• Advertisement

How close do you consider your SB forum (or net in general) friends?

E.V.I.L.

Or in other words, do you put your friends you've met on the web on the same level as your real life friends?

Personally, I do consider you people my friends, however, I feel there are definitely different levels of how close I feel to a friend online. For example, there are some people who I will talk to mainly on the forusm and maybe the chat, and while I consider them good friends; on the other hand, I have a few VERY close internet friends who I actually talk to for the most part outside this forum, tell all my deepest secrets, have Skype calls that feel natural, etc. In aa way, it's just like real life where you have acquaintences (those who you casually talk to on the forujms), then good friends (those who you pc), then those few who you REALLY consider your close friends (those who you talk to all the time, contact regularly outside the forums with many different types of media, etc.)

Maybe that's just me though, how do you all view it?

We're like brothers. ONLY CLOSER.

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure I have more close friends on SBC/SBM than I do. Some of the people I'm close to are Cha, Aya, Katniss, Wumbo, Hal, and Prez. I can probably name some more.

• Like 4

Lately I've been talking to my online friends more than my rl friends, especially since I don't see my actual friends that often anymore because college has us all in different directions. I do feel close to certain people on here and SBM, though I also have online friends elsewhere that I've known for years and know a good bit about them and vice versa. 

I dunno about meeting anyone irl though. I kinda like just keeping the friendship through the net (plus the fact that I'm horribly awkward and shy irl). And I'm wary about giving out certain pieces of info like my Facebook or phone number.

As great as you guys are, I'm hoping that someday I can get out of my shell and be more comfortable maintaining friendships irl. I don't want to rely too much on this place for my social interaction.

Edited by Katniss

I don't really have any friends IRL or online that I'd consider "close". I certainly have a ton of acquaintances, but nobody I'd be too upset at not seeing anymore.

At one point, I had considered some of the people here to be the closest friends I've ever had in my life, like I could tell them anything and everything. But lately to be honest, I feel like I can't relate or I don't talk to my online friends as much anymore... 

It makes me kinda sad. Maybe its cuz I'm not on all the time, idk.

Edited by Sauce Mama
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sauce Mama said:

At one point, I had considered some of the people here to be the closest friends I've ever had in my life, like I could tell them anything and everything. But lately to be honest, I feel like I can't relate or I don't talk to my online friends as much anymore... 

Maybe its cuz I'm not on all the time, idk.

While I still view SBCers as some really good friends, I have to admit it's getting harder and harder to keep in touch to the oens I only talk to on SBC. On the other hand, I am extremely close to the few I talk to mostly outside of the forums rather than on them... but I do appreciate my talks on SBC a lot. 

• Like 2

Eh, almost all of my friendships in general have been really one-sided unfortunately. I view them as about equal, and I massively overshare to my friends. Hal and Popeye especially probably know almost everything about me.

It really took me 2 years to finally be friends with most people here tbh and I still feel like I'm not too close to anyone here except for a few who I talk to almost every day but still I love you guys so much and you guys have been really friendly and kind to me, I can't thank enough :) <3

I wish i had more time with my friends irl tho cuz I still love them but I'm not very talkative with them sadly :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sauce Mama said:

Yeah, I've been at this point for a while (and I'm on here a lot). In terms of friendship longevity I'm definitely known some of the people here for much much longer than the majority of people I'm friends with in real life, but in terms of how strong those friendships are... I dunno. I feel like they've gotten a lot weaker. When the only interaction I have with anyone is either through an Ask thread or quoting them in a topic it's kind of hard to connect to them.

• Like 2

I personally feel a lot closer to my irl friends. I can be my genuine self whenever I'm with them, which is something I've struggled with doing throughout most of my life. It's a lot easier to connect with someone you can actually hang out with, imo. But I consider most of my online friends to be like a second family to me, especially the ones I talk to on a daily basis (you know who you are ;)).

8 hours ago, Sauce Mama said:

4 hours ago, terminoob said:

Yeah, I've been at this point for a while (and I'm on here a lot). In terms of friendship longevity I'm definitely known some of the people here for much much longer than the majority of people I'm friends with in real life, but in terms of how strong those friendships are... I dunno. I feel like they've gotten a lot weaker. When the only interaction I have with anyone is either through an Ask thread or quoting them in a topic it's kind of hard to connect to them.

Honest truth right here for me too.  Both of them said it best.  I just don't feel like I can relate to my online friends like I once did.  I mean you all are great and I still value your friendships.  I've been friends with some of you for many years now and some for not as long but still as valued. I wouldn't trade any of my online friendships for anything.  Yet...I feel like time has passed me by in a way?  It probably has to do with my decreasing activity and even when I make time to try and connect with people on here, it just doesn't feel like it's as strong as it once was if that makes any sense.  Just really weak.  Like I look around and see all of these new in jokes, ask me threads, Skype chats, Snapchats, and so on and so forth.  And I just don't feel like I fit in like I once did.  

Man...this topic just got me kinda upset thinking about how I've been feeling lately when it comes to my friendships on here.  It's sad, but it's true.

For the most part I consider all of you to be pretty close since you're pretty much the only people I speak to on a regular basis. Sometimes i've felt distance between you guys and me because of cultural differences, given most of you are Americans, but in general I've gotten adapted to those differences throughout the years, and now I can discuss certain topics with you guys better. I could say the same about my friends from other forums I go to, even though they're not as close as my SBC friends imo. I don't speak to my irl friends as much since I mostly see them at events I go to like tournaments and whatnot. Would be nice to be closer to my irl friends but its easier to speak to you guys everyday than wait for weeks or even months to see my irl friends.

• Like 2