• Advertisement

New Client

Guest hilaryfan80

Guest hilaryfan80

For those who are curious, I had to make a new version of the SpongeCraft. The previous version relied on @Face's copy of SpongeCraft to make updates to it and his hard drive crashed a little while ago. We don't normally make a habit of making people do work, but sadly this was one of those cases. If you can, please uninstall the SpongeCraft client you have now and download the new one. This new client does not rely on anyone to have any copy of any kind - rather it checks for the latest version of the client and downloads it. This is much more efficient than the other client.

There was also a security issue with the old client. While the rest of SBC has moved on to full HTTPS and secure encryption, SpongeCraft was still in the old HTTP login. Yes, this means your SBC passwords have been going through the Internet in plain text, which is definitely not how the rest of SBC handles passwords and not how I would have liked for your information to be treated. If you feel the need to change your password, you may do so (I did). By having this new client release, all login screens on SBC are now encrypted with the latest encryption technology.

So these are the benefits of this new client:

• Client updates itself - woohoo!
  • Encryption - all communication with SBC is now encrypted, including your login information.
  • For events, the client may be updated to fit the theme that is going on within SBC (e.g. Octerror Fest).
  • The client is now portable - you may stick it on a flash drive and play anywhere!
  • Hard drive crash proof

If you are using a Minecraft client, you do not have to do anything. This only affects the SpongeCraft client.