• Advertisement

70+ dead in attack on French city of Nice

Ron

A lorry has struck a crowd after Bastille Day celebrations in the southern French city of Nice, killing at least 75 people, officials are quoted as saying by local media.

It happened on the famous Promenade des Anglais after a firework display. The driver was "neutralised", and guns and grenades were found inside the lorry.

One image on Twitter showed about a dozen people lying on the street.

Officials said it was "an attack", asking local residents to stay indoors.

Many people were injured, some critically, in the incident on Thursday evening.

Nice Mayor Christian Estrosi said that "a lorry driver appears to have killed dozens of people".

Prosecutor Jean-Michel Pretre said the lorry drove two kilometres (1.2 miles) through a large crowd, the AFP news agency reports.

Full story here - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36800730

This is a lorry, for anyone who doesn't know: 

2536943.main_image.jpg 

• Like 1

There should be a LAW against things like this happening, ESPECIALLY in a city CALLED "Nice!" This is a terrible thing that shouldn't have happened! May those who have been affected by this tragedy be able to find some peace.

I feel really bad for the victims and their families and I give my condolences as always. It's a shame so many terrorist attacks have been occurring recently and it's a shame we've basically become numb to them as a society. Something does need to change. It's been terrifying for the past few or so years hearing about these horrific events.

Now, and this isn't directed at anyone in particular, but I feel like I should share these tweets from Psychicpebbles:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

There should be a LAW against things like this happening, ESPECIALLY in a city CALLED "Nice!" 

This may sound like me being an asshole, but I'm pretty sure most places have laws against murder.

It's becoming very hard to remain positive when things like this continue to happen back to back as they have been recently, both here and abroad, but as always, my condolences. I'd say something needs to change, but at this point, I'm honestly not sure what. This just happens so often now and it's hard to think of a solution. 

• Like 3

Statistically speaking, the world is more peaceful now than it ever has been before. It simply is the rise of technology, globalization, and 24/7 news stations that paints this picture of constant attacks – it appears that way because virtually anything that happens is reported, or people see it on social media, or it comes up somewhere on an news portal. What happened was horrible, I felt sick thinking about it, but this isn't a new thing. Humanity's always been like this. Look back to St. Bart's Massacre in France hundreds of years ago, which had significantly more casualties than any of these terrorist attacks have had – and that was the Catholics against Huguenots, no Muslims involved. So while it does seem like there is a consistency to these attacks, I believe it's a bit deceiving. 

The good news is that stuff like THIS type of thing appears to be pretty rare (when was the last time we heard of someone using a truck to plow down civilians?) –  people using airplanes and cars and trains to terrorize are not as common as people using firearms and explosive devices to terrorize. 

• Like 3

It's really disturbing that such an everyday thing as a truck/lorry is being used as a terrorist weapon (it's probably not as new as I think, just the first major time I've heard such an attack.) My condolences to the victims and their families :(