the ending was a bit... meh, I don't know. It worked. Don't sleep on this one, guys. Couple of thoughts, though

Spoiler

did they find Barb? Or did I miss something? I remember they mention her car disappears and then it gets found by the State troopers and that's what clues Hopper into something weird going on, but, like, after that it feels like everyone almost collectively stop giving a shit about her. Nancy's the only one that kept caring, but after she and Jonathan compare stories and he develops that photo it feels like her goal changes pretty quickly from "gotta find Barb!" to "gotta kill this fucking monster!"

Also, couldn't stand those bully kids at all. Which I get was the point of them, and the writing/kid actors made them really believable assholes, but when they hold Dustin at knifepoint and tell Mike to jump off the cliff they looked really horrified that he actually did it and I don't know what the hell they expected was going to happen. He wasn't just gonna let Dustin get knifed, and they clearly weren't letting go of him anytime soon, so I'm not sure what they thought the outcome of that situation was going to be but it clearly didn't look like they expected him to do exactly what he was told. And then the fucking kid complains to his mom about his arm getting broken like he's the one in the wrong. Like I said, good job to the writers and actors for making everything about those bullies fucking horribly unbearable, but holy crap was everything about those bullies fucking horribly unbearable. 

On 7/31/2016 at 11:52 AM, terminoob said:

I just finished this. Totally amazing. Really great writing and characters, amazing acting, super creepy vibe. Thought the ending was a bit... meh, I don't know. It worked. Don't sleep on this one, guys. Couple of thoughts, though

Hide contents

did they find Barb? Or did I miss something? I remember they mention her car disappears and then it gets found by the State troopers and that's what clues Hopper into something weird going on, but, like, after that it feels like everyone almost collectively stop giving a shit about her. Nancy's the only one that kept caring, but after she and Jonathan compare stories and he develops that photo it feels like her goal changes pretty quickly from "gotta find Barb!" to "gotta kill this fucking monster!"

Also, couldn't stand those bully kids at all. Which I get was the point of them, and the writing/kid actors made them really believable assholes, but when they hold Dustin at knifepoint and tell Mike to jump off the cliff they looked really horrified that he actually did it and I don't know what the hell they expected was going to happen. He wasn't just gonna let Dustin get knifed, and they clearly weren't letting go of him anytime soon, so I'm not sure what they thought the outcome of that situation was going to be but it clearly didn't look like they expected him to do exactly what he was told. And then the fucking kid complains to his mom about his arm getting broken like he's the one in the wrong. Like I said, good job to the writers and actors for making everything about those bullies fucking horribly unbearable, but holy crap was everything about those bullies fucking horribly unbearable. 

When Eleven was in sensory deprivation she saw Barb dead and said "Gone" and Nancy winced, if I remember correctly.

I really loved this show and can't wait for future seasons. For some reason when I started I assumed it would be an anthology with a different story each season, but now I can't bear the thought of losing these characters.

Absolutely love the first season of this show.  I was hooked from the beginning all the way to the very end.  Amazing characters, really good writing, great pacing, and fantastic acting.  Who would have thought that Winona Ryder could be that good?  I certainly forgot with all the crap she has been in over the years.  

Best new series Netflix has made in awhile and I'm glad they recently announced this show is in consideration for getting a second season.  Netflix would be incredibly stupid not to renew it.  Don't care if it's a different anthology or with the same characters.  I can see more potential with a different anthology but I got way too attached to these characters as well for me to want them back again. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2016 at 6:52 PM, terminoob said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

They found Barb's body in the other dimension, while searching for Will. She was pretty rotten.

Also yeah those bullies were just wow. I mean one of them holding a knife and he told Mike to jump amd I was like HOLY FUCK IS THIS ACTUALLY A KID? 

Anyway, this was an excellent series for sure. I loved almost everything about it. Creepy, intruging, breathtaking, so sci-fi :wub:and emotional. I'm gonna praise this even more later for a reason. (smirk)

As for the finale, i had a few issues with it but for the most part, it was satisfying af and really intense finale. I hope it gets second season because I don't want this to die so soon, they can still do so much stuff with this show but if it does end, I'll remember it as such a fanrastic miniseries. <3

Reviving this topic to bring some season 2 news:

Stranger Things season 2 is beginning to take shape

The breakout Netflix drama from brothers Matt and Ross Duffer have enlisted Sadie Sink and Dacre Montgomery as series regulars for season two, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Additionally, breakout Joe Kerry (Steve Harrington) and Noah Schnapp (Will Byers) have been promoted from recurring to series regulars.

Sink will play Max, a tough and confident girl whose appearance, behavior and pursuits seem more typical of boys than of girls in this era. She has a complicated history and is generally suspicious of those around her.

Montgomery will play Billy, Max’s hyper-confident and edgy older step-brother. He steals girlfriends away from their boyfriends, is great at drinking games and drives a black Camaro. But lurking under his apparent charisma, is a violent and unpredictable nature.

Details about season two of the breakout 1980s drama remain sketchy, but the roles of Max and Billy are two of the three new faces expected to join the summer hit.

Source

Season 2 trailer shown at Comic-Con today. I'm really excited...it looks so good y'all. Seeing Will deal with the effects of being in the Upside Down is hurting my heart though :'(

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 1

Just finished season 2.

Spoiler

On the whole this season has been having a good chunk of really amazing cliffhangers and big moments, and the characters are still mostly phenomenal, but I can't help but feel like it's missing the heart of season one. I'm sure they deliberately wanted to do something different instead of just doing more of the same, but it feels like the group is split up for a lot of the season and Eleven is just off doing her own thing. I'm not the biggest fan of that in really anything, because one of the biggest strengths of the show is the chemistry between these kids and I'm mostly just watching to see these kids deal with this shit. As the writing delves deeper and deeper into trying to explain the Upsidedown and Will's condition and other kids like Eleven, it's just starting to get messier and messier and I can't keep everything straight. I still don't totally get why Eleven and the Upsidedown are connected, and they even had a recap at the beginning of the season. The plot was almost incomprehensible to me, but I still really want to see Will, Mike, Dustin, and Lucas just try to deal with it because they're a great group of characters and the actors are all fucking stellar, but when you have Dustin going off by himself and lying to everyone and being selfish and screaming into a walkie talkie for 40 minutes it's just not interesting.

On the topic of Dustin, I thought a bunch of his screentime this season was basically a waste. I thought Lucas and Max pairing off was super obvious, so the resolution of Dustin ultimately failing really put a damper on the finale for me.

I thought Max was a pretty cool addition, but I wish she had been given more to do. I understand that delving into her backstory and home life may have taken away time from other more pressing plotlines (especially because she's a new character and these plotlines have been lingering since season one, so we're not as attached to her as we are to everything else happening), but I think Eleven's story could've cut to the chase a bit faster so there'd be more time for Max. We got a small glimpse, but not enough to paint a full picture and if it doesn't get renewed for season three (or if they had planned on this being the last season) then they either could've cut out her and her brother all together or given us an episode dedicated to them. It felt like there were hints at something darker going on with them and their parents (I was getting the vibe that the dad was more powerful than we saw, like an adult Eleven), but without definitive confirmation one way or the other it was just odd.  If it was just an abusive household then that's an interesting thing to tackle but the time they had was just too limited. I never even understood why her brother hated Lucas so much - I couldn't tell if he was racist or if it was as simple as he just saw Lucas first.

Eleven's plot wasn't my favorite. It was cool to see another girl like her, but there were more questions than answers and nothing really left me satisfied. Like I said above, I wish they had cut to the chase sooner. Maybe have her find her sister in episode 5 and then leave in episode 8 and not have an entire episode dedicated to just that. Everything else was coming to a head at the same time and having a hard cut away from "IT'S A TRAP! GET OUT OF THERE!" to an episode with only Eleven was a weird decision (I guess it works if you binge it but still not my favorite thing).

Bob was a cool character that I wish had survived, but it totally made sense that he was destined to die. Thought him leaving the gun by accident was odd, and would've rather seen him put up a fight and realize the gun didn't work or something, but whattya gonna do.

The Nancy/Steve/Johnathan love triangle this season made the one last season feel like a waste of time (it felt like they went out of there way to make Steve and Nancy work out, so them breaking up so early this season was not my favorite thing), and then it climaxed and nothing was ever mentioned again. I get that there were more important matters to deal with, but Nancy and Johnathan just kind of disappeared from the story after they hooked up. 

Hopper's still my favorite character.

Overall really strong. Don't know if I like it more than season one, though.

20 hours ago, terminoob said:

Just finished season 2.

Reveal hidden contents

On the whole this season has been having a good chunk of really amazing cliffhangers and big moments, and the characters are still mostly phenomenal, but I can't help but feel like it's missing the heart of season one. I'm sure they deliberately wanted to do something different instead of just doing more of the same, but it feels like the group is split up for a lot of the season and Eleven is just off doing her own thing. I'm not the biggest fan of that in really anything, because one of the biggest strengths of the show is the chemistry between these kids and I'm mostly just watching to see these kids deal with this shit. As the writing delves deeper and deeper into trying to explain the Upsidedown and Will's condition and other kids like Eleven, it's just starting to get messier and messier and I can't keep everything straight. I still don't totally get why Eleven and the Upsidedown are connected, and they even had a recap at the beginning of the season. The plot was almost incomprehensible to me, but I still really want to see Will, Mike, Dustin, and Lucas just try to deal with it because they're a great group of characters and the actors are all fucking stellar, but when you have Dustin going off by himself and lying to everyone and being selfish and screaming into a walkie talkie for 40 minutes it's just not interesting.

On the topic of Dustin, I thought a bunch of his screentime this season was basically a waste. I thought Lucas and Max pairing off was super obvious, so the resolution of Dustin ultimately failing really put a damper on the finale for me.

I thought Max was a pretty cool addition, but I wish she had been given more to do. I understand that delving into her backstory and home life may have taken away time from other more pressing plotlines (especially because she's a new character and these plotlines have been lingering since season one, so we're not as attached to her as we are to everything else happening), but I think Eleven's story could've cut to the chase a bit faster so there'd be more time for Max. We got a small glimpse, but not enough to paint a full picture and if it doesn't get renewed for season three (or if they had planned on this being the last season) then they either could've cut out her and her brother all together or given us an episode dedicated to them. It felt like there were hints at something darker going on with them and their parents (I was getting the vibe that the dad was more powerful than we saw, like an adult Eleven), but without definitive confirmation one way or the other it was just odd.  If it was just an abusive household then that's an interesting thing to tackle but the time they had was just too limited. I never even understood why her brother hated Lucas so much - I couldn't tell if he was racist or if it was as simple as he just saw Lucas first.

Eleven's plot wasn't my favorite. It was cool to see another girl like her, but there were more questions than answers and nothing really left me satisfied. Like I said above, I wish they had cut to the chase sooner. Maybe have her find her sister in episode 5 and then leave in episode 8 and not have an entire episode dedicated to just that. Everything else was coming to a head at the same time and having a hard cut away from "IT'S A TRAP! GET OUT OF THERE!" to an episode with only Eleven was a weird decision (I guess it works if you binge it but still not my favorite thing).

Bob was a cool character that I wish had survived, but it totally made sense that he was destined to die. Thought him leaving the gun by accident was odd, and would've rather seen him put up a fight and realize the gun didn't work or something, but whattya gonna do.

The Nancy/Steve/Johnathan love triangle this season made the one last season feel like a waste of time (it felt like they went out of there way to make Steve and Nancy work out, so them breaking up so early this season was not my favorite thing), and then it climaxed and nothing was ever mentioned again. I get that there were more important matters to deal with, but Nancy and Johnathan just kind of disappeared from the story after they hooked up. 

Hopper's still my favorite character.

Overall really strong. Don't know if I like it more than season one, though.

Spoiler

I can help ya with some of the misunderstatements you have. Eleven has connection to Upside Down because she was the one that opened the gate in the first place. That was explored in season 1 and it makes sense that she's the one that has to close it. Plus she does have telekinesis, so she's able to close the gate.

Max's brother, Billy hated Lucas because he saw Max and Lucas arguing together and he doesn't want Max to get hurt by Lucas. It's his responsibility to protect her. Yeah, Billy is also abusive to Max but I don't think he's aware of the fact that he abuses her. He thinks being harsh equals making her protect herself.

I think with Dustin, they wanted to flesh him out more as a character and he was a lot of people's favorite kid, so I can see why he'd get his own story but I agree that it wasn't the strongest aspect of the season and I prefered kids being together. I didn't like him as much as first season but he's still a loveable goofball and I'm glad he was aware of his mistakes and they didn't make Lucas breaking the rule equal to Dustin's screw up.

I actually thought having Eleven doing her own thing was the best part of the season. I can see that going from episode 6's cliffhanger and then making the next episode full with Eleven was a confusing but I could let it slide. I enjoyed her interaction with her sister and it was great to see Eleven thinking Mike and the kids are her family. I really hope if there's season 3 (it seems that they wrapped up most of it), we'll see Eleven's sister again. I really hope the whole Eleven's father being alive isn't a thing, they closed that storyline perfectly.

As for Nancy/Steve/Jonathan storyline, I highly agree. I didn't mind that Steve and Nancy broke up because that was one of the few things that bothered me in season 1 finale and I always thought Nancy and Jonathan had more chemistry but them never speaking of this again after Steve told Nancy to go with Jon was so weird and they could have used more time to end their arc better. I'll say that Dustin/Steve dynamic is one of the best aspects of this season.

Bob was definitely a great character and It was sad to see him getting killed off, even though I saw it coming.

I'm so glad they tackled aftermath of Barb's death. I'm not one of those who loved Barb but she was important to Nancy's arc, so it was great to see how she died was exposed to the public (sort of but still).

Hopper/Eleven stuff was so gut punching man. I liked that Hopper treated Eleven like his daughter and I teared up how they made peace with each other and finally Eleven won't have to hide anymore.

So I personally thought the strongest aspects of this season kind of surpassed first season and I really loved them going bigger with the budget and it worked out so well, I was on edge of my seat. I actually liked this season a bit more than first season, even though I wish there would be more dynamic of the kids togethers and some of plots could have gotten a better resoultion. I'm not exactly sure what else they can do after they wrapped up the most important arcs this season, If we get a third season but If there's no season 3, I'm okay with how they ended this season. Such a great show overall.

6 minutes ago, Black Flash said:

If we get a third season but If there's no season 3, I'm okay with how they ended this season. Such a great show overall

Season 3 has been confirmed.

I've been a bit busy this weekend so I haven't been able to watch that much yet. I'm three episodes in and enjoying the season so far.

• Like 1