• Advertisement

Ranking The 10 Best Songs of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 1

Hayden

I did something quite unorthodox by starting a show that had already began its season. In the Fall of 2015, I remember rolling my eyes at TV.com's praise of this series since it heaped similar praise onto Jane the Virgin.

Something draw me in to give it a chance though. While the show has some surprisingly decent humor, outrageously intricate situations, and some dedicated actors/actresses like Rachel Bloom and Santino Fontana, it's crucial to tribute Crazy Ex's biggest defining aspect. The outstandingly creative musical numbers.

I love when songs play into a narrative, and at many points in CEG they fit quite well or were just plain catchy and stood out. There are a plethora I can't get out of my head and sing to myself even two weeks after the finale. (I hope Season 2 has 22 episodes and is able to craft even more pieces)

So with that out of the way, I'll be doing what the title says. Plus some honorable mentions because 10 is too narrow in itself for a sampling of this lowkey show.

Feel free to comment or share your opinions on what you've seen or liked from this in the meantime.

I've only seen up to episode 11. So far my favorites are "West Covina", "Feeling Kinda Naughty", "Face Your Fears",  "The Sexy Getting Ready Song", and "You Stupid Bitch".

• Like 1

Alright, with the premiere less than a month away, I can't very well procrastinate on this or I'll ruin my perfect two per week reveal schedule. Get ready for this @Katniss and @Bojack Horseman Time to see Hayden of all people rank MUSIC. :woot:

10. JAP Battle

This does the rap genre some justice by ingraining a witty debate between two characters who are a reflection of one another. It perfectly establishes the history between Rebecca and Audra, and turns what would normally be a cliche perfectionist rivalry into something fun and energetic. Rebecca's imagination also allows Audra to spit out the most heinous of lyrics which would just go by passive aggressively in a real life conversation. While the villains of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend are usually themselves (in their own story), JAP Battle gives Audra enough spotlight to stand on her own as a villain instead of just seeming like more of Rebecca's insecurities. If there's one part that falters and feels forced it's when Rebecca and Audra say "they're both cool with black people", and then them also randomly stating they support Israel and are Liberals. There are a few instances of Rachel Bloom's politics creeping into the Season 1 songs, but these lines feel like the biggest disruption I can remember. Still, that doesn't rob it of its spot here, right on the edge of Top 10.

9. Oh My God I Think I Like You

I'm Greg/Rebecca trash. Even though it's the popular opinion. Save your shock. So first off, I have no idea how this song turns a bunch of scenes of raunchy sex into something romantic. It's genuinely touching to see Rebecca grapple with actual feelings, instead of her idealistic ones for Josh. Her denial with "No, no, no, no" is pretty heartbreaking. Also what a beautiful Greg/Rebecca marriage image to think about. Hopefully no IOD's or condoms will be invented that can stop the sweetness of hilltops, rowboats, and being surrounded by ducks.

• Like 3

8. Where's the Bathroom?

Catches the whirlwind Rebecca is feeling when her mother enters the picture to a tee. After so much build up to one of the major influences on Rebecca's psyche, this was the only introduction that made sense. Love the pacing and instrumental accompanying ever ridiculous thing her mother chides her about. By the end we're all left stunned and exhausted, and I'm left confused whether the high strung loon even found time to use the bathroom between her rapid observations and judgments.

7. I Could If I Wanted To

Perfectly describes my mentality in college this semester. It's catchy, it's simple, it's Santino Fontana. I like the camera angle and how it follows him through the streets, I like him splitting up those bananas, and I like the self aware jab that "this song sucks and he could make it good if he wanted to". It's clear Greg's mad at himself for the grade, but seeing him aggressively stroll around asserting to the world that he doesn't care is hilarious. I say whoopty freaking doo to some of CEG's big expensive production numbers, because this shows even a low budget song could leave a creative impact if they want it to.

• Like 2

6. Cold Showers Lead to Crack

"Just like the movie I Am Legend but not like that at all". A Rebecca lie exaggerated into a song! I like how big the ensemble gets and how absurdly easy it becomes to convince the entire apartment complex. I also like that I was able to find what this drew inspiration from. It's like "Ya Got Trouble" from a broadway musical called The Music Man. I just think this song was a little underrated and I commend it for being a bright spot in the slow moving 12th episode. Plus, maybe there's some truth in this lie. My daily hot shower is like a drug in how much energy it gives me, so think of what madness people will turn to without that refreshing sensation.

Don't go anywhere because the Top 5 will be added over the next few days leading up to the Season 2 premiere. 

• Like 2

5. Don't Settle For Me/Where is the Rock?

As you can see, we have a tie up in here between two smaller scale songs. One's a reprise callback to an earlier song, and another is a brief return from the imaginary band that sang Textmergency. Vella killed what was probably her only singing role in Season 1, if I remember correctly. She NEEDS to be given more songs, because that was badass and kind of poignantly sad how she was willing to give up Greg like that. (Even if it was later revealed as a test). I actually grew to like Greg/Heather on the side, and if Heather gets some better development in Season 2 I could full time ship it. For most of Season 1 it felt like they didn't really know where to put Heather, but I think they'll find a nice groove for her now since she might have been a last minute character before. Now onto some rock. No pun intended. The look on Rebecca's face as one of her Josh ruses completely cracked was priceless. As was the blonde girl invading Rebecca's personal space to ask Rebecca if she saw what she did there. Josh isn't as a dumb as a rock, but this song is clever enough to be a diamond in the rough.

• Like 2

4. I Have Friends

We've reached the classic four countdown. This song works as both an upbeat weirdo palooza, and a sad reprise later on in the beach/party bus episode's opening. Underneath its exterior is a really lonely core and the way they used Rebecca's younger self for comparison was perfect. It's ridiculous how freaky and cheery everyone is in the friend meeting segments, and it has some other great touches of comedy like people tossing pizza slices at Rebecca both in present and past. (You know she's hated if people are wasting good pizza). No one can objectively say that they do not have all the friends, because this one struck a chord of relatability with the audience.

• Like 2

3. I'm a Good Person

This is Rebecca at her highest point of fun silly crazy. See, it's not the sex songs or the music video parodies that feel like Rachel Bloom's best work, it's when she allows Rebecca to bounce off of a lot of individuals with a lot of energy that she gets some magic going. Rebecca is emboldened in her psyche to tackle Greg's judgment and cum her good in his face, not caring about the strangers she hurts along the way to impress him. It's representative of a lot of what happens when she tries to get Josh's approval, introducing us to our protagonist's complicated moral actions. Rebecca is still an anti-hero and not Mother Theresa Luther King, but we understand her motivations and what she's trying to prove, ultimately more to herself than just the guys. Newsflash fuckwads, this song was written by a good person.

• Like 2

2. What'll It Be

First song Santino knocks out of the park. Greg gets to sing about his lonely situation stuck at a bar on Thanksgiving. A dead-end job and he's stuck in a town he doesn't want to be in. It's a very relatable problem to be trapped somewhere you don't want to be. The depth of Greg's unhappiness is really on display here, even if he realizes he's a piano prodigy. While Rebecca is convinced she's found the promised land in West Covina, Greg's living out his personal nightmare. This is the point in the series where we become as invested in Greg as Rebecca. They really feel like leads in contrasting positions. While this may have not been uplifting, it certainly was poignant. For the number 1 song, I leave you on this 2016 New Year's Eve with one question. What'll it be?

• Like 2

1. I Gave You a UTI

That's right video thumbnail! This song is a wonderland of just plain WTF. Rebecca is even too exasperated with the concept's abnormality to sing  It's vastly original and an immense earworm to boot. Honestly this song has everything. Trumpets, background clapping, and even a killer opening sequence of banging pots and pans. Seasons 1's Greg songs range from angry to sad, so to see him goofy and boasting about giving his girlfriend a UTI is gold. He uses a wooden spoon as a microphone! Plus his spastic body part movements and slides add an extra zany element. Finally, do I even need to mention the lyrics? They're the funniest sex themed ones in the whole series. If it hurts to laugh so much that you make a leak, well that's just CEG's technique.

Thank you all for bearing with my update frequency. I will start a top 10 for the Season 2 songs in about a month when the current season ends :)

• Like 2

I was not expectinng #1 to be that. Well It's not my favorite Greg song but it was definitely refreshing to see him singing with joy, albeit still a bit hateful :P, instead of sadness and anger. My #1 song of season 1 would be probably Settle For Me or West Covina but then again so many great songs out there in season 1. Surprised to see Dream Ghost didn't appear on the list, I actually think it's one of CEG's best songs ever. Great list tho, can't wait for season 2 list.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2017 at 3:48 PM, Dr. WhoBob said:

I was not expectinng #1 to be that. Well It's not my favorite Greg song but it was definitely refreshing to see him singing with joy, albeit still a bit hateful :P, instead of sadness and anger. My #1 song of season 1 would be probably Settle For Me or West Covina but then again so many great songs out there in season 1. Surprised to see Dream Ghost didn't appear on the list, I actually think it's one of CEG's best songs ever. Great list tho, can't wait for season 2 list.

If it's any consolation I originally considered doing honorable mentions which included West Covina, Dream Ghost, and You Stupid Bitch. So they were close.

I've also decided to announce an early renewal for a top 10 songs of Season 3 :P

• Like 1